Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do mpg get worse after time.

• 02-03-2012 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would you still get the manufactures claim of 35mpg on a 13/14 year old car today? or do they loose mpg year after year.

Would there be a difference in mpg between 13/14 year old car and 06/07 car even when the manufactures mpg claims are the same?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Sometimes even you get a slightly different MPG in the same two brand new cars.

And yes - most likely MPG would decrease with age and mileage, but it shouldn't be any significant change.
    If it is significant change, it means there is something wrong with the car.

F.E if car was new doing 40mpg, and when 15 years old it's doing 38 you can assume it's all right.
    When new was doing 40, but 15 years old is doing 25, then it's obviously something wrong with the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Several things affect mpg and invariably mpg reduces over time. There are many simple thing which you can do to increase mpg , tyre pressure should be correct, air filter should be changed regularly and in general keeping the engine running sweetly will increase the mpg and of course the way you drive affects the mpg. Driving a focus these times and generally get around 40mpg , however on a run recently where I drove it on a bit and was under a bit of pressure the mpg was nearer to 30.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

From your question "Does mpg lower over the years?"

Probably, depends on the maintenance over the years and the cars general condition. As above, tyres at correct pressure, oil changes, and air filter changes.

my mpg has stayed reasonably consistent over time and as long as it lasts, all the better.
    If my mpg started to reduce (fingers crossed), even if I could afford to change my car for new or reasonably new I wouldn't, unless it deteriorated horribly.
    Reason being a slight reduction in mpg together with low miles will only cost a certain amount, even with moderate mileage (or kilometerage :))
    Whereas a replacement car will cost more, depends on the current mpg's and/or the usage really as to how long will a payback in replacement terms be, quicker and more necessary if useage is high and/or mpg low, longer and less necessary if use is low and/or mpg not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I have a 98 Micra that I've had 12 years. It currently has 148,000 kms done.
    I service it every 6,000 kms on average (fresh oil, oil filter, sparkplugs and airfilter). 12 years ago when I worked it out I got around 51mpg and I did the mpg a few weeks ago as I hadn't worked it out in a few years and was delighted to see I got 49.something mpg.

I service it every 6,000 kms on average (fresh oil, oil filter, sparkplugs and airfilter). 12 years ago when I worked it out I got around 51mpg and I did the mpg a few weeks ago as I hadn't worked it out in a few years and was delighted to see I got 49.something mpg.

The k11 are great cars, just passed one on, it was an auto, had about 150K km's on it, it had 50k kms put on it, did around 40mpg (I reckon due to it being auto), ideal for short local journeys, although did much longer ones, my only gripe is the driver seat barely goes back far enough, for me anyway and im not that tall. Servicing at 6000kms!, thats only 3750 miles, maybe its reaping its rewards, if thats your annual mileage fair enough, at that I'd nearly be doing the work on the basis of how things look, if the spark plugs look ok, then i'd put them back in, Im a stickler for oil changes but if its good oil, in that case, Id go on how it looks. For me, did the services annually as it was doing 15000kms a year, the oil would be fairly black by the end of it, even earlier really, the plugs I changed every 30k kms and even then they were in good condition, air filter annually as its cheap but, they never looked like they needed it. At 50mpg you're not doing wrong though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

any rust along the exhaust pipe system will reduce the mileage returns and well as getting louder over time

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

When driving in "economy" mode, I can get about 55mpg from my 1100cc 205. I once had 61mpg when touring in Scotland (feather foot encouraged by the seriously expensive petrol in the Scottish Highlands!). Which is interesting as Peugeot themselves suggest 42mpg for the combined cycle. I get about 49-50 in normal driving.

I suspect my impressive fuel consumption figures come from the fact that my car very rarely does journeys less than about 20 miles as I tend to cycle on local trips. I also mightn't worry too much about what it looks like but I always maintain my cars impeccably from a mechanical point of view.

I service it every 6,000 kms on average (fresh oil, oil filter, sparkplugs and airfilter).

You really change spark plugs every 6000km?
    That seems to be a bit overkill.

I change oil and oil filter in my cars every 15,000km.
    I change sparkplugs when I see they are starting to look a bit worn, which usually is about 30,000 to 50,000 km.
    And I change air filter just when I see it's dirty.
    When I was driving in Poland in the city, it was always completely dirty after 10,000km. In west of Ireland while I drive mostly on country roads, air filter lasts for nearly 50,000km and is still clean enough.

I'm actually servicing the Micra tomorrow and I have the invoice beside me for everything. There are 7 in my family and between us there is currently 10 cars (was 15 at one stage!) so we get trade discount in the motor factors (25% off everything) so for 4 litres of fully synt oil, oil filter, air filter and sparkplugs it comes to (including vat) €42.85 so thats why I change everything everytime!

I'm actually servicing the Micra tomorrow and I have the invoice beside me for everything. There are 7 in my family and between us there is currently 10 cars (was 15 at one stage!) so we get trade discount in the motor factors (25% off everything) so for 4 litres of fully synt oil, oil filter, air filter and sparkplugs it comes to (including vat) €42.85 so thats why I change everything everytime!

Still hard to understand for me, as surely if you did't get sparkplugs for every of those 10 car, you bill would be smaller.
    It's a bit like buying loaf of bread, eating 3 slices, and throwing the rest to the bin, just because you have a discount for another loaf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

My car is terrible.

It used to go for plenty of miles on €20 worth of fuel a few years ago but these days it's just not getting the same.

When it comes to cars and especially their mechanics I get a bit ocd!! I get the sparkplugs for around a tenner so I've always changed them at every oil change on every car I've owned!

I always try to keep the engine in as healthy as a state as I can so I can get the best from it. Thats the way I look at it. I don't drink or smoke so the money I have goes on keeping my cars going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

My car is terrible.

It used to go for plenty of miles on €20 worth of fuel a few years ago but these days it's just not getting the same.
    Petrol is more expensive nowadays so you're not gettin as much petrol as you used to back then

Petrol is more expensive nowadays so you're not gettin as much petrol as you used to back then

No, I always put in €20 and I'm definitely not get as many miles as I used to.

Maybe it's because they changed miles to kilometres?

What TT means that if you put in €20 a few years ago and say petrol was €1.30 a litre you would get 15.4 litres in your tank but at today's €1.60 a litre you'd only get 12.5 litres a tank (thats almost 3 litres less and thats most of a gallon less)

My car is terrible.

:eek:
    I mean
    :D
    To others, I'm sure he's just kidding as in, he is aware a lot of people dont understand why they dont get the same miles as they used to for the same price. I laughed when I read it as it seems obvious thats what he meant as in, its a joke :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

exactly, measuring petrol by cost doesn't work anymore. Have to look at the litres!

Okay I was having a bit of fun lads. Spending to much time in AH probably. :pac:

Thanks for the replies though anyway.

I'm outa here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Back to AH with ya so, this is a serious forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    I laughed when I read it as it seems obvious thats what he meant as in, its a joke :)

You are correct Sir.

Enjoy. :)

CiniO wrote: »
    You really change spark plugs every 6000km?
    That seems to be a bit overkill.

I change oil and oil filter in my cars every 15,000km.
    I change sparkplugs when I see they are starting to look a bit worn, which usually is about 30,000 to 50,000 km.
    And I change air filter just when I see it's dirty.
    When I was driving in Poland in the city, it was always completely dirty after 10,000km. In west of Ireland while I drive mostly on country roads, air filter lasts for nearly 50,000km and is still clean enough.

I agree about the plugs but for the few quid of an air filter is it worth that? I've considered vacuuming out my filter as they never look too bad after the annual service, but I felt I may be becoming stingy (stingier) I may try drag out 2 years of one but I guess I assumed there might be dirt/particles in there that i cant see that might cause problems, they are cheap anyway.
    If i was doing way less than recommended mileage, depending on the value of the car (newishness) I'd probably even drag out the oil change to 2 years based on how the oil looked) depends really.

You are correct Sir.

Enjoy. :)

Obviously, I have been perusing After Hours a bit too much myself :)
    Ah as in ahhh not AH,
    I just saw the Homer Simpson gif, lol more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I get over 60 in economy mode. Frankly I can't drive too long like that, it drives me mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Filled my 1.6 Avensis last night and driving down the road at 50km/h and trip went up to 65.8mpg,never saw it that high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

My car is terrible.

Sure you're not buying wine or sweets with that 20 , some of those filling stations have great bargains :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a 99 Avensis TD with 236k miles on her, a recent run to Galway gave a true MPG figure of 50.2 mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Not if it's been looked after. I recently had a 1996 Mazda 626 1.8 with just shy of 100k on the clock and one owner. Thing ran like a dream and to a fill of €70 I could get 400+ miles from a full tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

ofcork wrote: »
    Filled my 1.6 Avensis last night and driving down the road at 50km/h and trip went up to 65.8mpg,never saw it that high.

Was that downhill?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

that's your instantaneous mpg r-tard.

Your cars bollox like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

pajo1981 wrote: »
    that's your instantaneous mpg r-tard.

Your cars bollox like you.

This is your 5th ban from motors.2 months this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

If its an instant MPG figure from an onboard computer I wouldn't pay any heed to it whatsoever. Me wonders why manufacturers put in this feature when it so insanely incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

MPG is always influenced by the driving style of the driver no matter the age of the car.

My example, Mixed Driving MPG Book Figure (1.4-16V Golf): 41.5 MPG

10 year old car, serviced evey 7000 miles, additives every 3000, new fuel filter and gearbox oil and I consistently get 45.5 MPG on mixed driving throughout the week.

Using the : filling to the brim and reading Mls from ODO method.

Advertisement