Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand Help

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yeah... I,m going back there on September 4th for six weeks.. My 15th trip... Played a lot of pool, League and tournament...

:D

Prefer the dice myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Yeah... I,m going back there on September 4th for six weeks.. My 15th trip... Played a lot of pool, League and tournament...

I take it your going to Pattaya then? I got roped into playing in that pool league before. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Tell us more...

How did you go about it?

Very easy to do,Kasikorn bank have tourist accounts and as said you can just use the hotels address,i think it was about 450bht for the ATM card and they can even set up your internet banking so you can transfer your money from Ireland to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

That right... Sometimes a one day knockout in Bangkok too... Played league every monday, Wednesday and friday in Pattaya, Knockout at Mega Break every thursday and Sunday,,, Somtimes in Bangkok on saturdays...

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Heading tomorrow with ethiad, pattaya 9 nights, koh samui(maybe) 4 nights and bangkok for 3 nights. Annoyance is getting the 9pm flight as i'll have to take it easy on the sauce in dublin airport as we will be there a good few hours before. Prefer the morning flight myself.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Heading tomorrow with ethiad, pattaya 9 nights, koh samui(maybe) 4 nights and bangkok for 3 nights. Annoyance is getting the 9pm flight as i'll have to take it easy on the sauce in dublin airport as we will be there a good few hours before. Prefer the morning flight myself.

What do you mean by "as we will be there a good few hours before"?

Im getting the same flight as you in 2 weeks and the 9pm take off is perfect for me because you land in bkk at 6pm,just make sure to get a few hours sleep on the plane and you will be fresh enough getting off it.

Kamjana wrote: »
    What do you mean by "as we will be there a good few hours before"?

Im getting the same flight as you in 2 weeks and the 9pm take off is perfect for me because you land in bkk at 6pm,just make sure to get a few hours sleep on the plane and you will be fresh enough getting off it.

Thats actually a nasty time to arrive. Immigration will be crazy busy at that time with all the package russki's and chinese arriving alot at that time.

Half of the immigration staff have been away on training the last 2 months and one of the passport control areas have been closed the last 2 months aswell for maintenance.

My advice would be to use the bangkok flight services. 700baht will get someone to meet you as you get off the plane and take you through the diplomatic passport control. No queues and no hassle. Your talking 2 or 3 hours queuing without it as opposed to minutes.

I use it everytime I go to Bangkok.

http://www.bangkokflightservices.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

Thats actually a nasty time to arrive. Immigration will be crazy busy at that time with all the package russki's and chinese arriving alot at that time.

Half of the immigration staff have been away on training the last 2 months and one of the passport control areas have been closed the last 2 months aswell for maintenance.

My advice would be to use the bangkok flight services. 700baht will get someone to meet you as you get off the plane and take you through the diplomatic passport control. No queues and no hassle. Your talking 2 or 3 hours queuing without it as opposed to minutes.

I use it everytime I go to Bangkok.

http://www.bangkokflightservices.com/index.html

I'm landing that time too in 3 weeks time. How do I procure them?

Click the link I posted and go to premium airport services and book the arrival service without electric cart unless you actually want that.

But after a long flight there is nothing better than stretching your legs. Plus you wont have to queue at immigration so the few minutes walk is no big deal.

• Advertisement

If you get off the plane, go to the second left of passport control instead of the first which is too crowded at times.. Second control is About 100 metres from the first control, Surprisely empty, there is VIP control there too... I goes there everytime...

Seriously man read peoples posts. As of last week and for the last 2 months half of the passport control staff are away on training and only 1 area is open due to maintenance.

If you haven't gone through swampy in the last 2 or 3 months, its very very different than you remember. I have been through it twice since then.

I have been going there for 15 times and use that route with success, Last time i was there was in May 2011 last year, I will check if it is still the same in September and report back here...

Hello my friend....Kamjana.... I thought you be arriving at 19.30pm not 18.00 as you said, maybe you go on earlier flight... Enjoy the trip report back to me on the other forum... lol

I have been going there for 15 times and use that route with success, Last time i was there was in May 2011 last year, I will check if it is still the same in September and report back here...

I was there twice in the last 2 months. There was no problems at all in 2011.

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=158439

OK OK.... I believe you...:)

• Advertisement

Seriously man read peoples posts. As of last week and for the last 2 months half of the passport control staff are away on training and only 1 area is open due to maintenance.

If you haven't gone through swampy in the last 2 or 3 months, its very very different than you remember. I have been through it twice since then.

So you believe everything you read on a expat blog.

Seriously man you are crazy if you think that there is a 2-3 hour wait at the airport,for a person who says he has been there twice in the last two months im surprised to hear what your saying.

Have a read of this link,i think its a bit more credible than that blog you posted.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/detail_news_186_en.php

Hello my friend....Kamjana.... I thought you be arriving at 19.30pm not 18.00 as you said, maybe you go on earlier flight... Enjoy the trip report back to me on the other forum... lol

Yeah landing at 18:00,no worries you will hear from me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Seriously man you are crazy if you think that there is a 2-3 hour wait at the airport,for a person who says he has been there twice in the last two months im surprised to hear what your saying.

Have a read of this link,i think its a bit more credible than that blog you posted.

Went through a couple of times in the last few weeks. No significant queues. They seem to have sorted it out again.

I'd believe whats posted on a expat blog and a forum like Pattaya Addicts before I would believe anything from an official source in Thailand.

I met a guy who was on the same flight as me in Pattaya and I figured from what he said, that he was only getting into a taxi at the airport by the time I was just coming into Pattaya and that was on a bell bus aswell. The queue for immigration was gone back into the long hallway towards the arrival gates when I was there at 12:30.

You might get lucky arriving at a certain time. But why take the risk as the fast track service is only 15euro.

€15 euro,!!! I rather wait at the queue , only takes me ten minutes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Thanks man... For correcting me.... But he be better off bring cash to open the account in Thailand, Because it will cost 150 baht per withdrawl in Thailand. I have account in Thailand, i send the money online... Easy to open the account in Thailand..

I'm a she actually! :P
    Ulster bank told me that they would get me some baht free of charge last time I was in there! I dont know how true this is though!

They probably wont charge a commission or something like that, but the actually exchange rate will probably be terrible.

Just bring euro and change it at the Kasikorn bank exchange booth at the bottom floor Sky Train entrance.

All the other ones you will pass like Siam commercial bank and Bangkok bank will have terrible rates.

If you heading into the city you could use the Sky train aswell. Its only about 35baht (about 90c)

I have Ulster ATM card... I got charged for 150 baht per withdrawl.. !! Maybe they say to you that they dont charge you for commission or things like that, What they dont know is that Thailand do charge foreign ATM card... Nothing to do with Ulster Bank or any foreign bank outside Thailand... Max of Withdrawl fromATM in Thailand is 20,000 baht daily...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have Ulster ATM card... I got charged for 150 baht per withdrawl.. !! Maybe they say to you that they dont charge you for commission or things like that, What they dont know is that Thailand do charge foreign ATM card... Nothing to do with Ulster Bank or any foreign bank outside Thailand... Max of Withdrawl fromATM in Thailand is 20,000 baht daily...

Not every bank's ATM in Thailand will dispense the 20,000bt though, so if it is rejected try a different banks ATM. There is a 150bt charge per transaction also. Don't take their pre-fixed rate they offer as it will be worse than that of your credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aandm

I am heading soon and wanted to get a pre paid travel card. Anyone used one of these? Where did you get it? Preferably one with no transaction/atm fees? Not going for long enough to set up a bank account so think this is my easiest option. Most I have found so far are from English companies so must be loaded with sterling.

aandm wrote: »
    I am heading soon and wanted to get a pre paid travel card. Anyone used one of these? Where did you get it? Preferably one with no transaction/atm fees? Not going for long enough to set up a bank account so think this is my easiest option. Most I have found so far are from English companies so must be loaded with sterling.
    Unheard of !!! News to me !!!! Hope there is someone knows about this... If there are not any , Bring the cash with you and open the account in Thailand andget ATM card within half hour... Easy and peace of mind.

I booked the ARK BAR Junior Suite for 2 days in the second week. Ill have a look about Samui when im there then to see if its worth staying there for the remainder of the week or if there is a place nearby that offers better value for money.

Only 2 weeks to go now, cant wait. Its actually the holiday that boards built ha ha.

You will love Samui, especially at this time of year. There wont be too many tourists about, and you'll be catching the tail end of the Thai summer.

Here is a pic taken back in 04 on Samui. I was actually sitting up in bed looking out my window when I took that picture.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc512/Royal1rish/14-05-201214-24-53.jpg

Have a great trip.

Just as an aside to this, this being the longest flight ive ever been on, whats the craic with food and drink etc on board.

Would it be wise of me to have some of my own stuff in my handluggage?

Flying with Etihad...

cronin_j wrote: »
    Just as an aside to this, this being the longest flight ive ever been on, whats the craic with food and drink etc on board.

Would it be wise of me to have some of my own stuff in my handluggage?

Flying with Etihad...

Own stuff in your handluggage must not be any toiletries stuff ... Buy em in the off duty shop in Airport, Your own toiletries has to be in Baggage... Laptop , mobile phones is ok... Drink and foods are available , In my opinion I hated Flight foods, I tend to eat well before flying out.. Maybe you will like it, I think Etihad do give nicer foods than most Airlines.... Enjoy the Trip, you will love every minute of it, That what happens to me, I keeps coming back, 15th trip this September...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Own stuff in your handluggage must not be any toiletries stuff ... Buy em in the off duty shop in Airport, Your own toiletries has to be in Baggage... Laptop , mobile phones is ok... Drink and foods are available , In my opinion I hated Flight foods, I tend to eat well before flying out.. Maybe you will like it, I think Etihad do give nicer foods than most Airlines.... Enjoy the Trip, you will love every minute of it, That what happens to me, I keeps coming back, 15th trip this September...

Good advice there, having been to Thailand twice most recently last month for Songkran I can echo his comments. You can get mini toiletries under 100mls which you can take through security and take on board and I find a bottle of water purchased in Duty free (other side of security) is great as it is good to keep hydrated on the flight. The flight to Bangkok is not that bad and the break in the Middle east sees it go by quickly.

I also dislike airline food and only ever eat the desserts and bread rolls etc. You will get plenty drink alcohol and non-alcohol onboard. Etihad are a really good airline and their airport at Abu Dhabi is far less stressful than Dubai airport which Emirates use. Thailand is great and I will definitely go back there again!

I last flew with Emirates, and the food was great. I normally hate the in flight meals on most airlines. But with Emirates it was chicken and potato something from Dublin to Dubai, then a fry from Dubai to Dublin. It was the exact same coming back. I think they like to keep it safe and simple by serving stuff that nearly everyone will like.

Well im back a month so i said i would throw up the end to this to tie off the thread

Well lads,

I booked my flights with Etihad Airways. Cost €650 each for both myself and my missus. They leave from Terminal 2 in Dublin Airport Fly to Abu Dhabi on an Airbus A330 and you change plane to a Boeing 777-300 to fly to Bangkok. Etihad are a great airline, all the drink and food you want, serious in-flight entertainment system also.

I stayed in Bangkok the first night and took the first flight with Air Asia from Bangkok to Phucket. I didn’t stay in Phucket and from everyone I met on holidays there it sounds like I was right not to.
    I got a taxi from Phucket Airport to the Rassada Pier. There the boats take you to Phi Phi Island. The taxi cost 500bhat all in and the boat trip cost 600bhat each. Don’t pay anymore than this.

The boat to Phi Phi is a big ferry not a little boat so don’t worry about dying on the way there ha ha.

Phi Phi island is nothing short of amazing. It’s like paradise. No roads, no cars nothing... You’re going to want to spend allot of time here. Phi Phi is 2 islands Phi Phi Don where you will stay and Phi Phi Lei where the beach movie was shot. The bay there is Maya Bay. I stayed in Phi Phi Popular resort for the 5 days I spent in Phi Phi. It was cheap enough, nothing amazing although it was right on the beach. The breakfast there was terrible so I wouldn’t bother with that. There was a lovely place next door called Mama Beach Resort and I also saw that the Andaman Beach Resort looked good. I was happy with Phi Phi Popular as it was rustic enough but the beach was brilliant.

Phi Phi Don is basically 2 massive mountains and a stretch of sand in the middle. It is flanked on both sides by 2 huge beaches. To me, the view Loh Dolum Bay has the better view because it’s not as spoiled by boats, however the Ton Sai bay beach is better for swimming etc. The beach at Loh Dolum is not great because it’s so shallow for what must be 500m. Not to mention it gets messy there at night over Slinkys nightclub.

My advice is to stay on the Ton Sai side and then walk around to Loh Dolum if you want. It’s literally and this isn’t a joke a 5min walk. The stretch in the middle of Phi Phi is very thin.

You can do anything here in this island, I really suggest you get a Kayak and go around. Snorkelling is a must and try get in Diving if you can. You don’t need a Padi cert.

A day trip to Phi Phi Lei is also something that has to be done; the place is one of life’s treasures. The views are out of this world. Snorkelling here is also something you must do. It’s literally like jumping into a giant aquarium. The fish are friendly and don’t bite so don’t worry.

I was so impressed my Maya Bay (it’s smaller than you think though, but no less beautiful). The island is uninhabited save for 4-5 guys who are park rangers. They clean the beach; look after the animals and all that craic. You can do a camping trip there and I highly recommend it http://www.mayabaycamping.com/ its brilliant craic.

You sleep on the beach and they provide everything, and let’s be honest wouldn’t you like to check off the “I shagged my missus on “the beach”” on the bucket list. Its 50 quid which is steep in Thailand terms but its fully insured, you get food and entertainment. I would suggest bringing your own booze as its quite steep and the Free Buckets they give you are quite tame compared to the ones back in Phi Phi Don.

The real beauty of the Camping trip is there are no other people there save for the few that have gone with you. We were literally the only ones on the beach at one point for a few hours. If you go around the time of a full moon, around 2-3am the moonlight turns everything silver. I proposed to my OH at that time there. When the sun comes up around 5am you can take the most amazing pictures as there are no people or boats to spoil them.

The food on Phi Phi is nothing short of amazing. I set myself a goal of trying to eat something new every day. The fish there is unreal. I never got sick from eating the food anywhere in Thailand however it is spicy. You have to try the Massaman and Green Curries. There is an unreal place called Papaya. At first looks the place looks like a kip, it’s like a garage with chairs in it. But the food is unreal. The Lonely Planet guide even recommends it. The real telling thing is the Thais eat there.

When your there you also have to go up to the view point, it’s no joke probably the hardest thing you’ll have to do on the island, there’s hundreds of very steep steps, but the view at the top is worth it.

I then went to spent 1 night in Railay. The ferry took 1 hour to get there from Phi Phi and cost 400bhat each. You get into a smaller longtail boat and go inshore. There is no pier here so you might need to get out and wade through the water with your bag.

That’s another thing actually, if you think your going to be bringing a wheelie bag on this trip think again, get a rucksack and make it no larger than a 50litre one. You do allot of movement in this place and I have seen people dying with the bags they bring. Myself and Eibh bags only weighed 8kg each. There was stuff I still didn’t use. Laundry only costs 50bhat a Kg and that’s washed, dried and ironed.

Railay is a beautiful place, id stay only a max of 2 days though as its small and you might get bored after that. The one day was perfect for us. We stayed in the Railay Village Resort and Spa. It was beautiful.

Next day we went to Krabi Airport. We booked a taxi boat and a Taxi to Krabi Airport at the reception, it cost 500bhat and it was private. Unreal view leaving Railay. Whole Journey took 40 mins. We then flew with Bangkok Airways to Koh Samui.

At Koh Samui, we stayed in the Ark bar in Chaweng, it was really nice, if you look on trip advisor they go on about noise and all that but we stayed in a Junior Suite and honestly there was no noise coming up from the beach below us. From looking at other accommodation it really was the best choice for cost and comfort.

Chaweng is mad, and in general Koh Samui has more money in it. There are roads etc. It reminded me more of a holiday in a Greek island like Zakynthos. You won’t be able to move down the street without some guy asking you to buy a suit. I researched this before I left and got shirts made by a Tailor called “Timmy’s Tailor” find him as he really is the best there. His shop is about a Km from the Ark Bar at the bottom of Chaweng. The shirts cost me 20 quid and you can get them made anyway you want. Eibh got some made there too. The real telling part is the amount of different nationalities getting stuff made by him. He also is probably the only Tailor that doesn’t stand on the road hassling you to come in.

Apply for an international drivers permit before you go to Samui, that way you can rent a jeep and drive around. There are places at the side of the street that will let you rent out bikes and cars without the permit but you’re not covered under law and these fellas are scam artists, you’ll end up playing for scratches etc that you didn’t put on the car.

I went to the full moon party in Koh Phangan. It costs 600 bhat return to go there on the boat and taxi from/to your hotel. Some places charge 1000 but look around. The full moon party is mad.
    When you get there go to the end of the beach and walk up the steps to Kangaroo Bar and order the “Special Happy Shake” it’s riddled with magic Mushrooms. To be honest I’m not into drugs but I tried it, it was crazy and definitely made the night much better. Do it at the start, it takes about 30-40 min to kick in and after that you feel great.

The party itself is crazy, we arrived at 9 and there were people littering the ground passed out all over. There’s everything from Rock music to Hard Core trance belting out. It’s advisable not to go for a swim in the sea as you’ll see during the night it’s a giant Toilet. I saw a place selling laughing gas too...

Buckets are the order of the day here, be warned, I can handle my spirits very well but 2 buckets were enough to make me as pissed as a fart.

Back in Samui, I went on a tour of all the main tourist things, the Monkey show, the Big Buddha, the Monk with the sunglasses in the glass box who is dead for 40 years and hardly shows any signs of decay. Do all those trips they are worth it, especially if you rent a jeep yourself.

I don’t recommend driving a scooter, from what I saw you’d be very lucky not to be killed on one, the Thais don’t know how to drive and I really mean that, add that to all the drunken Aussies on the bikes and it’s a recipe for disaster.

I flew back to Bangkok from Samui with Bangkok Airways and got a taxi from the Airport to Koh San Road. The taxi cost 450bhat. Get a meter taxi as the other ones just rip you off. I stayed in the buddy lodge hotel at the bottom of the road. It’s a perfect location.

The sites I used to book accommodation were www.Sawadee.com and www.agoda.com

Things you will need:
    A rucksack
    Deet Mosquito repellent (with at least 55% deet)
    Sun cream
    Imodium (you’ll need this)
    Motillium
    Plasters
    After sun
    A waterproof camera (this is a must I can’t stress this enough as you’ll be doing allot of swimming and jumping in and out of boats and the underwater stuff is brilliant.) I bought an Olympus Tough T-820 it was brilliant
    Money
    Buy your towel over there, they are cheap
    Couple of pairs of shorts and some tee-shirts. (Get as much cotton ones as possible the humidity is unreal)
    Buy a pair of Fishermans pants there, they are 200bhat, you’ll need them for going to temples.

One thing, I really left my ipad and phones back home over security concerns, however looking back there was no need to be this cautious.

One small tip: Thai people are amazing; they are so nice and reserved. They are shy by nature too, so if for some reason they come up to you out of the blue then expect it to be a scam, no matter how genuine you think they are.

Threw together a little video too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

JC

Just found this thread today. Must compliment You on Your feedback - excellent time had I am sure!

I am married to a Thai, so go there often, and could have given You our input, but glad all worked out well.

May I ask a couple of questions?
    1) What are the music tracks ( excluding the FMC piece)?
    2) Did You get to go north of BKK at all? I'm not sure exactly what You were looking for, ( I mean away from the beach scene), but there is a real treasure 70kms north of BKK named Ayutthaya, expecially if one is into Temples etc.

The last time we were in Phi Phi was pre Tsunami, so we really were glad to read on Your travels there. That viewpoint, there still a bloke up there selling cool drinks? I remember when we went up that walk, we were nearly knackered 3/4 way up. Only thing that made us go on was we met a party of Americans on the way down. They told us they were feeling exactly the same when they were going up, and told us to keep going, that the view was worth it...how right they were!

Thanks again for the whole thread. As You may have learnt, Thais are EXTREMELY proud of their country ( and rightly so) and my Wife was so happy reading Your feedback.

Khob Khun Khrab!

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    JC

Just found this thread today. Must compliment You on Your feedback - excellent time had I am sure!

I am married to a Thai, so go there often, and could have given You our input, but glad all worked out well.

May I ask a couple of questions?
    1) What are the music tracks ( excluding the FMC piece)?
    2) Did You get to go north of BKK at all? I'm not sure exactly what You were looking for, ( I mean away from the beach scene), but there is a real treasure 70kms north of BKK named Ayutthaya, expecially if one is into Temples etc.

The last time we were in Phi Phi was pre Tsunami, so we really were glad to read on Your travels there. That viewpoint, there still a bloke up there selling cool drinks? I remember when we went up that walk, we were nearly knackered 3/4 way up. Only thing that made us go on was we met a party of Americans on the way down. They told us they were feeling exactly the same when they were going up, and told us to keep going, that the view was worth it...how right they were!

Thanks again for the whole thread. As You may have learnt, Thais are EXTREMELY proud of their country ( and rightly so) and my Wife was so happy reading Your feedback.

Khob Khun Khrab!

To be honest Id go again in the morning. I didnt do anything north, i only had 2 weeks as it was just a holiday, ill defintely be back though, its worth the plane trip there.

To answer your question about the music in the video:

Hans Zimmer - Beach Song, Moby - Porcelain, Dario G Feat.Vanessa Quinones - Voices.

Tell your wife she should be proud, she comes from the closest thing to paradise ive seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Thanks JC

I wonder can I offer anyone going some advice - without wanting to hijack JC's thread obviosly.

I always recommend anyone going to Thailand to make it a month holiday MINIMUM. It's a long way to go for only a 2 week break, and I would have advised You so if I had discovered the thread earlier.

I agree with You in that Thailand is as near to paradise as I have seen anywhere on this planet.

Again thanks for the music titles, and if You are going back ( and need any advice - or what I know) feel free to ask.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

JC
    Next time you go out there you should check out some of the surrounding countries.
    Thailand is nice but Lao and Vietnam in my opinion are far more interesting to visit with less tourist saturation.

J.Cronin... Thanks very much for a fantastic Trip report . I am going in September (Starting of monsoon season:rolleyes:). A big help for me to take a right path... Thanks again.

No problem, to be honest the rain wont really affect you. I went and found it refreshing. It bucketed down once a day for 10-15min and then clear skies again!

It gives you a chance to get in and have a drink or something small to eat in a bar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement