Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant unlock maps?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,I have a nuvi 1310 for over a year now and although its been tempermental at times, its been running smoothly lately,that is until this morning,i downloaded a program called 'easyGPS' and tried to load a route into my nuvi with it,during the bootup the nuvi started as if i had reset it,ie looking for which country its in and i got a message 'cant unlock maps'I searched garmins support page and the only advice relevent to my issue advised that i should remove 'gmapsupp'file from the unit,delite the file from the recycle bin and restart the unit,well than has not solved it so i got on to garmin support and left details of the problem and am awaiting a reply,the last time i had to deal with garmin support they were slow in getting back to me and did apologise and explained that they were very busy at that particular time so if anyone has any idea that would get me back up running in the meantine that would be great,cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Update,unit is up and running,Garmin got back to me very quickly and offered some easy steps to follow,result and very good support,for those who may encounter a similar problem here is a possible solution,1 create a text file and copy your unlock codes which can be found under my maps on the garmin website in to it,**just the codes on their own**,2 rename the file to 'gmapprom.unl' and then copy it in to the system file on your nuvi 1310,below is a full copy of the support email from garmin,i hope its ok to copy and paste this so here goes
    f you are getting the message "Can't Unlock Maps. Your unit will not function without maps," on your Garmin mass storage device, there may be an issue with the unlock file on your device. Please follow the steps below to restore the mapping unlock file:
    Select myMaps
    Below the appropriate device, select the "Details" link
    Look for the Unlock Code listed on this page
    Copy all the unlock codes for your device
    Close your internet browser
    Right-Click on your Desktop
    Click New and then click Text Document
    Double-Click on the newly created Text Document icon from the desktop
    Paste or type your unlock codes into the document
    Click File and then click Save As
    Change the file name to: gmapprom.unl
    Change the "Save as type" to "All Files"
    Click Save
    Close the document (You should see the file gmapprom.unl on your Desktop)
    Right-Click on the gmapprom.unl file and then click Copy
    Connect your Garmin device to your computer and open Computer/My Computer
    Right-Click on the 'nuvi (drive letter:)'2
    Click Open
    Right-Click on the Garmin folder and click Paste (See Step 21 for instructions specifically if your device is not one of the following: Quest series, StreetPilot series, nuvi 200 series, nuvi 205 series, nuvi 295W, nuvi 300 series, nuvi 465, nuvi 500 series, nuvi 600 series, nuvi 700 series, nuvi 800 series, zumo series 400, zumo 500, zumo 550 and zumo 660)
    If your device is not one of the devices listed above, the gmapprom.unl file is required to be placed in the ".System" folder, which is a hidden system folder. In order for you to see the hidden ".System" folder:
    For Windows XP:
    In MyComputer go to the Tools menu and choose Folder Options...
    Select the View tab
    Select the radio button next to "Show hidden files and folders"
    Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
    Click OK
    For Windows Vista & Windows 7:
    In the Computer window go to the Organize menu and choose "Folder and search options"
    Select the View tab
    Select the radio button next to "Show hidden files, folders, or drives"
    Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
    Click Ok
    Safely disconnect your Garmin device from the computer to complete the process. If you are having any issues duplicating the steps above or are still receiving the message "Can't unlock maps, your unit will not function without maps," please contact product support here: https://buy.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/escalateForm.faces
    1 The device must be registered to view the Unlock Code.

Advertisement