Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody Bruce Lee Mad

Options
  • 02-03-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

So Eastern Martial Arts have become hugely popular in the west, they are useful for self defense situations and staying fit. But what ever happened to Western martial arts (I know boxing, fencing and wrestling to some extent are popular today) but I mean are they just not as affective or interesting as Eastern martial arts??.

Yesterday I found out about Bataireacht or Irish stick fighting threw a friend, if I had known about this martial art before or if there were classes near me I would definitely have joined I didn't even know we had martial are own form of martial arts, I feel embarrassed haha. So would you join or support Irish martial arts if they started up in your local area??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataireacht

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Stick fighting? Sure the turtles were doing that years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Looks like Traveller Tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Two lads flaking each other with sticks, or Bruce Lee?

Is it really that hard to imagine which might be seen as cooler? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    So would you join or support Irish martial arts if they started up in your local area??

I see in the papers there's some new Irish martial art involving slash hooks that seems to be catching on.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Stick fighting............Hurling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would the one inch punch be effective in MMA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

There's already Mixed Martial Arts, Karate and Tae Kwon Do clubs near me. Stick fighting wouldn't be an activity i would endorse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

An Irish martial art so secret that no Irish people have ever heard of it?

Its made up tripe to trick Americans into buying DVDs. Don't be fooled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Looks like an American Irish "sport"

"Ahh this is how the Leprechauns used to fight in Ireland!"

To be fair if you can't beat 7 shades out of someone with a baton in your hand you should quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

I can understand why people reckon martial arts like Kung Fu look cooler plus they have Hollywood backing them. To be honest I never heard of this before either that link you provided also talks about some forms of Irish wrestling, boxing and kicking it might be interesting to see modern martial art incorporating the different types of old Irish fighting styles into one could be a cool sport.
    Just found this I think its the world organisation of Irish stick fighting or something like that: http://www.isfworldwide.com/irish-stick-fighting/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

when you grade do you get a different colour cap like belts in Karate?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The martial art of Kung Slashooking

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yesterday I found out about Bataireacht or Irish stick fighting threw a friend

Shillelaghs. The sticks used.
    I'm betting you've heard that word before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Zen65 wrote: »
    I see in the papers there's some new Irish martial art involving slash hooks that seems to be catching on.

Z

I think the lads wth the slash hooks are more into marital fighting than martial fighting.

On a lighter note,a traveller goes into the hardware shop and asks do they have a slash hook..

certainly sir is the reply....would that be a confirmation or a wedding slash hook??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Spacedog wrote: »
    TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT

Who/what/why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Fencing is by far one of the coolest, underrated sports ever and I plan to pick it up again when I get back to college next year.

The workout just makes every bone in your body ache, coming alive

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Who/what/why?

Because if there was an "Irish martial art" then Carrolls would have been selling minature stick weapons to Americans for years along with bodhrans, tin whistles and miniture Irish flags.

Also, as Irish people, we brag about everything even if we made it up, we're still banging on about getting rid of all the snakes, so there would be a record of it in our lore. We have Leprachauns, Tir na nog and the book of Kells... but nowhere does it mention "baintraicht".

It makey up garbage to trick gulible "Irish" Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Peetrik wrote: »
    An Irish martial art so secret that no Irish people have ever heard of it?
    I've heard of it. I've even practised it and am personally acquainted with some of the Doyles in that video. In the S&SS forum there are photos of me hammering through a door with a shillelagh. There's a couple of other people in Ireland that also teach it. And I'm sure they'd be only delighted to demonstrate it given the opportunity.
    Its made up tripe to trick Americans into buying DVDs. Don't be fooled.
    That particular crowd are Canadian, from one of the Irish families that emigrated during the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

We have Leprachauns, Tir na nog and the book of Kells...

Just to clarify...Book of Kells =/= invented for Americans

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    There's a couple of other people in Ireland that also teach it. And I'm sure they'd be only delighted to demonstrate it given the opportunity.

You mean Liam who teachs silat out in Tallaght? Because this was the last I heard re him teaching.

No offences intended to you Doc, I'm sure you can give a good wallop with your stick but claiming its a complete martial arts system is B/S as far as I'm concerned. Put it against Escrima or the like and my money is on the Escrimador every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So Eastern Martial Arts have become hugely popular in the west, they are useful for self defense situations and staying fit. But what ever happened to Western martial arts (I know boxing, fencing and wrestling to some extent are popular today) but I mean are they just not as affective or interesting as Eastern martial arts??.

Yesterday I found out about Bataireacht or Irish stick fighting threw a friend, if I had known about this martial art before or if there were classes near me I would definitely have joined I didn't even know we had martial are own form of martial arts, I feel embarrassed haha. So would you join or support Irish martial arts if they started up in your local area??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataireacht

Still going strong. Here are some experts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 grazz

kicky kicky yo ass whhheheaaaww

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

No offences intended to you Doc, I'm sure you can give a good wallop with your stick but claiming its a complete martial arts system is B/S as far as I'm concerned. Put it against Escrima or the like and my money is on the Escrimador every time.
    I lived in the Philippines for several years, believe me I know the difference between this and arnis, escrima or kali. I mean you can talk about the heritage and direct lineage or what have you when it comes to martial arts, but this is different. Not a whole lot of moves I grant you, but you could spend many years mastering them properly. Besides even if you don't buy any of the above, some WMA guys have been reconstructing the art from certified descriptions of the day, which is something even the most sceptical must admit has merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Domo230 wrote: »
    Most Western martial arts simply weren't recorded so they have sadly been lost to the ravages of time.

Yeap! I see your poxy shogun and I raise you one shotgun. ;)

I know how The Last Samurai ends. Perfect cherry blossom indeed, that was an abject failure which today has as much practical everyday use beyond fitness as step aerobics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

An Buachaill Bataireacht - coming in 2012 (rated R)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What a load of bollix

Advertisement