Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audio for TV, laptop, xbox

• 02-03-2012 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Forgive me is this is int he wrong forum - I don't even know what HE in the forum title means.

But...

For some reason the volume on my TV when plugged into the UPC box refuses to increase above 20. You can still increase it with the remote - and the little on screen bar indicates it is going up and up all the way to 80 - but above about 20 the sound that comes out doesn't get any louder and if the kettle is on or something you can't hear the TV. I would think the speakers were knackered except this doesn't happen with the Xbox which will quite happliy blast away through the speakers.

Anyhow - I was thinking to get some external speaker system to compensate. Can anyone recommend something half decent, relatively cheap that I can plug TV, xbox and laptop into if and when I feel like it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Most TVs have what used to be called "Hotel Mode". This limited the volume so you didn't disturb other guests next door. Some where in the menu system there should be an option to disable this. It might be called AVL - Automatic Volume Limiter but this differs between manufacturers. If you give us the make model of the TV we may be able to advise further ?

Ken

Oh and HE stands for Home Entertainment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Tis a Samsung - LE40R8 (I think)

I just had a good play around the menu couldn't fix it.

If it is a mode why does it not happen with xbox ? Could it be something to do with the UPC box ?

Edit: Just played with the UPC box there is a separate volume but maxing it out just distorts the sound and doesn't make it all that much louder

Apologies, just re-read your original post. How are the various devices connected to the TV ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Apologies, just re-read your original post. How are the various devices connected to the TV ?

Ken

eh the xbox is HDMI
    the uPc.....hmmm i'll have a look - SCART

I have a Samsung too. Like you my UPC box is via a SCART connector and my PS3 is via HDMI. I set the TV volume to about 35 - 40 which gives ample volume with the UPC box turned up full. With the PS3 I usually turn it back to about 25 to avoid annoying the neighbors unless I run it through my amplifier that is . . . in which case it's tough luck neighbors these bad guys need to die !! :D

Is this something that's just happened by the way ? Or has it always been this way ? Might it be worth trying a different SCART lead or browsing the UPC box menus ?

It's getting late and I have to be in work at 7.30 but I'll go through the menus tomorrow and get back to you if I can see anything.

Ken

• Advertisement

It happened a while ago - as in months back. Don't remember an exact day, but I don't think it was always like that. I could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

there is volume control on the upc box also perhaps that is turned down too low

dharn wrote: »
    there is volume control on the upc box also perhaps that is turned down too low

Its mid way - like 7/10
    If I turn it up any higher it causes distortion

Advertisement