Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All the Irish have left

• 02-03-2012 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.
    The EU has taken away everything we have which makes us Irish and not just Europeans. We lost the Punt, now its the Irish driving licence. We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    The Irish language is dying out, and the Irish Government has sold our sovereignty to the EU.
    Ireland has become a country of bastardised American and British culture.
    The next thing the EU will want us to do is drive left hand drive cars on the right side of the road, in order to harmonise with the rest of the EU.
    Membership of the EU has its benefits, but right now the cons outweigh the pros. The Irish are losing everything they have to the EU. The sad thing is that the Irish Government are letting them. We are losing all we have left.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

we still have spuds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Things change. If people had the same attitude hundreds of years ago nothing would ever change. We'd be in darkness. Let's cut the bull**** going forward...

Also, are you a troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

we still have spuds

Actually massive amounts of potatoes are imported to Ireland from the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.
    The EU has taken away everything we have which makes us Irish and not just Europeans. We lost the Punt, now its the Irish driving licence. We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    The Irish language is dying out, and the Irish Government has sold our sovereignty to the EU.
    The next thing the EU will want us to do is drive left hand drive cars on the right side of the road, in order to harmonise with the rest of the EU.
    Membership of the EU has its benefits, but right now the cons outweigh the pros. The Irish are losing everything they have to the EU. The sad thing is that the Irish Government are letting them. We are losing all we have left.

What the **** are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I don't think that post could have been make by anyone with a more ironic username.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

We still have our red lemonade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We still have our red lemonade.

They can take my lemonade and eat all our swans... But they'll never take away my Clonakilty pudding, my red pubes & freckles dammit.

Things change. If people had the same attitude hundreds of years ago nothing would ever change. We'd be in darkness. Let's cut the bull**** going forward...

Also, are you a troll?

Electric Ireland (formerly ESB) are doing a good job of putting us in the dark by raising bills. You think we would be in darkness without progress? Progress is putting us into the dark faster.
    Going forward is being part of the EU? The EU is going backwards not forward. Their economy is shrinking not growing.
    I am not a troll. My opinions differs from yours, but that doesn't make me a troll for expressing it on a forum.

I don't think that post could have been make by anyone with a more ironic username.

I am glad you get the irony of it.
    So many people don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.

Yime to go back home to Blighty Johnny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I remember the day down in Rosslare when I sat on the docks and watched the Eurocrats load up the ferries with lorry loads of hurleys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What happened to hurling? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's all the Foreigners coming over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I think he might actually be talking about home tbh, I'm looking out my window here and I see a tricolour at full mast. I see a sign and it's in both English and As Gaeilge...my own name is still Irish...that hasn't changed. My drivers licence is as gaeilge and in english.

Nope...Johnny is in a different country alright.

England is not my home.
    Home is where one belongs.
    That would like suggesting Shane McGowan returns to Kent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

The metric system makes logical sense. The other system is just random.

Is it not British anyway?

No.
    Its more a case of all the Irish emigrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

All the Irish have left;

Yes, that is definitely on the cards. Once the new format driving licenses are issued, then the Govt has plans to transition to driving on the RHS.

They are going to phase it in gradually. It will start with just trucks, then cars with even number plates, then those with oddones, over about a 4 month period.

-Foxt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should reintroduce a ban on the johnnies as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

The Eu has nothing to do with most of the OPs points. He is not a smart man

OneArt wrote: »
    The metric system makes logical sense. The other system is just random.

Is it not British anyway?

The metre was French, not British.

However, in 1793, France adopted as its official unit of length a metre based on provisional results from the expedition. Although it was later determined that the first prototype metre bar was short by a fifth of a millimetre because of miscalculation of the flattening of the Earth, this length became the standard. The circumference of the Earth through the poles is therefore slightly more than forty million metres (40 007 863).[4]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

No.

It's a case of the Irish going abroad then coming back with their heads full of ideas.

Bad things, ideas! Rice & pasta ffs! What's wrong with spuds?

Going abroad is bad for our heritage.

No.

Ah sure, no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Let us give up Cork as the sacrificial lamb to the EU so in return we can keep our Irishness......sounds like a win - win situation to me anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Tayto
    Bacon and Cabbage
    British postboxes painted green
    Club Orange/Rock Shandy/Lemon
    King Crisps
    Hurling and Gaelic Football
    Red Lemonade
    Mince meat and boiled spuds
    Drystone walls
    The Late Late Show
    Complaining about The Late Late Show
    Standing down the back at Mass and leaving before the Communion
    Lyon's Tea
    Liveline
    Emerald sweets
    "Stand clear: luggage doors operating!"

Sure we'll be grand for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

1All the Irish have left;
    2Irish names.
    3Irish accents.
    4Gaelic Football.
    5Hurling.
    6The tricolour flag.
    1-it's actually a tiny minuscule minority
    2-if anything,more people are calling their children Irish names.
    3-just no.
    4-take a look at the fixtures for the weekend.
    5-see 4
    6-they must have been backwards Ivory Coast flags flying in the Aviva the other night.

What a crock of bullshít :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

kfallon wrote: »
    Let us give up Cork as the sacrificial lamb to the EU so in return we can keep our Irishness......sounds like a win - win situation to me anyway :p

You think we have an ego now, wait till we get into Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im Irish AND a European. Ive eaten me own swans.

With curry sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.

:pac: I couldn't give a flying F.. you sound like some 70-80 year old ould lad. Are you sure it's not the shilling and halfpence you want back?

Looking down through history, countries, cultures, languages and people have always been evolving. It's called progress, get with it or get left behind....the alternative is ending up like Cuba or North Korea.

kfallon wrote: »

No, let them have Donegal; the county the North didn't want.
    Its already the forgotten county, so we wont miss it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

TheZohan wrote: »
    I think he might actually be talking about home tbh, I'm looking out my window here and I see a tricolour at full mast. I see a sign and it's in both English and As Gaeilge...my own name is still Irish...that hasn't changed. My drivers licence is as gaeilge and in english.

Nope...Johnny is in a different country alright.

But you're in New York?

:pac: I couldn't give a flying F.. you sound like some 70-80 year old ould lad. Are you sure it's not the shilling and halfpence you want back?

Looking down through history, countries, cultures, languages and people have always been evolving. It's called progress, get with it or get left behind....the alternative is ending up like Cuba or North Korea.

No, I just want to bring back the Irish punt (not the shilling and half pence).
    The same as 680 others here:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-the-PUNT-Irish-Pound/166331883412705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No, I just want to bring back the Irish punt not the shilling and half pence).
    The same as 680 others here:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-the-PUNT-Irish-Pound/166331883412705

680, that should swing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement

Poor old Johnny Foreigner. Spent his youth in his native England, ostracised and shunned by his pals for being "Irish."

"I'll show them" he says. "I'll go to where I belong. Ireland, the birthplace of my ancestors. Then I will truly feel at home."

But, of course, when he lands he's confronted by the reality in Ireland. Quite different from the dancing on the crossroads images he comforted himself with in his youth.

"Where are the comely maidens? The singing bishops? The punts?" There has to be someone to blame. It's not like he deluded himself into thinking Ireland hasn't progressed beyond the 1980s.

"Ah, it's the EU" he mutters angrily to himself. "They're the ones taking the Ireland out of Ireland. They're swapping our Cadet Red Lemonade for Mountain Dew."

So he registers on Boards and he posts and he posts and he posts about being Irish and how we're not Irish enough. But deep down, he knows he's just another Englishman, telling the Irish how to be Irish.

Poor old Johnny Foreigner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

we still have spuds

"You may take our freedom; but you'll never take our spuds".

Enda Kennys defiant speech to the European Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Plenty of culture around if you want to find it. If your sitting around waiting for the government to shove it in your face its not going to happen.

Its a bad attitude to have Johnny, if you want to keep a culture alive you have to get out and contribute, not sit back and hope the government does because you like the idea of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I think they tried and failed to take our Begrudgery but failed.

I'll have a look for the source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

They can take our moral, they can take our money & soverignity

but they'll never take our FFREEEDOOMMMM.....

/oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

"they took our miles"

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Paparazzo wrote: »
    "they took our miles"

The B@stids!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Johnny foreigner your not going to like the fact that the new drivers licenses can be obtained in English and Polish if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

They took our jeerrrrrbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Still got one of the greatest musical duos in the world of music today in Jedward. So it isn't all bad for you. You might win Eurovision too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

KeithAFC wrote: »
    We still got one of the greatest musical duos in the world of music today in Jedward. So it isn't all bad for us. We might win Eurovision too.

G'Day Paddy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.

If you're trying to rouse the freckled red-haired rabble to grab their pitchforks and hang-sangwiches and march on Brussels then you will will fail. You are talking nonsense.

Kilometres > Miles anyday. Much rather say I was doing 100 out the ring-road than 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

dont forget we have......

the birthday bumps

and there is also a place in Galway called Muckanaghederdauhaulia

and we'll always have Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    A mile is 1760 yards. Way easier to count meters!
    Would this mean cheaper cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I like kilometers, and the metric system in general; it makes much more sense than the Imperial system.

Feck off with yer 'my car gets 40 roods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it'

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement