Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All the Irish have left

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Irish driving licences are terrible anyway, laminated paper and it's supposed to last 10 years, its a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

They can take my lemonade and eat all our swans... But they'll never take away my Clonakilty pudding, my red pubes & freckles dammit.

See if you can get your hands on Annascaul black pudding. It would satisfy a vampire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

The EU has taken away everything we have which makes us Irish and not just Europeans. We lost the Punt, now its the Irish driving licence. We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    The Irish language is dying out, and the Irish Government has sold our sovereignty to the EU.

As far as I know, the EU don't restrict the use of the Irish language, music, history, or have any policies that detrimentally affect the natural landscape of Ireland. As you pointed out, we still have our flag and traditional sports. These to me are the fundamentals of being Irish. Superficial things, such as units of measurement and our currency (which have changed many times over the centuries), in my mind, are of little impact.

The influx of foreign multinationals, the internet and television play a far greater role in eroding 'Irishness' and leads to greater cultural homogenisation. That's what happens when information is freely available. As someone who has lived in Ireland all of my life I have no issue with this. Irish culture is still there, and there are many who embrace it strongly, regardless of where they were born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Johnny Foreigner, why do you love the Irish Republic?

I don't love the Irish Republic.
    I love the whole of Ireland; both Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Re-read my post.
    What I listed is all the Irish have left (not what they have lost).
    You don't understand.

Tbh, I don't think many people understand what you meant then. And if we have all that left, then what's the problem???
    You are mistaken.
    I will educate you:
    The word "its" signifies possession, and needs no apostrophe. (Nor do these words need one: yours, his, hers, theirs, and ours.) I guess the confusion stems from the fact that the apostrophe is used to show possession by a noun, as in "the flower's petals."

Incorrect.
    It's = it is

True, the possessive has no apostrophe (eg. The method has its advantages) - but in your sentence, it wasn't a possessive, it was a contraction. You need the apostrophe.

It's "you're" = It is "you're".

I don't normally correct grammar, but seeing as you started it...

• Advertisement

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Been thinking about this thread a bit, reading back through it today has given me food for thought.

I do think the OP is Irish. I don't live in Ireland, but I'm home so often it's like I'm a yo-yo. I have 2 kids, both with Irish and Dutch passports (my husband is Dutch), and my kids are IRISH. We both decided long ago, if it came down to a straight choice they'd loose their Dutch passports. So I'm with Johnny, he is Irish.

Now here's where I disagree to a point with the OP, I left before the recession, and I can safely say that I think as a nation we're slowly but surely finding our Irishness again. I think we lost it during the boom. Work and I mean any work was too good for us, we lived beyond our means, we developed a taste for chocco mocha skinny whats it coffee. Now we've gone back to the realisation that work is work and we've lost our snobbery, cos that's what the boom did to us, turned us into snobs of a sort anyway.

I love coming home more now than I did coming towards the end of the boom. Now don't get me wrong, I hate that people are struggling to pay their mortgages (my own family included), that they are in negative equity, that charities live SvdP are stretched to their limits. But the overall attitude change is refreshing. I don't want us to revert to doffing our tweed caps to anyone who comes in their sparkly new horseless carriages, that's not what I mean. What I like is the realisation that despite everything we are a giving, generous heart felt nation! I just wish we could muster up some more fighting spirit!

Hope that makes some sense :o

Valid points.
    I have to agree with your analysis.
    The Celtic Tiger boom years did a lot of damage to Irish culture; people did become greedy, materialistic, and snobbish.
    Maybe the EU isn't to blame for this erosion of Irish culture, it was a product of the boom.
    I hadn't considered that now the boom is over, and we are in recession; that Irish culture could return to what it was before.
    Maybe that is a positive product of the recession, the Irish going back to old school values, such as saving up for something; as opposed to buying on credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

zenno wrote: »
    6 days ago is old...yep very old posts. anyway do what ye do, but attacking a member is a low blow so grow up bitches and grab a coconut or something and get over the little so-called buzz you had.

If you're going to quote me, quote my full post, don't edit it to suit yourself.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Very old posts? Those posts are from a few weeks ago, some are from the last 24hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

TheZohan wrote: »
    If you're going to quote me, quote my full post, don't edit it to suit yourself.

ahh ffs Zohan don't tell me you are getting sentimental about that post i recently done. right, no problem I will respect you're wishes in the future of my posts Re: quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The Celtic Tiger boom years did a lot of damage to Irish culture; people did become greedy, materialistic, and snobbish.
    Didn't you tell us all in another thread that you were a drug dealer during the Celtic Tiger years? Its hard to take your pontificating seriously tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

The EU has taken away everything we have which makes us Irish and not just Europeans.... We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.

Indeed, because having our road signs in British imperial measurements was such a sign of our Irishness?

The sooner Ireland becomes more culturally European the better it will be for us. The metric system, for instance, is a far superior measurement system than the imperial system. It's far more precise, easier to understand and easier to calculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Technically, the Irish Republic is the whole island or to be precise it's the name of the all-Ireland state which was declared in Easter 1916 and ratified by the First Dáil in January 1919.

And let us all rejoice and sing along with me... this is for johnny Foreigner. the rest of you critters can stay by the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I do think the OP is Irish. I don't live in Ireland

He's not Irish. and if you do agree with his reasoning that would mean you're kids are not Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

All the Irish have left;
    Irish names.
    Irish accents.
    Gaelic Football.
    Hurling.
    The tricolour flag.
    All good things
    We lost the Punt
    Ok, the Euro might not have been the best idea, but ...
    now its the Irish driving licence.
    The Irish driving license is impractical. Most people would welcome the credit-card style license which is used virtually everywhere else - for good reason.
    We can't even have our road signs in miles, it has to be kilometres.
    We can have road signs whatever way we like, FWIW the U.K have their roadsigns in miles. Also the imperial system was invented in Ancient Rome, there's nothing "Irish" about it whatsoever.

We're using the metric system because it's better than the Imperial system.

But as for our road signs, I would be more worried about finding my way to Belmullet or Dingle on them, because thanks to that muppet Eamon O'Cuiv, you can't do that anymore.
    The next thing the EU will want us to do is drive left hand drive cars on the right side of the road, in order to harmonise with the rest of the EU.
    Yes, because that would be so easy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

al28283 wrote: »
    He's not Irish. and if you do agree with his reasoning that would mean you're kids are not Irish.

Don't be ridiculous!

Don't be ridiculous!

You are using the same criteria to come to two opposite conclusions.
    If he is Irish because he holds dual citizenship and currently lives in Ireland, by that logic your kids are not Irish because they hold dual citizenship and currently live somewhere else.

If he is Irish because he holds dual citizenship and currently lives in Ireland, by that logic your kids are not Irish because they hold dual citizenship and currently live somewhere else.

SIGH...

He's Irish because his parents (not grandparents or some distant relation) are Irish! It has nothing whatsoever to do with his dual nationality.

Try reading the full thread rather than just commenting on the last page!

SIGH...

He's Irish because his parents (not grandparents or some distant relation) are Irish! It has nothing whatsoever to do with his dual nationality.

Try reading the full thread rather than just commenting on the last page!

If you read the whole thread you'd know I have been posting on it all along, his parents nationality does not decide his nationality, if that made any sense then familial nationality would never change down through the generations

dvpower wrote: »
    Didn't you tell us all in another thread that you were a drug dealer during the Celtic Tiger years? Its hard to take your pontificating seriously tbh.

I was a drug dealer from 1992 to 2010.
    I never lived in Ireland during the Celtic Tiger boom years of 1994-2007.
    Why is is hard to take a drug dealer's pontification less seriously than your own?
    Drug dealing is a business. What I was doing was no different to Glaxo Smith Kline, or Astra Zeneca.
    The difference is that I dealt illegal drugs for myself, not a blue chip company.
    So if I was a pharmaceutical salesman for one of the above companies you would take me more seriously? Its a mute point.
    Criminals, are often the brightest minds. They have a better understanding of economics and law than many of the Politicians who govern our country.
    Yes, my drug dealing did some harm; that is a given. But it also did a lot of good too. Over the years I gave 1,000's of people the best nights of their lives dancing in clubs and at raves. I make no apology for that.
    I sold it E. It caused less deaths, and did less damage to society than alcohol and cigarettes did.
    I think a drug dealers pontification should be taken as seriously as anyone.

• Advertisement

So if I was a pharmaceutical salesman for one of the above companies you would take me more seriously?

If you made any valid points I would take you more seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why is is hard to take a drug dealer's pontification less seriously than your own?
    Drug dealing is a business. What I was doing was no different to Glaxo Smith Kline, or Astra Zeneca.
    The difference is that I dealt illegal drugs for myself, not a blue chip company.
    So if I was a pharmaceutical salesman for one of the above companies you would take me more seriously? Its a mute point.
    Criminals, are often the brightest minds. They have a better understanding of economics and law than many of the Politicians who govern our country.
    Yes, my drug dealing did some harm; that is a given. But it also did a lot of good too. Over the years I gave 1,000's of people the best nights of their lives dancing in clubs and at raves. I make no apology for that.
    I sold it E. It caused less deaths, and did less damage to society than alcohol and cigarettes did.

Your "argument" doesn't stand up regardless of your alleged former career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I now take your pontification on grammar and your boasting about your Oxford education less seriously if you think "mute point" is a correct phrase.

If you read the whole thread you'd know I have been posting on it all along, his parents nationality does not decide his nationality, if that made any sense then familial nationality would never change down through the generations

You clearly weren't reading it properly then, just suiting your own agenda/bias!

Again that's ridiculous... when you're born you parents if they are living out of their country of origin decide what nationality you have depending on the laws of the country. It can then be your own decision and if you can have dual nationality then you can have it, based on your parents not generations prior to that!

Based on Dutch law for example, if my husband was actually Irish, my children wouldn't be entitled to Dutch nationality. Your nationality here is based on your parentage. If your parents are from 2 seperate countries other than the Netherlands the nationality will be given as that of the mother unless specifically stated otherwise. That is the case in most countries where just because you're born there doesn't make you from there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

dvpower wrote: »

How do you know that the pills you sold didn't lead to a death an accident or a psychotic episode.
    Unfortunately the way the law is people have to resort to drug dealers for their kicks but I wouldn't be proud of that as an occupation or revel in the fact that you got people high.
    To be honest I would have less respect for you for continuing on in such a vile business given the amount of time you dealt these drugs surely you could have gotten a better position in society in that time frame.

By your logic, the English born members of the Italia 90 Republic of Ireland team were English, and had no right to play for the Republic of Ireland then.
    I suppose you think Cait O'Riordan (bass player in The Pogues), has not right to call herself Irish as she was born in Nigeria.
    Do you really think that she is Nigerian? Not Irish?
    Does she look Nigerian to you? Have a Nigerian name?
    If a cat was born in a stable, would you call it a horse?

You clearly weren't reading it properly then, just suiting your own agenda/bias!

Again that's ridiculous... when you're born you parents if they are living out of their country of origin decide what nationality you have depending on the laws of the country. It can then be your own decision and if you can have dual nationality then you can have it, based on your parents not generations prior to that!

Based on Dutch law for example, if my husband was actually Irish, my children wouldn't be entitled to Dutch nationality. Your nationality here is based on your parentage. If your parents are from 2 seperate countries other than the Netherlands the nationality will be given as that of the mother unless specifically stated otherwise. That is the case in most countries where just because you're born there doesn't make you from there!

Again, if you have read the entire thread, the disagreement here is mainly based around national identity, which is really what the OP is about.
    i.e Someone who has lived here for 3 years complaining that we are not Irish enough anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Your sudden outbreak of patriotism and your subsequent move to Ireland seem to coincide with the end of your supposed drug dealing. Forgive me if I think that there's a much more ulterior motive to your point.

And btw, it's "moot point", not "mute point".

How do you know that the pills you sold didn't lead to a death an accident or a psychotic episode.
    Unfortunately the way the law is people have to resort to drug dealers for their kicks but I wouldn't be proud of that as an occupation or revel in the fact that you got people high.
    To be honest I would have less respect for you for continuing on in such a vile business given the amount of time you dealt these drugs surely you could have gotten a better position in society in that time frame.

One can never know. Its a moot point.
    I am not proud of what I did. I retired from it and walked away.
    I would not advise anyone to be a drug dealer, you have two choices in that game; jail or the grave.
    I make no apology for what I did.
    In terms of position in society, yes I could have attained something better with moral standing as society perceives it. But that wasn't my modus operandi at the time.
    I was a capitalist. I sold drugs at a profit. Social standing didn't come into it. I was motivated by greed.
    I then realised that no amount of remuneration was worth sacrificing my liberty. I saw some very close people to me either in up in jail or the grave, so I decided to quit when I was ahead and retire.
    It was colourful life that brought me to over 20 countries, and paid for my education. But I wouldn't go back to it.

• Advertisement

By your logic, the English born members of the Italia 90 Republic of Ireland team were English, and had no right to play for the Republic of Ireland then.
    I suppose you think Cait O'Riordan (bass player in The Pogues), has not right to call herself Irish as she was born in Nigeria.
    Do you really think that she is Nigerian? Not Irish?
    Does she look Nigerian to you? Have a Nigerian name?
    If a cat was born in a stable, would you call it a horse?

What exactly is it your arguing? At first you were complaining that Ireland is not Irish enough anymore and now you're complaining that I wouldn't consider foreign nationals to be Irish.
    By your latest reasoning, anything we do, be it our currency or what side of the road we drive on would become Irish as soon as we start doing it in Ireland, so what exactly is the problem?

Your sudden outbreak of patriotism and your subsequent move to Ireland seem to coincide with the end of your drug dealing. Forgive me if I think that there's a much more ulterior motive to your point.

And btw, it's "moot point", not "mute point".

It was always in my long term plans to retire at 33 and live in Ireland.
    I planned the move 10 years prior to that. The moved wasn't spontaneous, it was carefully planned as I had to wind down the business over a period of 5 years. It is not as easy to do that as one might think.
    What do you think my ulterior motive is?
    I would genuinely like to know.

One can never know. Its a mute point.

I think you mean "moot point"

Again, if you have read the entire thread, the disagreement here is mainly based around national identity, which is really what the OP is about.
    i.e Someone who has lived here for 3 years complaining that we are not Irish enough anymore

This back and forth went on about whether he's Irish or not. He is! Doesn't matter how long he's living in the country or not!

I disagree with him, I think we're more Irish now then we EVER were, and we're (to use a stupid phrase) "finding ourselves" again by which I mean finding our Irishness. All we need is to find our kick a$$ spirit and stop going cap in had to the EU. I personally think that is probably the point he's making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

I would not advise anyone to be a drug dealer, you have two choices in that game; jail or the grave.
    In terms of position in society, yes I could have attained something better with moral standing as society perceives it. But that wasn't my modus operandi at the time.
    I was a capitalist. I sold drugs at a profit. Social standing didn't come into it. I was motivated by greed.
    I then realised that no amount of remuneration was worth sacrificing my liberty. I saw some very close people to me either in up in jail or the grave, so I decided to quit when I was ahead and retire.
    It was colourful life that brought me to over 20 countries, and paid for my education. But I wouldn't go back to it.

While were all no angels everyone deserves s second chance.
    On tge fact that your British born to Irish parents and probably hold am Irish passport,I think you have every right to claim your Irish.
    Your folks moved out of necessity and you happened to be reared by Irish parents,hold an Irish passport etc.
    I have cousins born in Africa to Irish parents,moved to the Uk and were reared and educated in the Uk.
    All 3 of them hold Irish passports,travel home here several times a year and when asked where they are from say Irish living in England.
    They all know more about Irish history,poets,literature than I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

All the Irish have left;

Ireland has become a country of bastardised American and British culture.
    The next thing the EU will want us to do is drive left hand drive cars on the right side of the road, in order to harmonise with the rest of the EU.

So bastardised by american and british culture.....yet it's the EU's fault. The doublethink is amazing.

• Advertisement

What exactly is it your arguing? At first you were complaining that Ireland is not Irish enough anymore and now you're complaining that I wouldn't consider foreign nationals to be Irish.
    By your latest reasoning, anything we do, be it our currency or what side of the road we drive on would become Irish as soon as we start doing it in Ireland, so what exactly is the problem?

I will clarify things for you.
    I am Irish, but you do not think I am Irish; as I was born to Irish parents in London.
    You think I am British and have no right to call myself Irish.
    My argument is that I have dual nationality, both British and Irish. Therefore I can call myself British or Irish. That is my decision, not yours to judge if I am Irish or not.
    You are confusing ethnicity, nationality, and citizenship.
    My parents were Irish, so I am Irish. It does not matter where I was born.
    You think where you are born matters more than your parents nationality.
    With regard to currency, or side of the road we drive on; they are different issues.
    My point is that the EU is making Ireland less Irish, and more European by imposing EU laws on Ireland.

While were all no angels everyone deserves s second chance.
    On tge fact that your British born to Irish parents and probably hold am Irish passport,I think you have every right to claim your Irish.
    Your folks moved out of necessity and you happened to be reared by Irish parents,hold an Irish passport etc.
    I have cousins born in Africa to Irish parents,moved to the Uk and were reared and educated in the Uk.
    All 3 of them hold Irish passports,travel home here several times a year and when asked where they are from say Irish living in England.
    They all know more about Irish history,poets,literature than I do.

Thank you very much for your post.
    You talk a lot of sense.

My point is that the EU is making Ireland less Irish, and more European by imposing EU laws on Ireland.

But you were just arguing in favour of English born footballers playing in the Irish team. Why is it any different to look to the EU for help in the economy than to look to England for help in sports? You're not making any sense

But you were just arguing in favour of English born footballers playing in the Irish team. Why is it any different to look to the EU for help in the economy than to look to England for help in sports? You're not making any sense

It is you that is not making any sense.
    My point is that I am Irish, the same as the footballers in the Italia 90 Republic of Ireland team. You are saying that if you are not born in Ireland, you are not Irish.
    It is something very different looking for a bailout from the EU, to Irish players playing for their country.
    You are confusing nationality, with Ireland losing its sovereignty to the EU.
    They are two different things.
    Here is some advice for you:
    When in hole, stop digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes, you're great.

Now explain how the EU is to blame for anglicisation. Doubtless your university education will help you formulate a succinct and coherent reply.

• Advertisement

It was always in my long term plans to retire at 33 and live in Ireland.
    I planned the move 10 years prior to that. The moved wasn't spontaneous, it was carefully planned as I had to wind down the business over a period of 5 years. It is not as easy to do that as one might think.
    What do you think my ulterior motive is?
    I would genuinely like to know.

Right, so you live in England all of your life. Allegedly deal drugs for almost two decades, and plan to move to Ireland once you have enough of that life.

Don't even begin to berate us for a lack of Irishness just so that you can skip away to another country at your own convenience. The issue here personally is not Irishness, or national identity. It's the OP exploiting a random quirk of the circumstances of his birth so he can easily enter another jurisdiction to try and avoid responsibility for what he's allegedly done. And after all that, complain that the people here aren't what you expected?

If you had any delusions of being a businessman, or some kind of (alleged) gentleman drug dealer stop right there. You may have avoided jail, and you may have an Oxford education. It does not stop you being a nasty piece of work. It just makes you a well-educated nasty piece of work.

Using your dual nationality to cover your alleged crimes in another jurisdiction is totally unethical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

johnny is right...it is definitely EU's fault!
    all the money EU lent to Ireland almost for free to help the country to develop back in the 80's was a trap! all the f*ck ups FF and Bertie have made in the last 10 years were also part of some dirty plot put together by France and Germany ... i'm not sure what's the plot but I'm sure Johnny knows more!

Well this is correct but we better get a move on in the learning of the German language. even micheal martian :D has a hidden point...

Martianhiddenvote.jpg?t=1330774723

You are saying that if you are not born in Ireland, you are not Irish.

You are saying that if we accept something as Irish, it is Irish. Therefore no matter how we choose to do things it becomes Irish automatically. If we accept an Eu law, then it is Irish law, if we choose to drive on the opther side of the road, then that's the Irish way of driving. You are arguing two opposing points neither of them very well.
    You just think you're so superior that you can't even see it.

Right, so you live in England all of your life. Allegedly deal drugs for almost two decades, and plan to move to Ireland once you have enough of that life.

Don't even begin to berate us for a lack of Irishness just so that you can skip away to another country at your own convenience. The issue here personally is not Irishness, or national identity. It's the OP exploiting a random quirk of the circumstances of his birth so he can easily enter another jurisdiction to try and avoid responsibility for what he's allegedly done. And after all that, complain that the people here aren't what you expected?

If you had any delusions of being a businessman, or some kind of (alleged) gentleman drug dealer stop right there. You may have avoided jail, and you may have an Oxford education. It does not stop you being a nasty piece of work. It just makes you a well-educated nasty piece of work.

Using your dual nationality to cover your crimes in another jurisdiction is totally unethical.

You are mistaken on a number of points.
    I lived in England for 32 years. I have lived in Ireland 3 years.
    I have not changed the jurisdiction in which I reside. I have lived all my life under the same jurisdiction; the EU. EU law supersedes both British and Irish law.
    I am not a nasty piece of work. I was a drug dealer, who is now a law abiding citizen. I make no secret of the fact, and no apology for what I did.
    I concede that I am well educated, and I paid dearly for that with my own means.
    I came close to jail on a number of occasions, and I took it as warning that it was time to make a contingency plan for the future. I was fortunate in that I had enough available means to use good Crown Court Barristers to procure my liberty.
    You may perceive that immigrant children of the Irish diaspora have no right to return and criticise our parents country, but I beg to differ. My parents sent money home all their working life and benefited the Irish economy. Now I have returned I am doing the same. The money I earned and saved during my 18 years working is now going back into the Irish economy.
    I feel that I have a right to vote and express an opinion on Irish culture, politics, and economics as any Irish born person.
    I don't see a difference between a bright criminal mind, and a bright honest mind. Sometimes its just a case of growing up on different sides of the tracks.
    I have been coming to Ireland every year of my life, and I saw the changes EU membership brought to Ireland, both good and bad. I also saw the damage being done during the Celtic Tiger boom years.
    Just because someone is displaced from their parents country, it does not mean that they don't have an awareness and understanding of what is happening in that country.
    I honestly think Ireland would be more Irish, and better; if it had never joined the EU.

I think you mean "moot point"

Yes, I did.
    I stand corrected. My mistake.
    Thank you for educating me.

You are mistaken on a number of points.
    I lived in England for 32 years. I have lived in Ireland 3 years.
    I have not changed the jurisdiction in which I reside. I have lived all my life under the same jurisdiction; the EU. EU law supersedes both British and Irish law.
    I am not a nasty piece of work. I was a drug dealer, who is now a law abiding citizen. I make no secret of the fact, and no apology for what I did.
    I concede that I am well educated, and I paid dearly for that with my own means.
    I came close to jail on a number of occasions, and I took it as warning that it was time to make a contingency plan for the future. I was fortunate in that I had enough available means to use good Crown Court Barristers to procure my liberty.
    You may perceive that immigrant children of the Irish diaspora have no right to return and criticise our parents country, but I beg to differ. My parents sent money home all their working life and benefited the Irish economy. Now I have returned I am doing the same. The money I earned and saved during my 18 years working is now going back into the Irish economy.
    I feel that I have a right to vote and express an opinion on Irish culture, politics, and economics as any Irish born person.
    I don't see a difference between a bright criminal mind, and a bright honest mind. Sometimes its just a case of growing up on different sides of the tracks.
    I have been coming to Ireland every year of my life, and I saw the changes EU membership brought to Ireland, both good and bad. I also saw the damage being done during the Celtic Tiger boom years.
    Just because someone is displaced from their parents country, it does not mean that they don't have an awareness and understanding of what is happening in that country.
    I honestly think Ireland would be more Irish, and better; if it had never joined the EU.

You posted on another thread that you had a holiday on the sale of someone's lost phone and wallet. How is that law abiding, exactly?

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, you're great.

Now explain how the EU is to blame for anglicisation. Doubtless your university education will help you formulate a succinct and coherent reply.

I don't blame the EU for Anglicisation.
    Anglicisation has some good and bad points.
    I blame the Irish Government for allowing the EU to take Ireland's sovereignty.
    For example, I think that Enda Kenny could negotiate a reduction in Irish debt to the EU in order for assurance that the EU treaty will be signed by Ireland.
    The Irish Government are not procuring Irish sovereignty. They are allowing the EU laws to take away Ireland's identity.
    The bastardised British and American which exists in Ireland today is not wholly because if the EU. The Celtic Tiger boom years were to blame for that.
    However the imposition of EU laws in Ireland during this time was conducive to Irish culture being eroded.
    You had the EU allowing loans in Ireland, and the Irish Government allowing the Celtic Tiger boom. The culture of greed damaged the Irish culture, and the EU have now taken the sovereignty.
    When I talk about Anglicisation or basardised British American culture in Ireland, I am talking about the Dublin D4 type. A culture which is a product of the Celtic Tiger boom. The fake British American accent of D4, which typifies the erosion of Irish culture. I don't remember people in D4 having this accent prior to the boom years in the 1990's.

You posted on another thread that you had a holiday on the sale of someone's lost phone and wallet. How is that law abiding, exactly?

Yet again you are dragging the post off topic, which is really boring for people to read.
    It's not. I broke the law.
    It wasn't a holiday. I flew to Ibiza for a night out, then back again the next day.
    When I was a drug dealer I was a criminal.
    For the record, I sold an iphone (not a wallet).
    I am now a law abiding citizen.
    I still think that if I found cash for example, that I would keep it.

Jaysus, this is the most irritating thing about this thread! There is plenty of debate going on about "irishness" which is the point of the thread.

Dragging up something with bog all reference to the topic is just pure childish. It's like dragging up old arguments you have with your partner, it has absolutely no relevance. No one is perfect, we all have a past, with good and bad parts, whether your Irish, British or European!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement