Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody Bruce Lee Mad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

What a load of bollix
    Quality post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Op you do realise you cant bring a stick into coppers with you dont you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Domo230 wrote: »
    Ya wha... :confused:

Which part? Shotgun beats a shogun with ease.

And I dont want to be a movie spoiler, but have you seen how The Last Samurai ends? All serves to explains why playing with sticks is a dead art form in the west.

darlett wrote: »
    And I dont want to be a movie spoiler, but have you seen how The Last Samurai ends? All serves to explains why playing with sticks is a dead art form in the west.
    Good man, post us up a copy of your shotgun license so. No? Well gosh I guess traditional martial arts still have a place in this world.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Good man, post us up a copy of your shotgun license so. No? Well gosh I guess traditional martial arts still have a place in this world.

Good man yourself. The enemy most likely has a second hand which if he is a quick learner, he will not place on the wall. Also if player A was allowed a shotgun, license or not, he would put a decent hole in knife mans hand. Good luck in your war.

Of course you wont need it if you come up against a plank of similar thickness to yourself.

• Advertisement

darlett wrote: »
    Good man yourself. The enemy most likely has a second hand which if he is a quick learner, he will not place on the wall. Also if player A was allowed a shotgun, license or not, he would put a decent hole in knife mans hand. Good luck in your war.

Of course you wont need it if you come up against a plank of similar thickness to yourself.
    Back to your MMORPGs laddie.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Back to your MMORPGs laddie.

You ve out acronymized me there. Ironic that it wasnt the rapier wit what dunnit but you can LYAO as Ive no idea what that means laddie eile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

We've actually got some pretty decent traditional martial arts, roots in boxing, wrestling and kicking styles comparative to Mauy Thai. We also used to add all of them together in a competitive sport much like the Greeks did with Pankration.

Stick fighting as a style has a lot of history here but i wouldn't hazard that anything thought in any club is effective or not unless I have seen it for myself. A video just doesn't cut it.

From what i do know about stick fighting, there seems to be some stuff happening in that video that would be basic mistakes in other art forms though. I wouldn't mind see some full impact sparring being done.

We've actually got some pretty decent traditional martial arts, roots in boxing, wrestling and kicking styles comparative to Mauy Thai. We also used to add all of them together in a competitive sport much like the Greeks did with Pankration.

Stick fighting as a style has a lot of history here but i wouldn't hazard that anything thought in any club is effective or not unless I have seen it for myself. A video just doesn't cut it.

From what i do know about stick fighting, there seems to be some stuff happening in that video that would be basic mistakes in other art forms though. I wouldn't mind see some full impact sparring being done.
    I spent all day chopping down bushes in my new house . lets go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

cloptrop wrote: »
    I spent all day chopping down bushes in my new house . lets go

Bit of a **** house if it has bushes in it mate.

I have a bridge for sale if you would like to buy it?:D

• Advertisement

Bit of a **** house if it has bushes in it mate.

I have a bridge for sale if you would like to buy it?:D
    Funnily enough I have a bridge too , I just dont have anything to put it over , have you a lake moat or river for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

I think the combined Irish styles of fighting being made into a modern martial would actually be interesting, I would love to see people participating in a Irish martial art.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Or better again, instead of only selecting the Irish ones, make a new art taking the best parts of all the different martial arts and mixing them somehow. I am going to be rich!

Now all I need is a name for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Ireland's real martial arts are in the wrestling field, where we have a huge tradition. Collar and Elbow wrestling is a style that was used up until the famine. Even post famine wrestling was still quite big due to travelling strongmen and carnivals. It has died out with the advent of the free state though, with some people keeping things alive to a small degree. The last hurah being in the 50's with a 4th place finish in the 56 olympics.

Hopefully wrestling can make a comeback here, and I think it will. The strange thing being a new sport MMA has sparked an interest in it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    ...So would you join or support Irish martial arts if they started up in your local area??

I have training for 16+ years in Wado Ryu Karate alone besides other systems of offensive/defensive arts - so I would have to say yes.

Advertisement