Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet Hates - Irishisms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Maybe they are pronouncing it like this

I would've gone
    I could've gone
    I should've gone

there are definitely people out there who think it's "would OF". I've even heard them say it when breaking down their sentence.

"I............ WOULD............ OF............"

It really makes me cringe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dubs adding O to the end of male names.

DaveO, JackO, DanO,

Dubs adding bleedin before words and inferring danger just to exagerate something.

instead of "it was good" it is "bleedin deadly"

Or "Brutal"

And size "it was bleedin massive"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

DaveO, JackO, DanO,

Dubs adding bleedin before words and inferring danger just to exagerate something.

instead of "it was good" it is "bleedin deadly
    "

no it was f/ucking savage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I am not = I'm not

Obviously.
    As I said in my previous post, "I amn't" isn't considered to be strictly correct.

I was pointing out that it's understandable that some people say it as there's a certain logic to it.
    If "You are not" becomes either "You aren't" or "You're not" and "He is not" becomes "He isn't" or "He's not," then it's not such a leap for someone to think "I am not" might become "I amn't" or "I'm not."

I never understand when people don't seem to get where it comes from, regardless of whether they find it annoying or not.

DaveO, JackO, DanO,

This one is bad too, but I have to say I prefer it to the British way of putting "Y" at the end of EVERYTHING! Even when it sounds horrible!

"Yeah, me and Wayney were out............."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

MrStuffins wrote: »
    there are definitely people out there who think it's "would OF". I've even heard them say it when breaking down their sentence.

"I............ WOULD............ OF............"

It really makes me cringe!

threads hating on "Irishisms" make me cringe, I'm glad we have our own sayings/mannerisms, it adds to the flavour of being Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Obviously.
    As I said in my previous post, "I amn't" isn't considered to be strictly correct.

I was pointing out that it's understandable that some people say it as there's a certain logic to it.
    If "You are not" becomes either "You aren't" or "You're not" and "He is not" becomes "He isn't" or "He's not," then it's not such a leap for someone to think "I am not" might become "I amn't" or "I'm not."

I never understand when people don't seem to get where it comes from, regardless of whether they find it annoying or not.

I get the logic of it. It probably sounds weird as it isn't said by a wider population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Thailand is not Thighland. The surname Thompson is pronounced with a silent H...etc etc.

threads hating on "Irishisms" make me cringe, I'm glad we have our own sayings/mannerisms, it adds to the flavour of being Irish

I'm glad you celebrate, in a lot of these cases, pig-ignorance!

• Advertisement

I get the logic of it. It probably sounds weird as it isn't said by a wider population.

I guess I'm just old enough to remember it being very common then, when I was young. :)

I actually remember seeing a teacher in a language school teaching "I amn't" to a low-level class learning English as though it were the standard, and that was only a few years ago! :eek:
    That took me by surprise. It's one thing to use it informally; another to teach it, and not "I'm not" to foreign students who probably wouldn't be living in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

In fairness the OP did admit that he was a West Brit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I don't hate any Irish/English/American isms but one of the things I notice is when people in the media say

Thigh-land for Thailand (pronounced, 'Tie-land'). Or when 'thought' is said instead of taught.

I find those little language quirks interesting. I remember reading somewhere that if people don't grow up hearing certain sounds in words that they actually have difficulty hearing them when they encounter them.

I think it's because the brain isn't trained to interpret those sounds and thus hasn't created those neural pathways.

I don't hate any Irish/English/American isms but one of the things I notice is when people in the media say

Thigh-land for Thailand (pronounced, 'Tie-land'). Or when 'thought' is said instead of taught.

I find those little language quirks interesting. I remember reading somewhere that if people don't grow up hearing certain sounds in words that they actually have difficulty hearing them when they encounter them.

I think it's because the brain isn't trained to interpret those sounds and thus hasn't created those neural pathways.

I encountered this when a German person spent a few minutes trying to convince me that there were three distinct "oo" sounds in German. It was a bit surreal, with her repeating "oo, oo, oo" over and over and me sitting there looking stupid.
    I didn't doubt that there were differences, and by the end one of them sounded ever-so-slightly different than the other two, but I just couldn't hear them, while she thought there were three distinctly different sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

''A tin of mineral'' and a ''package of Tayto''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm going to the azoo to see the animals.

• Advertisement

"West Brit," especially when used to describe someone who doesn't fit a very particular idea of what being Irish is.

I also don't like the implication that there's something wrong with liking some aspects of British culture, being British or part-Irish/part-British.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

"West Brit," especially when used to describe someone who doesn't fit a very particular idea of what being Irish is.

I also don't like the implication that there's something wrong with liking some aspects of British culture, being British or part-Irish/part-British.
    Burn the tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Burn the tan.

With Irish peat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

St.Spodo wrote: »
    ''A tin of mineral'' and a ''package of Tayto''.

I think you'll find it's pronounced "apaka Tayho"

ColeTrain wrote: »
    With Irish peat.

with a bit of Polish coal mixed in to help the burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Obviously.
    One of my pet hates is "aren't I?"

I've never worked out how it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I am not = I'm not

And if you don't know that you're a stupid person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

token101 wrote: »

I amn't stupid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

'The craic'. This drives me bonkers. I don't mind 'having good craic' or 'it was good craic', but sticking a 'the' before it drives me mental.

I know a guy who is always going on about 'having the craic' and every time I hear it I picture the stupid gob on him and feel briefly violent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

When I lived outside of Ireland it used to annoy friends if, when they call me asking if I was on my way etc, I'd say "I'm about 5 miles away, I'll be there now", as in close enough.

There'd just be a long silence as they tried to figure out how it's possible that I'd be there now.

This has educated me! I have corrected people on saying Tieland: 'It's not a ****ing tie shop you're going to'. :o But they never said I was wrong, so its all good!

I also despise the way Irish people will deliberately mispronounce easy foreign names just to make themselves feel superior. Not difficult ones, but the most simple ones that when said once you'd get. Like I guy I work with, Laurent, it's pronounced Laur-on. Everyone knows how it's pronounced, but still insist on Laur-ent. The RTE commentators, with the exception of Hamilton and Beglin, are notorious for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Proper Irishisms are great. Shite like "savage" can go and fck off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

The ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

This has educated me! I have corrected people on saying Tieland: 'It's not a ****ing tie shop you're going to'. :o But they never said I was wrong, so its all good!

I also despise the way Irish people will deliberately mispronounce easy foreign names just to make themselves feel superior. Not difficult ones, but the most simple ones that when said once you'd get. Like I guy I work with, Laurent, it's pronounced Laur-on. Everyone knows how it's pronounced, but still insist on Laur-ent. The RTE commentators, with the exception of Hamilton and Beglin, are notorious for it.

The English commentators are a lot worse for it. Did you ever watch soccer saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Chronic alcoholism

• Advertisement

The English commentators are a lot worse for it. Did you ever watch soccer saturday?

They're as bad, I wouldn't say worse. Especially that gowl Merson. The rugby guys are actually pretty good at it. Some foreign names can be difficult, but if you're a commentator it's surely your job to go learn them off. George Hamilton is top class at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

They're as bad, I wouldn't say worse. Especially that gowl Merson. The rugby guys are actually pretty good at it. Some foreign names can be difficult, but if you're a commentator it's surely your job to go learn them off. George Hamilton is top class at it.

He is very good alright. He gets fierce exited with Russian names almost to the brink of orgasm. Merson is a bitter man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

They don't mean the same thing. 'I do/does be' is the habitual tense, something that standard English lacks.

No it doesn't. "I do/does be" in English sounds awkward because that's not how you form the present continuous, which English does have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I hate it when people pronounce horse as 'harse', it makes me cringe. Its even worse when its said by a jockey or trainer.

deirdremf wrote: »
    One of my pet hates is "aren't I?"

I've never worked out how it makes sense.

It's just one of the many strange irregularities of English. Logically "amn't I?" should be as valid as "aren't you?" but I think "amn't" sounds strange to non-Irish English-speakers in particular, so it's not officially correct, and you'd never hear it outside Ireland.

Or grew up hearing it used as the standard form, and were never corrected due to an Irish education system with no attention given to grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'll be back in a 'couple' of minutes!
    Of course this being Ireland, a couple doesn't actually mean 'a couple', it means anything you like :D

Get your Sambo's upstairs (only in Ireland) :D
    Sambo being a derogatory term for a black person is lost on many here in Ireland.

"I slept it out" is a real Irishism.
    You slept what out? was the question from the officer manager in London :D

I was seeing a German girl for a few years and jaysus the differences in interpretation of English between us took a bit of gear grinding before they meshed.

'I'll call over at 8pm' quickly became 'I'll call over tonight' because she thought 'I'll be over at 8' meant that I would be over at 8.

I mean, how silly is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

its probably not exclusively irish, but i hate the saying "happy out". i can feel my fists clenching in a rage when i hear it.

:mad:

One very common mistake that now annoys me a lot is saying "I used not" or "I usen't" instead of the strictly correct "I didn't use to."

Now I know that practically no-one in Ireland says "I didn't use to," so I understand when people use "I used not," and would never correct someone, but once I learned (not too long ago) that "I didn't use to" is the correct negative form of "I use to," "I used not" or "I usen't" grate a little whenever I hear them used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

cassElliot wrote: »
    its probably not exclusively irish, but i hate the saying "happy out". i can feel my fists clenching in a rage when i hear it.

:mad:

Oh it's exclusively Irish and incredibly stupid.

The one that gets me is "for the day that's in it". That just does not make any sense at all, utterly stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Adlantic...... Where the fúck is the Adlantic, some island called Areland in it no doubt. I'm sure Billy Joe-el knows where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

I would of gone
    I could of gone
    I should of gone

I wouldn't say those were Irishisms, since they apply to Brits and Americans too. They're more along the lines of "idiotisms".

I really like the double-contraction, like "could not have" is "couldn't've".

Speaking of idiotisms, the one that drives me crazy is "try and", as in "I'm going to try and improve my grammar." It's "try to" dammit!

That's probably because most of them left school at the age of ten to become professional footballers, or didn't go to school at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

mrkite77 wrote: »
    I would of gone
    I could of gone
    I should of gone

I wouldn't say those were Irishisms, since they apply to Brits and Americans too. They're more along the lines of "idiotisms".

I really like the double-contraction, like "could not have" is "couldn't've".

Speaking of idiotisms, the one that drives me crazy is "try and", as in "I'm going to try and improve my grammar." It's "try to" dammit!

Maybe they're just sure they'll succeed! :P
    ejmaztec wrote: »

That's probably because most of them left school at the age of ten to become professional footballers, or didn't go to school at all.

It annoys me the way the English media will pronounce every name fine except Irish names. It's like they've bastardised them for so long they feel entitled to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Some have very little to be worrying about indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

"the other day" being any time within the last year or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

"the other day" being any time within the last year or two

And ISH..... falls in the same category, " i'll be there at 9 ISH " ," im off the smokes ISH", " im on the wagon ISH" , " yeah im good ISH.

Ah and the other one "ows Tings " who the hell is tings

Oh and " any news "...... go buy a paper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Honest to God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

irish timekeeping in general.

"Ill be there in a while".....anything between 15 mins and 4 hours.

We're never on time for bloody anything, drives me mad as im the one always early like a tit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement