Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shorten barrel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

jagged wrote: »
    Anybody???!!!

i'd imagine gerry gearon in clonmel could do it

(052)6138164

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

rowa wrote: »
    Yeah, and he could just as easily send of his buddies with balaclavas around to do a home collection, stick with getting work done by rfd's.

95% of RFDs will strip the gun and send it to a machine shop which is not a RFD to have the work carried out and if so who is responsible if something goes wrong . I am not having a go just some food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well AFAIK your contract with the RFD would oblige them to carry out the work or ensure that it was carried out. If the work done was sub-par, they've failed to abide by their half of the agreement, so they're liable for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I very much doubt any RFD would knowingly or purposely send a firarm or componant part of a firearm to a NON RFD to have work carried out on it.

It would land both parties in alot of trouble, and the RFd could kiss his/her RFD license goodbye. Then the shop taking in the parts could be charged with possession of unlicensed firearms, illegal possession of componant parts, etc.

Before you decide to come back and say "well i know X, Y, and Z that are doing this" remember there are some pretty strict rules on Boards, and very serious laws regarding (possible) defamatory remarks/statments towards named individuals. So unless you have some documented proof of such goings on (or even if you do) consider the ramifications of posting such info on a public, and open forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

Ezridax wrote: »
    Before you decide to come back and say "well i know X, Y, and Z that are doing this" remember there are some pretty strict rules on Boards, and very serious laws regarding (possible) defamatory remarks/statments towards named individuals. So unless you have some documented proof of such goings on (or even if you do) consider the ramifications of posting such info on a public, and open forum.

I have no intention of naming anybody i am not looking to cause hassle for for any RFDs ,Boards or myself as i said before just some food for thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

davekangoo wrote: »
    im looking for someone to shorten the barrel on a cz17hmr and rethread it
    anyone know of such a person
    plus what difference does it make to accuracy
    Personally I'd never would buy a rifle with a short barrel as id leave it the way the manufacture made it even tho it looks better,more compact even when a mod is on it but the down fall is the balance will be off as it be heavier on the rear,it will have greater muzzle blast,more recoil and muzzle lift,the shorter barrel also will not stabilize the bullet much at long ranges so less fps,increased bullet drop and grouping may not be as tight. There will be a louder bang/crack when fired depending on size of your round, you also will need an experienced lathe turner who knows about fire arms to put the right crown back on the rifle after its shortened but at end of day not many like buying rifles that are shortened for these reasons. Its your rifle at the end of day

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭davekangoo

i tend to agree with you

i tend to agree with you
    You've nothing to worry about leaving it at factory spec lad. IMO you will be out alot money shortening it professionally also you will have them down falls but all you will gain by shortening it is mobility and that's about all. It's a good rifle you have I wouldn't ruin it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

4200fps wrote: »
    Personally I'd never would buy a rifle with a short barrel as id leave it the way the manufacture made it

What about rifles that come from the manufacturer with short barrels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Vegeta wrote: »

CZ .22/.17 with 16" barrels are some of the best sellers for one of the local RFD's along with the odd guy who gets a his barrel shortened/threaded. I have a short(ened) barrel on my .22 and no loss of performance. No need for a long barrel on a .22
    You have nothing to fear from rifle with a short barrel or from shortening a barrel so long as you get it done by one of the many highly recommended gunsmiths in the country

• Advertisement

Thats a differnt story,the way the manufactre designed it to be is best. They do insure its going to perform good before they put it into production. I picked up a .220 remington and a steyr .243 and the cowning didn't look great,also the rear of the rifles felt alot heavier compared to the unshortend rifle in same spec. Totaly unballanced and thats not a good thing at all. Looks good but thats about all. I told the dealer I had no interest in either as they were the first two to introduce to me as i know why-he's stuck with them not too many wants them. When i say these were short i mean 4 inchs taken off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

C/Z in .22lr ......a factory made short barrel Vs a shortened barrel from the muzzle end .......C/Z factory barrel,for me any day !
    The best way to shorten a .22lr barrel is from the chamber ,imo!

lefthooker wrote: »
    CZ .22/.17 with 16" barrels are some of the best sellers for one of the local RFD's along with the odd guy who gets a his barrel shortened/threaded. I have a short(ened) barrel on my .22 and no loss of performance. No need for a long barrel on a .22
    You have nothing to fear from rifle with a short barrel or from shortening a barrel so long as you get it done by one of the many highly recommended gunsmiths in the country
    You will feel it on the pocket getting it done right, he will have to recrown it properly which is a job you wont know if its 100% by looking at it also he may have to rethread it if you've a mod. Well on a .22 I doubt anybody will notice a difference but shorten any rifle from .204 and greater you will see it down range. Grouping wont be as good also bullet drop may be up to and inch greater . Less rifleing on a barrel cant be good as it may not stabilize the round as great after 250 yards. I dont think theres any performance factors by shortening a rifle barrel outside factory spec IMO. I think its silly shortening them,it may also decrease value of your rifle. If you hear the crack out of a swift with a shortend barrel it would burst your ear drum and they are savage loud as it is with standard length barrel. You will end up having greater muzzle flip and flash and nobody wants that at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

On a .22lr the barrel doesn't gain anything by being longer then 10-12 inches , the propellant has expanded as much as its going to in that time , in fact shortening the barrel may increase the velocity as the bullet suffers from drag on the inside of the barrel for the remainder of its travel. Also its the rate of the rifling that determines the stability , not the amount of it. After all i've seen .22 pistols with short barrels (3.5"-6") that were very accurate out to 50 yards.

Anschutz make a range of rimfire short barrel sporters.

rowa wrote: »
    On a .22lr the barrel doesn't gain anything by being longer then 10-12 inches , the propellant has expanded as much as its going to in that time , in fact shortening the barrel may increase the velocity as the bullet suffers from drag on the inside of the barrel for the remainder of its travel. Also its the rate of the rifling that determines the stability , not the amount of it. After all i've seen .22 pistols with short barrels (3.5"-6") that were very accurate out to 50 yards.

Anschutz make a range of rimfire short barrel sporters.
    I wont dis agree rowa on your post but a good man firing a fast round like .204 or heavy round will/should notice it down range but on .22 or less ,small case rounds I wouldnt know so you may be 100% correct in what your saying. I may be wrong with what i said in above posts but i dont think i am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

lefthooker wrote: »

I won't argue with you regard shortening a centrefire barrel but I posted regard rimfire barrels as the OP's original question was regarding a .17 HMR. And as some rifles don't come factory threaded there isn't much extra cost in getting your rimfire rifle shortened and recrowned if you are getting it threaded for a mod.

I know he was on about the .17hmr but i was just saying whats the advantages of shortening a rifle out of factory spec other than looks and greater mobility. I was just giving examples of the down sides so he could think about what he wish's to do rather than the man saying ah SH!TE pity nobody told me this was going to happen,the mans gun could be very unbalanced and there's many people out there who cut half their barrel of and realise its not worth a dam having all the problems i mentioned and maybe more and leave in with dealer hoping someone else will get codded by buying it. Well if he gets it reduced by 2 inch's tops and re crowned he may be happy with it and it could be a success but will the next buyer want it is another thing. Its too good of a rifle to saw imo

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭davekangoo

im inclined to agree with you
    better the devil you know

im inclined to agree with you
    better the devil you know
    Cheers davekangoo, makes sense tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

why not trade it your rifle and buy a factory shortened one , i wouldn like to mess with the factor settings .

• Advertisement
Advertisement