Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An issue with getting an XBox with Kinect in USA??

Options
  • 02-03-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

A relation in US wants to get our kids a good pressie, I would go halves with them on the above (its a Xmas pressie in the next couple of years anway, so maybe an early one).

I presume they are sold in US?, my sense is that US electronics are cheaper than Europe, is that the accepted wisdom?

Any technical issues in terms of interaction with computers or TV protocols - I think we'll get over the power source issue as most power leads have transformers anyway???

I've seen 4GB and & 250G versions, what the essential difference?? I have a 1 TB hard drive so I dont really need the storage space, but does it mean anything for the gameplay or functionality - e.g. if were online gaming?

Any other views? (other than I'm blackguarding my relation ! ;)) Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Em, the region locking? It'll only play US game discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Similar to DVDs, the console will have a US Region, which means you won't be able to play any region locked games you buy here. A lot of games are region locked, but some are.
    The 4GB has issues with online play for the odd game and you won't be downloading much DLC. Some map packs for games are 2GB +.
    Also won't be able to install games on the hard drive.

Quick check on prices.
    250GB in US (BestBuy)= $299 (~€227)
    250GB in Ireland (Gamestop) = €250 (but includes Halo Anniversary Game - worth about €30)

sugarman wrote: »
    ..on the other hand, another option would be ps3 which is'nt region locked.

But has an internal PSU so will need a step down voltage convertor. Blu Ray & DVD playback will also be limited to US regions with the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

thanks folks, narrow escape then!!

Bit surprised about region locking, I thought that was a kind of 'hangover' issue that applied to old DVDs/players and wouldnt even affect the newer ones. Never dawned on me that it would apply to computer hardware/software.

Betsy Og wrote: »
    thanks folks, narrow escape then!!

Bit surprised about region locking, I thought that was a kind of 'hangover' issue that applied to old DVDs/players and wouldnt even affect the newer ones. Never dawned on me that it would apply to computer hardware/software.

The PS3 is largely the only recent console that doesn't use regional locking on its games, the rest all do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Yeah as said above, don't.

Why not get your relatives to send you their half of the money and get it here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

EnterNow wrote: »
    But has an internal PSU so will need a step down voltage convertor. Blu Ray & DVD playback will also be limited to US regions with the PS3.
    I thought the PSU in it will accept 110v and 220v, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

PSU in PS3 will accept both. Have a lauch 80GB PS3 from states at home. Using a 2-pin to 3-pin trravel adapter and it works fine. Have also taken the lead from my PC to check and both work fine. Blu-ray player is region locked however :mad:.

Back to OP's question: If anything goes wrong with a US X-box you will need to return it to the (US) shop to get rectification (and you would also be subject to whatever the US consumer laws are).

Are there any tax/VAT implications for your relative bringing the console through customs at Irish airport? If posting I would imagine the cost are prohibitve and most likely will get stopped by An Post/Revenue. I think there is a limit to value of presents which is quite low.

Advertisement