Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alves 27lbs heavier after weigh in

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That's nuts, ridicules the whole weight classes.

I'd be a bit skeptical at that tbh. 27 pounds in 3 hours? that's 12 kilos, which is a bit ridiculous.

They should do a weigh in during training camp and limit it to a percentage of their walking around weight that they can cut safely before the fight.

I'm predicting organ problems for Mr. Alves down the line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

done right not that big a deal, depends on body type etc etc cathal and chris both do about the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

2 stone in 3 hours? How is that even possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

How is this kind of drop possible? Would love if somebody in the know could post a how-to I get asked all the time but ehh don't have a breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm just presuming here, but surely he had to have weighed in with his head detatched from his body!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

That's the mass of 12 cartons of milk or 36 cans of Coke.

That's a lot of Coke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

That's the mass of 12 cartons of milk or 36 cans of Coke.

That's a lot of Coke.
    Mostly water, nothing in your gut/digestive system.... good cutting coaching/support, high transit foods in the run in and clever water manipulation before and of course after.

Also it's pretty good psychology to post a pic of how massive you are for your opponent, especially when he knows you have had a tough cut.

.... and the real secret is clipping your nails and scraping out belly button fluff but sssshhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

gimmick wrote: »

Replacing electrolytes and fluids, iv drips could be used for best affect-rehydration in general usually continues right up to a bit before the fight in reality.

How is this kind of drop possible? Would love if somebody in the know could post a how-to I get asked all the time but ehh don't have a breeze.

Dropping food for a day or 2!
    losing fluids through certain measures, sweat suits, Sauna's, Hot Baths with eppsom salts, generally just horrible tortoruos stuff that is best never done!! their is many ways and some people use all the above and more, its way to complicated as their is no 1 way of doing it, their is also fluid overhydration over days followed by withdrawal of fluids which makes you wee and sweat like mad and quick.

Unless competing at a high level i recommend not doing any of this to severe, even then trial it before you do it as some people will just not be able to do it or recover from it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

His size didn't help him against GSP or Fitch, seems like a lot of effort for nothing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I don't doubt he had an extreme cut but I would say there's at least a few lbs of exaggeration there or maybe the scale is out. The pic was posted by Dolce and he has a reason to exaggerate.

Even if you allow for a couple of lbs of food it's still 25lbs fluid or ~13% bodyweight.

There's no way to do that 'properly', any medical professional would advise against it and these guys in the UFC have medical teams with IVs standing by. Rumble couldn't feel his legs and was very dizzy towards the end of his aborted cut.

Definitely a 'big deal' and not a chance anybody fighting on small cards here is doing that kind of cut. You're approaching fatal levels of dehdration with that kind of fluid loss. That's why I think its exaggerated.

_oveless wrote: »
    His size didn't help him against GSP or Fitch, seems like a lot of effort for nothing to me.

Of course it helped, it just wasn't the difference between him being competitive or not in the fights

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Apparently drinking a gallon of water is the equivalent of 8 pounds for these top level athletes.

So says Joe Rogan anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Either way it didnt help he tapped out last night haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

ASOT wrote: »
    Either way it didnt help he tapped out last nisght haha

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I don't doubt he had an extreme cut but I would say there's at least a few lbs of exaggeration there or maybe the scale is out. The pic was posted by Dolce and he has a reason to exaggerate.

Even if you allow for a couple of lbs of food it's still 25lbs fluid or ~13% bodyweight.

There's no way to do that 'properly', any medical professional would advise against it and these guys in the UFC have medical teams with IVs standing by. Rumble couldn't feel his legs and was very dizzy towards the end of his aborted cut.

Definitely a 'big deal' and not a chance anybody fighting on small cards here is doing that kind of cut. You're approaching fatal levels of dehdration with that kind of fluid loss. That's why I think its exaggerated.
    unless you've done it you cant say, look at cathal how he makes 77 is a miracle to me, jk must be pumping him full of helium before weigh ins

Naos wrote: »
    Thanks.

Not defending the lad posting the spoiler, but if you don't want the fight spoiled but then not only go onto the MMA forum on Boards, but actually go into a thread discussing the fight the day after said fight...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not defending the lad posting the spoiler, but if you don't want the fight spoiled but then not only go onto the MMA forum on Boards, but actually go into a thread discussing the fight the day after said fight...............

??

I went into a thread discussing weight and pre fight, I haven't gone into the big Alves V Kampmann thread as I know it will contain spoilers.

No worries though.

Naos wrote: »
    ??

I went into a thread discussing weight and pre fight, I haven't gone into the big Alves V Kampmann thread as I know it will contain spoilers.

No worries though.

I understand that, but if i really didn't want the fight spoiled I wouldn't go into a thread discussing one of the participants. That's just me though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I just avoid every outlet with any mention of MMA until I have seen the event... Not just individual threads. I already had Diaz-Condit and Edgar-Bendo ruined by just logging into facebook :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

A powerlifters perspective on weight cutting - http://www.elitefts.com/documents/cut_max_weight_for_comp.htm

I wouldn't necessarily agree with it, but people were asking how it's done. So there's a method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

MrStuffins wrote: »

Cheers, i assumed people would have seen the fight before going into any related thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gimmick wrote: »
    It's big, defo the upper end of the spectrum, but I don't thinks its as unbelievable as people are suggesting.

Apparently drinking a gallon of water is the equivalent of 8 pounds for these top level athletes.

So says Joe Rogan anyways...
    It's easy to work out. 1 gallon is 3.785 litres (therefore the same in kilos), which is 8.3 lbs. It would be essentailly the same for dioralyte type stuff they they are drinking, plus is absorbed easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I think this comes down to body type, some people are just able to cut a lot of weight, others aren't. Alves has always looked huge for the weight class, his upper body is yoked up to go holy fook compared to anybody else in the division. It must be down to body composition, whatever it is about his body is suited to shedding a lot of water weight. I don't think this is an argument against the weight class or the timing of weigh ins, because there will always be dudes who are better at it than others and they will have a perceived advantage because of this, even with weigh ins on the day of the fight (which are dangerous anyway, apparently).

And anyway, size isn't necessarily the be all and end all. Look at Jon Jones. He is naturally a lighter guy than Rampage (pretty sure Quintin walks around at 220 plus), but he pretty much clowned Jackson when they came together. It came down to skills, like it does 99% of the time (excluding freak occurrences like Sapp v Hoost, but how often do we see that kind of thing?). Alves is the real deal, heavier or not. He'd do damage even if he didn't have this kind of weight cutting ability, but fair play to Kampman, he got the better of him on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And anyway, size isn't necessarily the be all and end all. Look at Jon Jones. He is naturally a lighter guy than Rampage (pretty sure Quintin walks around at 220 plus),

Yeah, despite what people often think Jones isn't a Big LHW. But he isn't, not in terms of mass. He's tall with a huge span. But he wieghs about 220. The bigger guys are around 230. For his last fight Rampage was trying to cut down from 232lbs.

Advertisement