Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes for a wedding

Options
  • 02-03-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi All

My son (18) is invited to a wedding and I'm a loss as to what clothes he should wear. I would normally go with a suit for a man but at his age I don't think it would be worth the expense. He's still at school and not exactly a fashion mogul!!! :D

The wedding is a cousin of my ex so it's a family do.

Any suggestions/ideas I'm getting desperate. The wedding is 2 weeks away.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

When I was 18 I wore a suit. Went into town and found one for a decent price, it was worth paying as I've gotten loads of use from it. Chances are, when he gets to college he will need it for balls, presentations and any interviews he might have. Makes the expense worth it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

If you get a suit will he be able to wear it again for his debs? Have you checked next I have seen reasonable priced suits there. Or have you considered hiring one?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

18?

He's a man, he should wear a suit. In fact, he'll enjoy it - don't make him wear a tie or a dicky bow.

If not, a good pair of pants (not jeans) and a neat shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Thanks for all the replies.
    I suppose looking at college it prob would be worth spending the money on.

Seamus I know he's a man and would agree but didn't see the point in forking out a load of money for the wardrobe to benefit.

I had considered the pants/shirt option. The next problem is getting him shopping it's like pulling teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

A good suit is an investment and provided he doesn't have much growing left to do he'll get years out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fg10291

Tellm him there will be loads of girls there, might get some interest, i would have crawled through a mile of thumbtacks to get to a wedding at that age, might get some interest from him

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Smashhits wrote: »
    Seamus I know he's a man and would agree but didn't see the point in forking out a load of money for the wardrobe to benefit.
    Tbh, you'll get a decent machine washable suit in M&S for under €100. Throw in a €30 shirt and he's got a "formal" outfit for about the same cost as a good pair of pants and a decent shirt.

So it's not a €500 tux, but it does mean he has something classy to wear to any events for the next few years. He might even get used to it and start wearing it to college events :D

At 18, I wouldn't bother with an expensive suit - even if he's finished growing up, he may still have some growing out to do. Plus he'll probably end up leaving the jacket on a chair somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Machine washable suit! :eek::eek: I am so behind the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Try next for suits as well! They sometimes have lovely ones n not Ott expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Depending on where you are the village in Kildare have some great suit shops, Corsa d'Italia (I think that's what it's called) is fantastic with very modern cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Hi All

OP here. Bought a lovely suit in Marks last weekend so we're all sorted.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Advertisement