Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef Technology Adoption Programme

• 02-03-2012 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here joined the BTAP (Beef Technology Adoption Programme)?
    I was just asked about it by my father today and he's debating applying for it. Leaving himself with plenty of time as usual:o

Other than the tasks that have to be carried out & going to the meeting, along with hosting one, are there any hidden costs or things that may catch us out?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi Karen, have a look here, think it's the same thing.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056551581

Only catch AFAIK is there is a max of 1000e per farmer, 5m allocated to it but if more than 5000 farmers go for it then the 1000e will be smaller. My OH refers to these discussion group days as a 'jolly':D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hi Karen, have a look here, think it's the same thing.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056551581

Only catch AFAIK is there is a max of 1000e per farmer, 5m allocated to it but if more than 5000 farmers go for it then the 1000e will be smaller. My OH refers to these discussion group days as a 'jolly':D

Thanks! Better get the auld specs back out when I missed that thread!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

The programme is a good idea...you get 1000 euro p.a.but its not a case of getting 1000 for nothing, there are certain things you have to do to get the money and they will involve some cost and you will also have to pay Teagasc for facilitating your discussion group (probably 120-140euro pa.). There are 8 options you will have to do 2 of them each year and they will involve some cost.

The system is quite like REPS in theory, the 1000 euro is a kind of bait to encourage you to do things that will make your farm more efficient, so for example one of the options you can pick is to use top quality AI bulls...but this will involve expense but what it costs you in the short term will actually benefit your pocket in the long term because you will have superior stock etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Karen112 wrote: »
    Has anyone here joined the BTAP (Beef Technology Adoption Programme)?
    I was just asked about it by my father today and he's debating applying for it. Leaving himself with plenty of time as usual:o

Other than the tasks that have to be carried out & going to the meeting, along with hosting one, are there any hidden costs or things that may catch us out?:confused:

Today is the last day for applications through Teagasc in Mohill, so they told me. We have 2 herd numbers (one belongs to wife on an outfarm) and debated as to whether to sign up with both of them. We have signed up for both of them because the Mrs is interested in doing it. We are part of the existing discussion group with the main herd number. I was told that no new members will join this group. New members will instead be in a new group or groups and will have meetings at different times and locations to the old group. She has been advised not to pay to join Teagasc until she is sure that she has been accepted onto the programme :) You can nominate someone to attend the open days on your behalf if you cannot attend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

reilig wrote: »
    Today is the last day for applications through Teagasc in Mohill, so they told me. We have 2 herd numbers (one belongs to wife on an outfarm) and debated as to whether to sign up with both of them. We have signed up for both of them because the Mrs is interested in doing it. We are part of the existing discussion group with the main herd number. I was told that no new members will join this group. New members will instead be in a new group or groups and will have meetings at different times and locations to the old group. She has been advised not to pay to join Teagasc until she is sure that she has been accepted onto the programme :) You can nominate someone to attend the open days on your behalf if you cannot attend!
    was just on to dungarvan and was told have form in for next wed.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    was just on to dungarvan and was told have form in for next wed.

I was on to Tom in Mohill there now and he said Wednesday would do. I can attend the meetings in Mayo and split them with Dad attending back home.
    Plus we already do the necessary two tasks- 5 star AI and herd register online. So need to make a decision quick!

I was on to Tom in Mohill there now and he said Wednesday would do.

The fecker told me yesterday that today would be the last day he would take applications :rolleyes:

The fecker told me yesterday that today would be the last day he would take applications :rolleyes:

A womans touch!

Just realised what I said could be misconstrued.......:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

I was on to Tom in Mohill there now and he said Wednesday would do. I can attend the meetings in Mayo and split them with Dad attending back home.
    Plus we already do the necessary two tasks- 5 star AI and herd register online. So need to make a decision quick!

You can only use the online registering of calves in one of the three years. Doing a profit monitor is compulsory in one year. You can use the 5 star AI as an option for the three years. Weighing your calves in one year might be a good option for you.

tanko wrote: »
    You can only use the online registering of calves in one of the three years. Doing a profit monitor is compulsory in one year. You can use the 5 star AI as an option for the three years. Weighing your calves in one year might be a good option for you.

We do a few of the others too, herd profitability etc. I was only saying that we already do enough to qualify for the first year anyway. Am meeting the auld fella tomorrow to see what he thinks.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, you can do it for one year and quit if you dont like it and still keep the money from that year. If yourself or your father has the time to go to the meetings i think its worth joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Our planner's after calling to know if we want to join this. I reckon the boardsies should get the payment for free, sure tis basically the same as a discussion group!!

Our planner's after calling to know if we want to join this. I reckon the boardsies should get the payment for free, sure tis basically the same as a discussion group!!

Does that mean that myself and Rovi get the facilitator's fees???? :D

Advertisement