Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving car insurance lapse ?

• 02-03-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Currently abroad with work and car insurance up for renewal.

Prob won't be home for a year or so.

If I don't renew my car insurance do I loose my no claims bonus when I get back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

sillycow wrote: »

If I don't renew my car insurance do I loose my no claims bonus when I get back?

Last time i was away for two years my insurance company told me that if at least 1 of my ncb years was within the last three years i was ok.

This is only my experience though with Axa. Other insurance companies might have a different view and might look for proof of insurance from where you are living now. and other hoops to jump through. Give your insurance company a call, whats the worse they can say :)

You have 2 years from the renewal date to use the bonus. It will expire after that but saying that if you call an insurance company directly they will probably be flexible if there is a month or two in the difference.

Make sure you tell your insurance company you aren't renewing as some companies will automatically renew your policy and take it out of your account if you were on direct debit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Make sure it won't renew automatically, as some insurance companies do it.

I was really surprised when my wife's policy was renewed automatically when we were away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Just make sure the car is not parked anywhere the public have vehicular access otherwise you'll need to keep insurance and motor tax up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Just make sure the car is not parked anywhere the public have vehicular access otherwise you'll need to keep insurance and motor tax up to date.

Is it a requirement to have insurance on a car parked in a public place? (Im not doubting you; I genuinely didnt know this). I know tax is required.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Is it a requirement to have insurance on a car parked in a public place? (Im not doubting you; I genuinely didnt know this). I know tax is required.

It is requirement indeed.
    However traffic warden can fine you only for no tax. He has no power to fine you for no insurance.
    It would have to be a garda to issue a fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Makes sense now that I think about it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

This whole NCB expiring thing seems like a complete racket by the insurance companies to me. If someone has 5+ years NCB but decides to leave the country for two years why exactly does their NCB reset to 0 when they come back? They havnt made a claim, theyre no less qualified to drive than when they left...it seems extremely unfair to me.

People (young males especially) spend years expensively building up their NCB, having to do it twice just because they emigrated for 24 months is pretty rough.

Blut2 wrote: »
    This whole NCB expiring thing seems like a complete racket by the insurance companies to me. If someone has 5+ years NCB but decides to leave the country for two years why exactly does their NCB reset to 0 when they come back? They havnt made a claim, theyre no less qualified to drive than when they left...it seems extremely unfair to me.

People (young males especially) spend years expensively building up their NCB, having to do it twice just because they emigrated for 24 months is pretty rough.

If they don't drive over those 24 months, they might forget how to do it :D

Advertisement