Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audition Advice...

Options
  • 02-03-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

i have my first ever audition in a week or 2.

its for a college application. im more anxious than nervous i guess.

i notice sometimes when i sing i forget alot of the techniques i've learned.

is there anything to help that? just being more focused or?

any information in general is appreciated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

i notice sometimes when i sing i forget alot of the techniques i've learned.

You've got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail.
    Charlie Parker
    is there anything to help that? just being more focused or?

Forget everything, and channel the adrenalin of the moment. If you want to see what thinking too much about technique will do for you, while you're performing. When you're putting your trousers on, try thinking about how you're doing it - most people fall over when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Word. Just practice. Practice whenever you get a chance, do it until you start to nearly resent the piece you're performing for the audition. That'll stick the technique in your head until you've got it on autopilot, and you don't need to think about how you're performing, you're just performing it.
    Wear something nice, cut your hair, have a shower and a shave. Treat it like a job interview, be professional.
    I was as nervous as I' ever been going for my college audition this time last year, but it all paid off. Also, they're not looking for miracles, or even really talented players.
    You're going there to learn music, they don't expect you to have it learnt already.
    They just want to see an aptitude and an appetite for it.

Where're you auditioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

hey... thanks for all the advice. i definitely have the hunger for it. just slightly worried about the audition. i guess everyone gets a little anxious for their first audition...

my audition is in ballyfermot.

where was yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Aye, the first one is the big one, as you don't really know how it goes, or what they're looking for. Once that's under your belt, you relax a lot. They're all people who love music as much as you, and they want you to perform well, it's a nice and positive atmosphere.
    I auditioned for Waterford.

Advertisement