Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All the Irish have left

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Jaysus, this is the most irritating thing about this thread! There is plenty of debate going on about "irishness" which is the point of the thread.

Dragging up something with bog all reference to the topic is just pure childish. It's like dragging up old arguments you have with your partner, it has absolutely no relevance. No one is perfect, we all have a past, with good and bad parts, whether your Irish, British or European!

I totally agree with you.
    I make no secret of my past life, but its just that; in the past.
    There is no merit in dragging it up.
    The trolls are unable to discuss Irishness in a rational way, so they drag the post off topic.
    Nobody really cares if I am Irish or British. You can have an opinion on Irishness irrespective of where you are born.
    Some of it is jealousy. People find it hard to take that someone might have led a criminal life and succeeded from it.
    The only person they are showing up is themselves however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I totally agree with you.
    I make no secret of my past life, but its just that; in the past.
    There is no merit in dragging it up.
    The trolls are unable to discuss Irishness in a rational way, so they drag the post off topic.
    Nobody really cares if I am Irish or British. You can have an opinion on Irishness irrespective of where you are born.
    Some of it is jealousy. People find it hard to take that someone might have led a criminal life and succeeded from it.
    The only person they are showing up is themselves however.

It's very simple, I don't agree with everything you've posted, in this thread or in others I've seen, nor do I disagree with everything you've posted, BUT it's irrelevant to this particular thread.

It's like me rowing with my husband and me telling him he's a fcuker cos he got drunk 2 years ago and puked his guts up... what the hell is the relevance.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I do believe you're Irish, but I don't think that we're loosing our Irishness, except for maybe our fighting spirit!

EDIT: I must also point out, it's very easy to go through another boardsies posts, but that doesn't mean the opinion you have of them is accurate. I just looked at on particular posters posts and I could come up with all sorts of opinions, probably wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I don't blame the EU for Anglicisation...

Yet you partly blame them for it a few lines down from this.
    Anglicisation has some good and bad points.
    I blame the Irish Government for allowing the EU to take Ireland's sovereignty.
    For example, I think that Enda Kenny could negotiate a reduction in Irish debt to the EU in order for assurance that the EU treaty will be signed by Ireland.
    The Irish Government are not procuring Irish sovereignty. They are allowing the EU laws to take away Ireland's identity.
    The bastardised British and American which exists in Ireland today is not wholly because if the EU. The Celtic Tiger boom years were to blame for that.
    However the imposition of EU laws in Ireland during this time was conducive to Irish culture being eroded.
    You had the EU allowing loans in Ireland, and the Irish Government allowing the Celtic Tiger boom. The culture of greed damaged the Irish culture, and the EU have now taken the sovereignty..

You're completely confusing law, sovereignty and culture. The "bastardised British and American" culture as you put it, has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.
    I don't remember people in D4 having this accent prior to the boom years in the 1990's.

According to yourself, you weren't here.

What, might I ask, was your degree in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I honestly think Ireland would be more Irish, and better; if it had never joined the EU.

Ireland had no choice but to join the EU as it had to follow Britain our biggest trading parter, or risk being isolated and without an export market for its produce.

Obviouly we have been influenced by being part of Europe for almost 40 years and as ou say there have been good and bad things but in all honesty had we not joined when we did given the oil crisis of the mid 70's we could have ended up one of the poorest nations in Europe. We were, you might recall, along with Greece & Southern Italy the poorest areas of the then EEC and benefited greatly from Social Development Program, it could be argued that this was at the expense of other things like the Common Fisheries but that's by the by.

We had virtually no choice, staying out would have been a disaster, going in might not be perfect but it's difficult to imagine what Ireland would be like if we hadn't joined.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yet you partly blame them for it a few lines down from this.

You're completely confusing law, sovereignty and culture. The "bastardised British and American" culture as you put it, has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.

According to yourself, you weren't here.

What, might I ask, was your degree in?

I have been to Ireland every year of my life.
    I have a 1.1 BSc (Hons) Economics, and a Masters in Business Management.

I have been to Ireland every year of my life..

...in d4.

You can't put a coherent argument together for something you yourself raised. Unless that 1.1 and Masters was awarded by the University Of Life on the back of a Burger King napkin, I'd have to doubt your honesty there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Nodin wrote: »
    I have been to Ireland every year of my life..

...in d4.

You can't put a coherent argument together for something you yourself raised. Unless that 1.1 and Masters was awarded by the University Of Life on the back of a Burger King napkin, I'd have to doubt your honesty there.
    Nodin just reported you for trolling,I have seen you at it in s few threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

TheZohan wrote: »
    I think he might actually be talking about home tbh, I'm looking out my window here and I see a tricolour at full mast. I see a sign and it's in both English and As Gaeilge...my own name is still Irish...that hasn't changed. My drivers licence is as gaeilge and in english.

Nope...Johnny is in a different country alright.

The Zohan

• Advertisement

Nodin just reported you for trolling,I have seen you at it in s few threads.

a few threads? I must have been a busy boy, as I don't remember. Do please link to these threads, so we can all have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I don't love the Irish Republic.
    I love the whole of Ireland; both Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland.
    No, let them have Donegal; the county the North didn't want.
    Its already the forgotten county, so we wont miss it.

Wait, what?

Also, about the driving licences. Aspects of the design and look of passports have been harmonised, why can't the same be done for drivers licences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

OP, you achieved a first class degree and an MA from the University of Oxford and then proceeded to sell drugs in nightclubs for the next 20 years before retiring in your thirties to engage in petty arguments on an internet message board?

Do you not feel you could have done more with your life considering the fantastic academic qualifications you attained?

bwatson wrote: »
    OP, you achieved a first class degree and an MA from the University of Oxford and then proceeded to sell drugs in nightclubs for the next 20 years before retiring in your thirties to engage in petty arguments on an internet message board?

Do you not feel you could have done more with your life considering the fantastic academic qualifications you attained?

He says he sold the drugs to fund going to University.

You are mistaken.
    I was a drug dealer, importer, and supplier from 1992 to 2010.
    The first 8 years of the business were focussed on raves not nightclubs.
    I then moved from dealing to importation, and supplying. I wanted to reduce the risk, and maximise profits at that stage.
    For the first 10 years of the business all net profits were reinvested back into the business. It was only in the later 8 years that it began to yield enough net profit to make a exit plan, at which point I could wind down the business and retire.
    I used some of the proceeds from the business to fund my degrees at Oxford.
    I worked first, then attained my degrees; not the other way round.
    One doesn't need a Masters to deal E.
    I try not to engage in petty arguments, but regrettably when the Trolls on this forum insult me I feel compelled to defend myself. In my former life I used to pay Crown Court Barristers to defend me, now I just do it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

You are mistaken.
    I was a drug dealer, importer, and supplier from 1992 to 2010.
    The first 8 years of the business were focussed on raves not nightclubs.
    I then moved from dealing to importation, and supplying. I wanted to reduce the risk, and maximise profits at that stage.
    For the first 10 years of the business all net profits were reinvested back into the business. It was only in the later 8 years that it began to yield enough net profit to make a exit plan, at which point I could wind down the business and retire.
    I used some of the proceeds from the business to fund my degrees at Oxford.
    I worked first, then attained my degrees; not the other way round.
    One doesn't need a Masters to deal E.
    I try not to engage in petty arguments, but regrettably when the Trolls on this forum insult me I feel compelled to defend myself. In my former life I used to pay Crown Court Barristers to defend me, now I just do it myself.

Is it ok if I continue under the assumption that the above is a work of fiction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Back to topic:
    Please discuss -
    The erosion of what makes Ireland unique and the evaporation of our culture into a predominant Anglo-American celeb reality TV blandness with undertones of Euro trash excess and waste, hastened by a political apathy and lack of leadership that is more interested in what the EU thinks of Ireland than what the Irish people think of Ireland.

............ In my former life I used to pay Crown Court Barristers to defend me, now I just do it myself.

...I'd get the barristers back, were I you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

And thus concludes Johnny Foreigners episode of 'This is Your Life'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement