Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick clarification please

Options
  • 02-03-2012 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

hi lads,

I posted in a thread which made reference to the company I work for.

could you let me know if my post is considered "shilling" if so can I get it deleted. I dont want to be banned as I have an advert in the gaa thread looking for players

kind regards,

Ian

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77387017

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Shilling means attempting to advertise/promote usually by deception, and by not revealing a vested interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

So while it isn't shilling (in my opinion), it does appear self promotional even if it is in response to a mention of your site. If you want to represent your company you should contact the boards.ie offices through reps@boards.ie and arrange for a verified rep account. Otherwise we can't allow any kind of commercial or self-promotional activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Iansheridan

Spear wrote: »
    Shilling means attempting to advertise/promote usually by deception, and by not revealing a vested interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

So while it isn't shilling (in my opinion), it does appear self promotional even if it is in response to a mention of your site. If you want to represent your company you should contact the boards.ie offices through reps@boards.ie and arrange for a verified rep account. Otherwise we can't allow any kind of commercial or self-promotional activity.

Hi Spear,

I appreciate the response.
    I assume from your post that asking clients and potential clients for feedback on our services is frowned upon unlessi hold a verified rep account.

Could I request you delete my post in that thread as I wouldnt like to be banned.

thanks

Ian

Edit: email sent to reps@boards.ie about becoming a verified rep

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi Spear,

I appreciate the response.
    I assume from your post that asking clients and potential clients for feedback on our services is frowned upon unlessi hold a verified rep account.

Could I request you delete my post in that thread as I wouldnt like to be banned.

thanks

Ian

Edit: email sent to reps@boards.ie about becoming a verified rep

I can't remove that post, I'm not an admin or mod of there. You can delete your own post, by choosing to edit it, then press the advanced options button, and there'll be a delete post option.

But, yes, asking for feedback regarding the company would constitute commercial activity.

Advertisement