Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "new media" just as bad as traditional media for pushing property?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

SugarHigh wrote: »
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/5-properties-to-view-in%E2%80%A6-dublin-6-369497-Mar2012/

Here we have an advertisement disguised as an article. The author is Sherry FitzGerald but it was published on the front page of the website as if it was just a normal article. It's also interesting that this is the first article I've seen on thejournal that doesn't allow comments.

Yeah saw that too.

Funny that "property is on the rise again" when the official stats released last week have Jan 2012 as the biggest drop in property prices in 3 years. Dublin being the worst!

Its well known The journal.ie are just the same scum as the rest of them.

Just pure scum press...pure vested interest scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lol at the prices too.

I checked in fact today again and in my area there are still so many houses with idiotic prices... I found an add which was not updated for 1600days too. Price - 310k for semi detached. ( nr 10 ) . Nr 9, on the other side 140k lol.

All big fishes will try to make you think that market is great for buyers and that's why they always tell you how much it droped since peek. Which In reality means **** all as those were bubble prices.

Journal.ie "pretend" to be a fair place for the public to discuss openly on the internet but they are just another media spun vested interest scum rag.

They remove any posts that does not suit there agenda or goes against there advertisers which are mainly media spinning scum like themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Owned by the same crowd who own this site as well.

The journal is an absolute shambles. They've moved from just rewriting others' articles to pushing their own/sponsors' agenda.

amacachi wrote: »
    Owned by the same crowd who own this site as well.

The journal is an absolute shambles. They've moved from just rewriting others' articles to pushing their own/sponsors' agenda.

Really!! I did not know that.

Thats a shame as Boards is normally always fair place to discuss topics without outside interference

Loads of people going mad on it today saying the will remove journal.ie app if they do anymore of what happened in opening link http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/5-properties-to-view-in%E2%80%A6-dublin-6-369497-Mar2012/ ...they say it was just advertising from sherry fitzgerald to pay for the site but it was obvious propaganda lies and BS....the fact that they removed the ability to comment on it says it all they have never done that before..they knew people would slaughter them but they tried to be sneaky about it.

The internet is not for the media scum to try and control & we have to stop them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Loads of people going mad on it today saying the will remove journal.ie app if they do anymore of what happened in opening link

The internet is not for the media scum to try and control & we have to stop them.
    Can you post a link to the discussion or has it been removed?

It really is irritating how they don't state anywhere on the page it's an advertisement and nothing about the link from the main oage suggested I was clicking on an advertising. It is being completely misrepresented as a news piece.

If you didn't know boards were owned by the same people as theJournal are you also unaware that daft.ie are also owned by them?

So theJournal really does have strong ties to the property market.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Can you post a link to the discussion or has it been removed?

It really is irritating how they don't state anywhere on the page it's an advertisement and nothing about the link from the main oage suggested I was clicking on an advertising. It is being completely misrepresented as a news piece.

If you didn't know boards were owned by the same people as theJournal are you also unaware that daft.ie are also owned by them?

So theJournal really does have strong ties to the property market.

There was comments made on loads of the other articles that were released around the same time as the sherry fitzgearld one telling journal.ie that if they start putting up stories with no comments allowed people will leave in droves. Just checking now they have removed quite a few.

If Daft.ie and the Journal are connected they can go and f-off as far as im concerned then.

Its like the irish times wont let people comment on there FB page and the Irish Independent does not even have one as they cant control the people like they think they can.

Watch how these scum try and control the internet now. We cant let it happen.

Brian Aitken ‏ @brianjnled Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Fantastic competition in #thejournal 2moro - win 10% deposit on a Dunelm home. And wait till you see the size of the coupon! Pls RT

That's a tweet from Brian Aitken who is the editor of theJournal. I wonder if it's a sponsored competition?

Darragh Doyle ‏ @darraghdoyle · Open
    @feylya Personally I don't like it, but I'd say it'll become more and more prevalent. It's like an Advertorial in a magazine, nothing more
    7h Mark Dennehy ‏ @MarkDennehy · Open
    @darraghdoyle @feylya If the whole point of @thejournal_ie is to try a new business model for a news company, why use a broken old model?
    7h Gavan Reilly ‏ @gavreilly · Open
    @MarkDennehy @darraghdoyle I can see where you're coming from but the model is to get enough advertising to keep the content free...
    7h Darragh Doyle ‏ @darraghdoyle · Open
    @gavreilly I'm not out to make trouble Gav and doubt yis had much say in it but it's an inelegant solution. Open to abuse possibly too.
    7h Stewart Curry ‏ @irishstu · Open
    @darraghdoyle @gavreilly what;s wrong with advertorials? at least it's obvious, unlike some of the churned press releases on other sites
    7h Darragh Doyle ‏ @darraghdoyle · Open
    @irishstu but could I now buy a story promoting a brand, project or event on the site, thereby adding credibility to it? I find that scary.
    7h Stewart Curry ‏ @irishstu · Open
    @darraghdoyle I don't see how a paid advertorial adds credibility.
    @irishstu i'm speaking with the experience of almost 3 years dealing with it on Boards. Nightmare.
    http://twitter.com/#!/darraghdoyle

Copying conversations from twitter is a nightmare but that's an Daragh is an ex boards employee.

I did find the last part very interesting.
    Daragh says

"but could I now buy a story promoting a brand, project or event on the site, thereby adding credibility to it? I find that scary."

To which stu replies

" I don't see how a paid advertorial adds credibility."

Then Daragh replies
    "i'm speaking with the experience of almost 3 years dealing with it on Boards. Nightmare."

What is this in reference to? Are there ads on boards that aren't clearly marked as ads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its well known The journal.ie are just the same scum as the rest of them.

Just pure scum press...pure vested interest scum.

Can we lay off the scum comments?

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/5-properties-to-view-in%E2%80%A6-dublin-66w-393174-Mar2012/

:rolleyes:

Journal.ie at it again helping out Sherry Fitzgerald & their other company Daft.ie with "property advice" for the public!

It seems there are many like me out there who will tell the public the truth about property with opinions and facts rather than vested interested parties trying to lie to the public..

The media cant have it all there own way anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I hadn't seen this thread until now.

The key is the Spiderman cliche, with great power comes great responsibility.
    The owners of Boards.ie, journal.ie and daft .ie etc will have to ask themselves that question often and decide what course to choose between maintaining a viable commercial operation which uses influence or one that chooses to not sell advertising spaces to the likes of property agents and allows people to say what they want.
    It is an interesting tightrope story which I have been observing for some time.

But I think time may tell that (cliche time again), power corrupts absolutely.
    I hope that won't be the case though.

Zamboni wrote: »
    I hadn't seen this thread until now.

The key is the Spiderman cliche, with great power comes great responsibility.
    The owners of Boards.ie, journal.ie and daft .ie etc will have to ask themselves that question often and decide what course to choose between maintaining a viable commercial operation which uses influence or one that chooses to not sell advertising spaces to the likes of property agents and allows people to say what they want.
    It is an interesting tightrope story which I have been observing for some time.

But I think time may tell that (cliche time again), power corrupts absolutely.
    I hope that won't be the case though.

Journal.ie will lose viewers very quickly if the keep it up.

Unfortunately the media make you stoop this low and you have to start playing them at there own game.

They got away with for decades but many people just like me are willing & ready to take them on.

The internet is for freedom of speech and NOT media spin BS!

Advertisement