Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked iPhone 3GS Buying Advice

Options
  • 02-03-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a new phone. My iPod Classic gave out on me a few months ago and I figured two birds, one stone.

I really like the plan I'm on right now with 3 on PrePay but I don't especially like any phones that are available for me at the moment. Just wondering how people feel about the unlocked 3GS phones that Apple are selling right now. They're €355 and only 8GB. (I remember from my iPod that really means something like 6+GB would actually be available for storage).

The phones are SIM free so no worry there. Any advice? I looked at Bill Pay options a few months ago but I'm not too gone on them. Priorities for me would be the ability to store a decent number of playlists (approx. 15/20 albums), easy and accurate texting, good Internet access and a clear screen. Being able to drop a film on it every now and again would be pretty cool.

Anyone think it's overpriced/unreasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can you read this and post back in the thread with the details.

Are you looking at only apple phones? If so you are better posting in the apple forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Sorry Davy, I did read that and thought my post covered all of those..? If it needs to laid out for clarity to make it easier for you to understand I can do that. I didn't put it on the Apple forum because I was looking for general advice and any alternatives.

What features are important to you in a phone?
    Clear display, easy and accurate texting, good Internet browser
    Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.
    Not too pushed, but I want a responsive touch screen. I like physical QWERTY keyboards but I find the likes of ones on Blackberry too small. I've seen the HTC ChaCha but the screen is just a bit too small.
    Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    3G naturally.
    Operator - have you an operator preference
    Happy on 3 PrePay.
    Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    I've seen the range of phones across most stores online. I'm looking to stay with 3, so really it'd have to be SIM free as I'm not too pushed about any phones 3 have right now on PrePay.
    Price range
    Around the €300 mark.

I've checked Pixmania and all the major Irish carriers in recent weeks. I've got a Samsung Europa right now, it's fine but I find the touch screen frustratingly inaccurate to text on quickly sometimes due to the smaller screen size. Android as a whole is okay, I'm not overly enamoured with it.

Advertisement