Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All the Irish have left

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I was a criminal.
    Now I am retired, and a law abiding citizen.
    You have to play the game.

...you still haven't explained why you're blaming the EU for anglicisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.
    The EU has taken away everything we have which makes us Irish and not just Europeans. We lost the Punt, now its the Irish driving licence. We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    The Irish language is dying out, and the Irish Government has sold our sovereignty to the EU.
    Ireland has become a country of bastardised American and British culture.
    The next thing the EU will want us to do is drive left hand drive cars on the right side of the road, in order to harmonise with the rest of the EU.
    Membership of the EU has its benefits, but right now the cons outweigh the pros. The Irish are losing everything they have to the EU. The sad thing is that the Irish Government are letting them. We are losing all we have left.

1. Irish names - Still being used. My brother, one of my best friends and 5 of my cousins have Irish names, as do a good 30% of my classmates in college.

2. Irish accents - what accents do you think we have?! :confused:

3. GAA and Hurling - really? There are thousands of clubs registered with the GAA, and if you really think the sports are dead, try getting a Luas on the day of the All-Ireland semi-finals and finals!

4. The tricolour flag - is everywhere...

5. Sure don't our Euros have harps on them, tis grand :P

6. Kilometres are more logical and the mile wasn't uniquely Irish anyway

7. The Irish language has been "dying out" for years now, yet it never actually has. I reckon its status has stayed pretty static for the last ten years or more; if anything, its status has improved with TG4 and people like Des Bishop learning it.

I don't think we're exactly giving up our culture - we're adding to it (which is fine by me, I don't want to be limited to potatoes, bacon, cabbage and coddle forever!) but we still have a lot of stuff that's inherently Irish and even when we adopt a foreign culture, we usually have our own spin on it.
    Plus the Irish attitude (in general) is unique. I actually love that we're so self-deprecating and can laugh at ourselves!!

(TL;DR - sure tis grand!! :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Nodin wrote: »

It's because of his lack of intelligence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

TheZohan wrote: »
    Why is being British an insult? :confused:
    Nonsense! He said being called British was an insult not being British itself. I would find it just as offensive as a Canadian would if they were called American. People are too quick to see prejudicial undertones when in actual fact he's just proud to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Hey. I'm British. And this country seems pretty Irish to me ;) I saw leprechauns at the bottom of Grafton street yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

So let me get this straight

British born man to Irish parents, probably has an extensive family connection to Ireland, grows up in home with a very distinct Irish view of the world.
    Has an Irish passport, likes Ireland, appreciates Irish culture etc. but in the eyes of some he is in fact a fake, a want to be Irish man who is not really Irish and any attempt on his part to recognise or advertise his Irishness is to be ridiculed. These “plastic paddies” are to be pitied and laughed at in equal measure.

But

An African or {insert any nationality}, who has no connection to Ireland, arrived here in the last 10 years and obtained Irish citizenship is as Irish as the next man and anyone who says different is a fooking racist scumbag.

If the above is true dam glad I never availed of my right to an Irish passport, ye can keep it. I heard the rumours but I could never imagine that Irish people would be so fast to run down their own so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.
    The EU has taken away everything we have which makes us Irish and not just Europeans. We lost the Punt, now its the Irish driving licence. We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    The Irish language is dying out, and the Irish Government has sold our sovereignty to the EU.
    The next thing the EU will want us to do is drive left hand drive cars on the right side of the road, in order to harmonise with the rest of the EU.
    Membership of the EU has its benefits, but right now the cons outweigh the pros. The Irish are losing everything they have to the EU. The sad thing is that the Irish Government are letting them. We are losing all we have left.

would the mods mind if I gave a mention to the 1848 Tricolour celebration..?
    its on next weekend in Waterford - details on 1848tricolour.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

1. Irish names - Still being used. My brother, one of my best friends and 5 of my cousins have Irish names, as do a good 30% of my classmates in college.

2. Irish accents - what accents do you think we have?! :confused:

3. GAA and Hurling - really? There are thousands of clubs registered with the GAA, and if you really think the sports are dead, try getting a Luas on the day of the All-Ireland semi-finals and finals!

4. The tricolour flag - is everywhere...

5. Sure don't our Euros have harps on them, tis grand :P

6. Kilometres are more logical and the mile wasn't uniquely Irish anyway

7. The Irish language has been "dying out" for years now, yet it never actually has. I reckon its status has stayed pretty static for the last ten years or more; if anything, its status has improved with TG4 and people like Des Bishop learning it.

I don't think we're exactly giving up our culture - we're adding to it (which is fine by me, I don't want to be limited to potatoes, bacon, cabbage and coddle forever!) but we still have a lot of stuff that's inherently Irish and even when we adopt a foreign culture, we usually have our own spin on it.
    Plus the Irish attitude (in general) is unique. I actually love that we're so self-deprecating and can laugh at ourselves!!

(TL;DR - sure tis grand!! :pac: )

Re-read my post.
    What I listed is all the Irish have left (not what they have lost).
    You don't understand.

Nodin wrote: »

That's because I have a policy of ignoring trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Your on the beer tonight, Johnny ??;)

• Advertisement

SWL wrote: »
    So let me get this straight

British born man to Irish parents, probably has an extensive family connection to Ireland, grows up in home with a very distinct Irish view of the world.
    Has an Irish passport, likes Ireland, appreciates Irish culture etc. but in the eyes of some he is in fact a fake, a want to be Irish man who is not really Irish and any attempt on his part to recognise or advertise his Irishness is to be ridiculed. These “plastic paddies” are to be pitied and laughed at in equal measure.

But

An African or {insert any nationality}, who has no connection to Ireland, arrived here in the last 10 years and obtained Irish citizenship is as Irish as the next man and anyone who says different is a fooking racist scumbag.

If the above is true dam glad I never availed of my right to an Irish passport, ye can keep it. I heard the rumours but I could never imagine that Irish people would be so fast to run down their own so quickly.

Thank you very much for your post.
    You are spot on.
    I could not agree with you more.

charlemont wrote: »
    Your on the beer tonight, Johnny ??;)

Its you're (you are, not your).
    I don't drink, so no.

al28283 wrote: »
    It's because of his lack of intelligence

Lack of intelligence? You are mistaken.
    I attained a first class honours degree at Oxford.
    I have also attained a masters degree at Oxford.
    I paid for my for my education, and it has served me well.
    Money can buy you the best of education, but it cannot buy you intelligence however. That is a genetic trait I inherited from my parents. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Re-read my post.
    What I listed is all the Irish have left (not what they have lost).
    You don't understand.

So, what in your opinion have the Irish lost?

This thread makes me feel like El Confuso :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Its you're (you are, not your).
    I don't drink, so no.

It's it's.

I don't really know what you're on about. You seem to have a very narrow superficial viewpoint of what being Irish is. It's not about pints of the black shtuff, gaa, the cupla focal, tayto, red lemonade, tuneless old men singing ****e songs with 40 verses and all that bollox.

No matter how much you want it to be, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What would you define it as, genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

All The Irish has left is

to prove that we're not another joke team
    in June...

and to PLAY SPAIN OFF THE F*CKING PARK.

:cool:

I...await...the...GLORY DAYS...of...1988...

:)

LETS GET THE JOB DONE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    What would you define it as, genuine question.

Loosely. Being born here. Having a passport/citizenship. Irish parentage.
    Somewhere around that, I'm not overly fused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Nonsense! He said being called British was an insult not being British itself. I would find it just as offensive as a Canadian would if they were called American. People are too quick to see prejudicial undertones when in actual fact he's just proud to be Irish.

But he is British. He's spent two years in Ireland, was born and bred in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

But he is British. He's spent two years in Ireland, was born and bred in England.
    #

A wonderful acheivement.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's because I have a policy of ignoring trolls.

You haven't a clue what you're on about then, I take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

All the Irish have left...

But the hatred for limey Brits will remain forever more.

MyKeyG wrote: »

Thank you very much.
    That is exactly what I said.
    There are some trolls on here that misquote, and twist what I said in order to make me look prejudiced.
    Being British is one thing.
    Calling an Irish person British is another.

When are you going to stop trolling on my posts?
    You don't like me, or my opinions, that's a given.
    You have nothing positive, constructive, or valid to say; so you criticise, troll, and take my posts off topic.
    Its a real post killer, people having to trawl through your trolling.
    I am going to clarify things (yet again) for you, as you don't take the hint of being ignored.
    1. My parents were Irish.
    2. I have an Irish passport.
    3. I have Irish citizenship.
    4. I have lived in Ireland for the last 3 years.
    5. I have dual nationality; both British and Irish.
    It is really boring for people to have to keep reading that you keep calling me British.

You have nothing positive, constructive, or valid to say; so you criticise, troll, and take my posts off topic.
    I am going to clarify things (yet again) for you, as you don't take the hint of being ignored.
    It is really boring for people to have to keep reading that you keep calling me British.

I see. My posts aren't trolling, I'm stating a fact.

This is trolling:
    You worked on poor money through the boom? More fool you.
    You have learned a hard lesson in life; don't get involved with FAS.
    29 and still an Apprentice Plumber? You don't catch on quick.
    You should have not bothered doing the apprenticeship and just gone out and earned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.

They can't take our xenophobia though!

I'd have to agree with Zohan, his posts aren't trolling at all, he just disagrees with you. You might be Irish on paper but 3 years in the country doesn't really count for much.

And as for being positive, constructive or valid, you may want to reread your original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

In this big sea of predators, i.e...this thread. you will get nasty sharks and the odd killer whale to deal with as well as the most unthinkable critters called the box jellyfish and they can sting and bite and try to rip your comment apart but always hold steady with a polished approach and they will sink back into the deep deep depths of afterhours.

zenno wrote: »
    In this big sea of predators, i.e...this thread. you will get nasty sharks and the odd killer whale to deal with as well as the most unthinkable critters called the box jellyfish and they can sting and bite and try to rip your comment apart but always hold steady with a polished approach and they will sink back into the deep deep depths of afterhours.

But which is the OP? You have to wonder why he posted this topic in AH rather that a more appropriate forum if he wanted a serious discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hey Johnny. This is what you wrote in the Some dude drops his Wallet thread.
    I would keep it.
    His loss, my gain.
    A man should take care of his wallet.
    I found an iphone once, sold it for 300 Euro. Then I flew to Ibiza for the weekend, had a free night out.

Nothing I have read from you, especially your description of your criminal past makes me think you have much interest in the good of anyone but yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Lack of intelligence? You are mistaken.
    I attained a first class honours degree at Oxford.
    I have also attained a masters degree at Oxford.
    I paid for my for my education, and it has served me well.
    Money can buy you the best of education, but it cannot buy you intelligence however. That is a genetic trait I inherited from my parents. RIP.
    I would keep it.
    His loss, my gain.
    A man should take care of his wallet.
    I found an iphone once, sold it for 300 Euro. Then I flew to Ibiza for the weekend, had a free night out.

Nothing I have read from you, especially your description of your criminal past makes me think you have much interest in the good of anyone but yourself.

It makes you wonder what paid for the Oxford education!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

All the Irish have left
    Who the feck are you then???

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭McFry

It makes you wonder what paid for the Oxford education!

Crime.
    I make no secret of the fact I was a drug dealer.
    I earned money and spent it on 2 expensive things primarily; my education, and Crown Court Barristers.
    Both served me well, and kept me out of jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The right to be begrudgers and far more importantly, to begrudge the begrudgers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Old Tom wrote: »
    Who the feck are you then???

I am Johnny Foreigner.
    You are omitting the semi colon after the word left;
    followed by a list of what is left (as in remaining).
    You are misinterpreting left, as to leave.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's it's.

I don't really know what you're on about. You seem to have a very narrow superficial viewpoint of what being Irish is. It's not about pints of the black shtuff, gaa, the cupla focal, tayto, red lemonade, tuneless old men singing ****e songs with 40 verses and all that bollox.

You are mistaken.
    I will educate you:
    The word "its" signifies possession, and needs no apostrophe. (Nor do these words need one: yours, his, hers, theirs, and ours.) I guess the confusion stems from the fact that the apostrophe is used to show possession by a noun, as in "the flower's petals."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Ay yeah, those be the days alright.

Minor infections and eatin' grass for comfort. Diggin your fuel from a boghole, hay skirts, cowdung for condoms, wolfhounds and donkeys for pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

All the Irish have left are;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.

:D

Reminds me of Protestants and English born people, or people with English accents who joined the IRA, had to be more hard core to get rid of the chip on their shoulder.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 harryoharra

Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.

hello JF. You may not realise or be able to appreciate it, our wee country is changing, catholic ireland is dead and gone (going), its with bertie in the grave.

here, listen, people that genetically are NOT irish live in ireland, they are cool and only human and like me and you all they want to do is live and raise their childer, and try and figure it all out, like you, definitely confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Crime.
    I make no secret of the fact I was a drug dealer.
    I earned money and spent it on 2 expensive things primarily; my education, and Crown Court Barristers.
    Both served me well, and kept me out of jail.

Your move to Ireland doesn't seem like a move of convenience at all. You didn't do something to annoy some former *ahem* acquaintances by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Johnny Foreigner, why do you love the Irish Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Things change. If people had the same attitude hundreds of years ago nothing would ever change. We'd be in darkness. Let's cut the bull**** going forward...

Also, are you a troll?
    are you somebody who ridicules everybody on here?
    op i agree ireland will have lost it's culture within 3 decades.

Hey folks lets not go down the, i made a mistake in my life cross-road as we all fooked up at one time or another and i think it's a bit cruel to bring up very old posts and use them for attacking the original poster. this only shows what sort of person you are in hunting down old boards.ie messages relating to members of this forum.

There's enough pricks in this country as it is so please don't add yourself to the equation. sad day when I see people here picking old sh1t up and recycling it to damage another member.

zenno wrote: »
    Hey folks lets not go down the, i made a mistake in my life cross-road as we all fooked up at one time or another and i think it's a bit cruel to bring up very old posts and use them for attacking the original poster. this only shows what sort of person you are in hunting down old boards.ie messages relating to members of this forum.

There's enough pricks in this country as it is so please don't add yourself to the equation. sad day when I see people here picking old sh1t up and recycling it to damage another member.

Very old posts? Those posts are from a few weeks ago, some are from the last 24hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Eh, aren't you from England?

Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.

Very old posts? Those posts are from a few weeks ago

6 days ago is old...yep very old posts. anyway do what ye do, but attacking a member is a low blow so grow up bitches and grab a coconut or something and get over the little so-called buzz you had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Been thinking about this thread a bit, reading back through it today has given me food for thought.

I do think the OP is Irish. I don't live in Ireland, but I'm home so often it's like I'm a yo-yo. I have 2 kids, both with Irish and Dutch passports (my husband is Dutch), and my kids are IRISH. We both decided long ago, if it came down to a straight choice they'd loose their Dutch passports. So I'm with Johnny, he is Irish.

Now here's where I disagree to a point with the OP, I left before the recession, and I can safely say that I think as a nation we're slowly but surely finding our Irishness again. I think we lost it during the boom. Work and I mean any work was too good for us, we lived beyond our means, we developed a taste for chocco mocha skinny whats it coffee. Now we've gone back to the realisation that work is work and we've lost our snobbery, cos that's what the boom did to us, turned us into snobs of a sort anyway.

I love coming home more now than I did coming towards the end of the boom. Now don't get me wrong, I hate that people are struggling to pay their mortgages (my own family included), that they are in negative equity, that charities live SvdP are stretched to their limits. But the overall attitude change is refreshing. I don't want us to revert to doffing our tweed caps to anyone who comes in their sparkly new horseless carriages, that's not what I mean. What I like is the realisation that despite everything we are a giving, generous heart felt nation! I just wish we could muster up some more fighting spirit!

Hope that makes some sense :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement