Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding ticket

Options
  • 02-03-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I've just gotten a $216 speeding ticket on my way from sydney to gold coast. What would happen if I don't pay the fine? would it mess up my application for my 2nd year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Seeing as this may be a recent occurrence for when you plan for a second visa, the checks might show up an outstanding speeding fine. Could then swing either way depending on immigration officer.

Best to pay the fine and not find out what might happen if you don't.

Did you show an Oz licence or an Irish one?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I had one the first week after arriving here a few years back and showed my Irish licence,paid the fine and nothing more was made of it other than a lesson.
    I would pay,you were in the wrong and it could come back and work against you if unpaid,clear conscience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I got a $370 3 weeks ago, i just paid it yesterday, and will never speed again!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I've just gotten a $216 speeding ticket on my way from sydney to gold coast. What would happen if I don't pay the fine? would it mess up my application for my 2nd year?
    Probably not but later on it will be a concern the best idea would be to save yourself the worry. At least your not losing points.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

If you don't pay a fine it will expire after a certain amount of time. They will send you an infringement notice to the address you gave them or one linked to your driving license.
    That basically says you have to appear in a court.
    If you ignore that they will issue an infringement warrant.
    http://online.fines.vic.gov.au/fines/Content.aspx?page=15&s=2&rm=10&p=2

I presume it's the same for all states.
    Just pay the fine, it'll save you a lot of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Speeding tickets don`t carry through from state to state,so if you get a ticket in Queensland on your way to Victoria and you are moving state then its up to you whether you want to pay it.
    This is from the horses mouth,a detective friend in Melbourne advised me back in 2005 as the exact thing happened to me.
    I got residence after in oz and it never affected me flying in and out of the country.
    The system is not linked up interstate and I doubt it is linked up to the immigration unless its a serious crime and they have your passport.
    Where they could get you is on the reggo of the car,who ever registered the car would usually have to show passport.We bought ours of a couple of backpackers and the cop just took the name of the license which was my Uk one and on our way we were.

Advertisement