Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squash Courts in Limerick???

• 02-03-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi folks. Trying to find out where there are squash courts available in limerick, and not getting very far...

So far I've learned that UL used to have courts, but tore them down and built offices! Delta have none. Limerick Lawn Tennis Club have some but you have to take full membership at €400 per yr...no thanks! One other place called Catholic Institute Athletic Club (which sounds like a throowback to the 1950's) apparently has some, but they don't answer their phones or have an email addres...and that's it!

anyone know anywhere else that Google hasn't heard of? ideally on a pay as you go basis, as opposed to membership

any advice much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Eamonn2010 wrote: »
    Hi folks. Trying to find out where there are squash courts available in limerick, and not getting very far...

So far I've learned that UL used to have courts, but tore them down and built offices! Delta have none. Limerick Lawn Tennis Club have some but you have to take full membership at €400 per yr...no thanks! One other place called Catholic Institute Athletic Club (which sounds like a throowback to the 1950's) apparently has some, but they don't answer their phones or have an email addres...and that's it!

anyone know anywhere else that Google hasn't heard of? ideally on a pay as you go basis, as opposed to membership

any advice much appreciated...

Ring the Catholic Institute after 7 anyways. That's all I can tell you on that regard I'm afraid.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Eamonn2010

appreciate that, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Ring the Catholic Institute after 7 anyways. That's all I can tell you on that regard I'm afraid.

Catholic Institute used to only allow members to play (and IIRC used to discourage members bringing non-members to play against).

Maybe the recession has made them less restrictive, but a few years back it was the reason I opted for elsewhere (Croom Community Centre thankfully had one, and it was only out the new road, but they unfortunately did what UL did and ridiculously got rid of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Eamonn2010

Catholic Institute confirmed still membership only, €100 for 3 mths...
    amazed that nowhere in whole of limerick city area where you play squash on a pay as you go basis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

If the Catholic institute offered a pay as you go service I might
    be tempted to visit and pay and try squash every now and again but I'm not williing paying 100 Euro for 3 month membership, would much rather a pay as you go scheme.

For pay as you go try the CIE club:
    http://www.mypois.ie/mpoi.php?n=cie-sports-&-social-club&i=139636

I've played Squash once in my entire life, and loved it.
    I was not great at it could not give a damn about the rules
    and twisted my knee at the time but enjoyed a night of whacking a non bouncy ball off a wall and tormenting my workm8's

As I've mentioned on the Limerick boards once before
    Myself and two workmates went to the CIE club one night where
    we paid the guy behind the bar at the club a few euro to use the courts.
    He wrote our names down in a book and allowed us to book the court again in advance. But for some reason when we turned up the following week to play he pretended he did not know us and magically any record of us booking the court time disappeared from his books. we think this was because he was making a few quid from allowing non-members to use the courts but when members turned up to use them they got priority.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

CIE club as mentioned above on careys road are still going as far as i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quirkytrade

Hi Folks,

I know it has been a while since anyone has replied to this forum, but have been looking myself to play squash in Limerick for a while, without the expense of a full years membership. Used to play a little bit in UL and when I moved to Dublin, never competitively and only for fun and loved it.

Was also looking for a play for pay option and was wondering if there were enough people looking to do this would there be any interest in setting up an informal 'squash club' and see if we could rent a court(s) in Catholic Institute or Limerick Lawn on a weekly bi weekly basis (as other clubs do in hiring facilities from clubs that have them). I think it would work similarly to a pay as you play basis but without the need to fork out for membership and would give people a variety of opponents.

This is fairly raw as I haven't enquired if it is possible to rent facilities but better to find out if people are interested in this before doing any more leg work. Had the thought that they might be more amenable to hiring out facilities rather than encouraging pay per play.

Would anyone have any interest in trying this approach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

hi Quirky,

I played quite a bit last year as a guest of a member of Catholic Institute. They put a bit of pressure on us to purchase three month membership, but it didn't make sense to us. For different reasons I don't play anymore, but some friends do. I can put you in touch with them if you like and maybe a group of you could get something going.

zulutango wrote: »
    hi Quirky,

I played quite a bit last year as a guest of a member of Catholic Institute. They put a bit of pressure on us to purchase three month membership, but it didn't make sense to us. For different reasons I don't play anymore, but some friends do. I can put you in touch with them if you like and maybe a group of you could get something going.

Yeah zulu that would be great thanks. could see of something could be started.with all the sports facilities the city has there's a severe shortage of squash courts.surprised ul hasn't replaced theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

Hi,

I would be interested in this also. I used to play in the CIE club as a pay as go rate €5 per half hour. You need to ring after 6, it's badly run so can be difficult to book, they will double book you as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Hi,

I would be interested in this also. I used to play in the CIE club as a pay as go rate €5 per half hour. You need to ring after 6, it's badly run so can be difficult to book, they will double book you as well.

tell me about it:rolleyes:

Anyone else interested in an idea like this. If we can get a couple more we can see if we can get it off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Would a handball alley suffice on a nice day? There's a few of them around.

Yeah zulu that would be great thanks. could see of something could be started.with all the sports facilities the city has there's a severe shortage of squash courts.surprised ul hasn't replaced theirs.

I told my friend about your idea, but he says he's not playing these days. I directed him to the thread in any case.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Would a handball alley suffice on a nice day? There's a few of them around.

Nope. There's no back wall on a handball alley, and I'd imagine the wall surface is not suitable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I know a few people that play raquetball in Caherline handball alley,just take along a few euro for the electricity meter. It has a high back wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jimstir

Hi guys,

Im living in Limerick and would love to play squash again. If anyone is interested please let me know. I usta play a good bit but Im definitely not a pro. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Hey Jimstir, I would also be interested in a game. Played it once to be honest, but played badminton for years so that helped a bit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Just reviving this again, trying to locate someplace to play for myself and a work colleague one night a week but coming up with the same answers.... Just seeing if anybody had anything new to add?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Unfortunately there are no other answers! It's a shame really, the old courts in UL were very handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Brendan Lawton

If anyone is still interested Limerick Lawn Tennis Club is under new leadership and looking for members. I'm sure they'll be interested in doing a deal. As far as I know they've a squash only membership now.

Also Munster Squash are trying to get a club in LIT going for next year, though they'll be playing out of LLTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bareessential

Hi Brendan
    I'm very keen to play squash in Limerick i was only searching the web yesterday when i came across your post..

is it best to get in contact with the LLTC or who is best to talk to about the club in LIT. Or is the LIT club only for students?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brendan Lawton

I'll pm with a contact email for Liam O'Byrne the new captain in Limerick Lawn Tennis club.

Munster Squash are redoing our club list at the moment, so it's not up-to date right now.

Advertisement