Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All the Irish have left

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

We're still a sheep-like, self loathing shower of superstitious cowards though!

They'll never take that from us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gjc wrote: »
    and we'll always have Father Ted.

British... Like our hurley's we gave it away!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Still got one of the greatest musical duos in the world of music today in Jedward. So it isn't all bad for you. You might win Eurovision too.

Dam straight, they can never take our eurovision record... or Jedward, they are ours to torture the EU with. See we always find a way to get revenge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

G'Day Paddy :D

Always thought of him as a Ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Electric Ireland (formerly ESB) are doing a good job of putting us in the dark by raising bills. You think we would be in darkness without progress? Progress is putting us into the dark faster.
    Going forward is being part of the EU? The EU is going backwards not forward. Their economy is shrinking not growing.
    I am not a troll. My opinions differs from yours, but that doesn't make me a troll for expressing it on a forum.

Electric Ireland are the reason we're going backwards is it? Right.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

token101 wrote: »
    Electric Ireland are the reason we're going backwards is it? Right.....

I wish their meter would go backwards.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.
    The EU has taken away everything we have which makes us Irish and not just Europeans. We lost the Punt, now its the Irish driving licence. We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    The Irish language is dying out, and the Irish Government has sold our sovereignty to the EU.
    Ireland has become a country of bastardised American and British culture.
    The next thing the EU will want us to do is drive left hand drive cars on the right side of the road, in order to harmonise with the rest of the EU.
    Membership of the EU has its benefits, but right now the cons outweigh the pros. The Irish are losing everything they have to the EU. The sad thing is that the Irish Government are letting them. We are losing all we have left.

Good riddance to it, and good riddance to catholic internal devalera Ireland when incest was the only thing that kept us warm in our straw beds.

The EU was a catylist for modernizing the empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

ejmaztec wrote: »

Turn off or stop using the power then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

England is not my home..

go home ya brit
    That would like suggesting Shane McGowan returns to Kent.

wish he would he's nothing but an embarrassment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Since when are we defined by road signs and driving licences :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Is Johnny on the gear again? If Johnny wants to be Irish, let him. There's plenty of new Irish being born there and plenty coming to live in Ireland - we come in all shapes, sizes and colours now :D

I think it's a bit unfair, akin to plastic paddy namecalling, when some with an Irish heritage are proud of it (misguided or not) aren't allowed fit in and be who they want to be. And I say this as someone who finds Johnny objectionable on many levels!

Other cultures can celebrate their heritage (generations after becoming a diaspora) - why can't the Irish, either in London, New York, wherever?

One of my fondest memory was us sitting in a pub in Tooting on Paddy's Day some years back and the proud parents with their kids up Irish dancing on the stage. Kids of all different colours but all with Irish heritage and proud of it. And I say this as someone who doesn't do the pride thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

token101 wrote: »
    Turn off or stop using the power then!

That's another version of going backwards, but I didn't like the stone age the last time round.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

my Clonakilty pudding, my red pubes & freckles dammit.

Lol, is that what you call it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Electric Ireland (formerly ESB) are doing a good job of putting us in the dark by raising bills. You think we would be in darkness without progress? Progress is putting us into the dark faster.
    Going forward is being part of the EU? The EU is going backwards not forward. Their economy is shrinking not growing.
    I am not a troll. My opinions differs from yours, but that doesn't make me a troll for expressing it on a forum.
    Yea, but, aren't you...well you know......British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's very annoying when Irish people come home and start **** on about how great the Irish are. They're overcompensating for something imo, or maybe it's some sort of stupid guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

FoxT wrote: »
    Yes, that is definitely on the cards. Once the new format driving licenses are issued, then the Govt has plans to transition to driving on the RHS.

They are going to phase it in gradually. It will start with just trucks, then cars with even number plates, then those with oddones, over about a 4 month period.

-Foxt

hasn't that started already? we had a number of people including a politican drive on the wrong side of the naas dual carrigeway /m7 recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

They will phase it in on alternate days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.
    The EU has taken away everything we have which makes us Irish and not just Europeans. We lost the Punt, now its the Irish driving licence. We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    The Irish language is dying out, and the Irish Government has sold our sovereignty to the EU.
    The next thing the EU will want us to do is drive left hand drive cars on the right side of the road, in order to harmonise with the rest of the EU.
    Membership of the EU has its benefits, but right now the cons outweigh the pros. The Irish are losing everything they have to the EU. The sad thing is that the Irish Government are letting them. We are losing all we have left.

That the tricolour is still "ours" is debatable, given that both FF and SF (ab)use it in their logos.

As for driving left hand drive cars "to harmonise with the rest of the EU", I think you're forgetting that the UK is in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I was born in London and lived there for 28 years. I have also lived with my cousin in New York for 3 months.
    To be honest with you I would not choose to live in either city.
    I moved to Ireland from London 3 years ago, and my quality of life is better here

pppfffttt

your only living in Ireland for three years, who is this "we" you are talking about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Personally I have issues with those Johnny Come Lately Celts coming over here and displacing our original settlers.
    I wouldnt trust Ireland with a pair of scissors. We need minding and i think the Germans will do a goo job of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

No, I just want to bring back the Irish punt (not the shilling and half pence).

What do ya mean you want the punt back?

The shilling and halfpence is our original currency...a good honest british currency at that which lasted hell of a lot longer than the punt.]

Lets all turn back the clocks again and go back to the good ould days when life was better and we were all poor as f*** but sure we were happy with them soft mists rolling down through the glens and molly rolling her trolly through them streets of Dublin roaring cocks for all to hear.

Now all we got left are climate change and american sweatshops for the irish masses to slave in, Microsoft, Google, Starbucks, Buck Rodgers from the 21st Century Fox.

Oh to be back again!

'September 1913' William Butler Yeats

What need you being come to sense,
    But fumble in a greasy till,
    And add the halfpence to the pence
    And prayer to shivering prayer, until
    You have dried the marrow from the bone?
    For men were born to pray and save:
    Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What do ya mean you want the punt back?

The shilling and halfpence is our original currency...a good honest british currency at that which lasted hell of a lot longer than the punt.]

Lets all turn back the clocks again and go back to the good ould days when life was better and we were all poor as f*** but sure we were happy with them soft mists rolling down through the glens and molly rolling her trolly through them streets of Dublin roaring cocks for all to hear.
    Feck that. Lets all go back to the proper Ireland; the Ireland that was, before the Brits got their hands on it. I'd love to be illiterate, live in a hovel with my 25 siblings, and die of 'flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

kylith wrote: »
    Feck that. Lets all go back to the proper Ireland; the Ireland that was, before the Brits got their hands on it. I'd love to be illiterate, live in a hovel with my 25 siblings, and die of 'flu.

Ah, that was Ireland while the Brits had their hands on it.

Ah, that was Ireland while the Brits had their hands on it.
    And before they got their hands on it. 900 years ago we weren't exactly the epitome of civilisation. The main difference before we were colonised is that we almost certainly had better diets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

ejmaztec wrote: »

Look at it in a mirror. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

And before they got their hands on it. 900 years ago we weren't exactly the epitome of civilisation. The main difference before we were colonised is that we almost certainly had better diets.

We were actually, for a few hundered years while the rest of Europe was in a Dark age of mauarding Barbarians, we had a flowering Civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

It's all the Foreigners coming over.

Search for new life begins again. Time changes... Please accept the fact that one can not live having his/her feet up on the coffee table and pour the booz like there is not bottom in the bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

old hippy wrote: »
    Is Johnny on the gear again? If Johnny wants to be Irish, let him. There's plenty of new Irish being born there and plenty coming to live in Ireland - we come in all shapes, sizes and colours now :D

I think it's a bit unfair, akin to plastic paddy namecalling, when some with an Irish heritage are proud of it (misguided or not) aren't allowed fit in and be who they want to be. And I say this as someone who finds Johnny objectionable on many levels!

Other cultures can celebrate their heritage (generations after becoming a diaspora) - why can't the Irish, either in London, New York, wherever?

One of my fondest memory was us sitting in a pub in Tooting on Paddy's Day some years back and the proud parents with their kids up Irish dancing on the stage. Kids of all different colours but all with Irish heritage and proud of it. And I say this as someone who doesn't do the pride thing :D

I don't think anyone really has a problem with Johnny calling himself Irish. No harm in that. But standing on a soapbox and giving out to the rest of us for not living up to his fantasies of what Ireland should be like isn't on, in fairness. He can be as Irish as he likes and we can be as Irish as we like.

We were actually, for a few hundered years while the rest of Europe was in a Dark age of mauarding Barbarians, we had a flowering Civilisation.
    That's as may be, but we were still living in wattle and daub housing and dying of minor infections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Poor old Johnny Foreigner. Spent his youth in his native England, ostracised and shunned by his pals for being "Irish."

"I'll show them" he says. "I'll go to where I belong. Ireland, the birthplace of my ancestors. Then I will truly feel at home."

But, of course, when he lands he's confronted by the reality in Ireland. Quite different from the dancing on the crossroads images he comforted himself with in his youth.

"Where are the comely maidens? The singing bishops? The punts?" There has to be someone to blame. It's not like he deluded himself into thinking Ireland hasn't progressed beyond the 1980s.

"Ah, it's the EU" he mutters angrily to himself. "They're the ones taking the Ireland out of Ireland. They're swapping our Cadet Red Lemonade for Mountain Dew."

So he registers on Boards and he posts and he posts and he posts about being Irish and how we're not Irish enough. But deep down, he knows he's just another Englishman, telling the Irish how to be Irish.

Poor old Johnny Foreigner.

I suggest you delete this post.
    I have reported it.
    Moderator? You should know better then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I have reported it.

ha, what's wrong with his post. what reason did you give for reporting it? not agreeing with you?

fryup wrote: »
    go home ya brit

Reported.

go home ya brit

Reported.

mad for reporting you are, almost as if you started this thread just to cause trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

go home ya brit

Reported.

How is calling someone 'British' abuse? :pac:

Yea, but, aren't you...well you know......British?

Trolling (again).
    I have an Irish passport, and Irish citizenship.
    I am Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

chin_grin wrote: »

The word was "brit" and it's all about context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

All the Irish (......)the EU. The sad thing is that the Irish Government are letting them. We are losing all we have left.

So you're blaming Europe for anglicisation.......

I am Irish.
    I take being called British an insult.

I am Irish.

reported for calling being called British an insult :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I am Irish.

Why is being British an insult? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

yes if only there was a charismatic leader to bring back the glory of our ancestors, improve the economy and rout out the jews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

TheZohan wrote: »

yes, Johnny Foreigner you shouldn't be ashamed of who you are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

That's as may be, but we were still living in wattle and daub housing and dying of minor infections.
    In fairness most of what is now considered Europe was in similar conditions, and what is now called Britain before it was colonised by the French was no exception. The idea of sophisticated and urbane people speaking with received English accents riding roughshod over some kind of mucksavage native americans is flat out wrong in just about every sense. And even with that it took them 600 years to extend their power beyond a few towns.

Ireland found itself in the unfortunate position of being too far from Europe to really take advantage of the military technological improvements resulting from the incessant fratricidal wars, and too near to avoid having that technology leveraged against the population. The few cultural artifacts which survive unlooted show signs of a fascinating society and a deep, rich ancient culture with its roots stretching back many thousands of years.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Some people still hold a grudge over the population being 30% less than it was 150 years ago. Silly, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.

So much wrong with this post, Hypocrisy and contradictions are very obvious.

I love how the EU gets the blame for loss of our language !!

What country are from again, Johnny ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I have reported it.
    go home ya brit

Reported.

For a bloke who used to sell a lot yolks your doing a lot of singing...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Also, are you a troll?

Teddy you are talking bollix my dear sir. The man has a very valid point and all you can do is come up with an unjustified troll reply. point made. :D

charlemont wrote: »

For a bloke who used to sell a lot yolks your doing a lot of singing...:D

I was a criminal.
    Now I am retired, and a law abiding citizen.
    You have to play the game.

charlemont wrote: »
    So much wrong with this post, Hypocrisy and contradictions are very obvious.

I love how the EU gets the blame for loss of our language !!

What country are from again, Johnny ??

I am from the EU.
    They rule my country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Nationalism is for loosers (no seriously, it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Nationalism is for loosers (no seriously, it is).

Hey I resent that, I'm loose. :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement