Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied mathematics

• 02-03-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

hey im dyslexic so i dont irish but still do french .. but i might drop it for my leaving. so that means that i will only be able to do 6 subjects for my leaving. applied maths isnt available in my school so i was thinking about doing it for my leaving so if anyone that did or knows of anyone that did applied maths please tell me about it .

i know like 25 percent of students get a's in it and i am thinking of doing medicine or enginnering . im also very good at maths and will be doing honors for my leaving . im also very good at science nd i like physics alot but cant do it for leaving because its not available in my school . will that affect me ? sorry for the long message but any replies will be appreciated . thanks :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi paddzdaman - I'm going to move your post to the Leaving Cert forum where I think you'll get more relevant replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

paddzdaman wrote: »
    hey im dyslexic so i dont irish but still do french .. but i might drop it for my leaving. so that means that i will only be able to do 6 subjects for my leaving. applied maths isnt available in my school so i was thinking about doing it for my leaving so if anyone that did or knows of anyone that did applied maths please tell me about it .

i know like 25 percent of students get a's in it and i am thinking of doing medicine or enginnering . im also very good at maths and will be doing honors for my leaving . im also very good at science nd i like physics alot but cant do it for leaving because its not available in my school . will that affect me ? sorry for the long message but any replies will be appreciated . thanks :D

Hey paddzdaman, firstly, I would just like to say that French is a great language to have, so maybe keep at it!

Secondly, you can still do Applied Maths outside school without giving up French! More info and Applied Maths is here --> http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/leaving_cert_subjects.php?course_id=3&ed_sub_cat_id=7&menu_parent_id=2&course_name=Applied+Math..

Also, If you did decide to take it instead of French, I'm guessing your school won't allow it unless some teacher will teach it to you then.. :/ But, good luck anyway! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

paddzdaman wrote: »

Doing Applied Maths outside school is no disadvantage whatsoever presuming you get a decent teacher. Me, I took it up in 6th year, did the course in 2 months and a half, and what do you know I got an A1 in the mock! :D If you are anyway mathematically minded it really isn't that bad at all. Although the exam papers do seem very difficult at first, the marking scheme is amazing! I only got 2 questions fully correct in the mock out of 6 like :P And like 30% get A's by the way ;)

Oh and you don't need to do physics to do applied maths, however applied maths makes the maths part of physics very easy! One of the questions on applied maths is on the maths course too so they overlap :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

i think if you are going to do applied maths outside school then you should also consider doing physics outside school. physics would help alot. also applied maths is a short course so you could fit in both subjects outside school if you are interested enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Hey paddzdaman, firstly, I would just like to say that French is a great language to have, so maybe keep at it!

Secondly, you can still do Applied Maths outside school without giving up French! More info and Applied Maths is here --> http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/leaving_cert_subjects.php?course_id=3&ed_sub_cat_id=7&menu_parent_id=2&course_name=Applied+Math..

Also, If you did decide to take it instead of French, I'm guessing your school won't allow it unless some teacher will teach it to you then.. :/ But, good luck anyway! :D

yeah i probley will do french for my leaving .. im starting to get more into it lately . i did really well so far ( mostly b's) in my mocks except french so i might focus more on french nd try nd do well in it. i have had 4 french teachers in 3 years .. espically the teacher i have now. thanks for the advice much appreciated :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

Wesc. wrote: »
    Doing Applied Maths outside school is no disadvantage whatsoever presuming you get a decent teacher. Me, I took it up in 6th year, did the course in 2 months and a half, and what do you know I got an A1 in the mock! :D If you are anyway mathematically minded it really isn't that bad at all. Although the exam papers do seem very difficult at first, the marking scheme is amazing! I only got 2 questions fully correct in the mock out of 6 like :P And like 30% get A's by the way ;)

Oh and you don't need to do physics to do applied maths, however applied maths makes the maths part of physics very easy! One of the questions on applied maths is on the maths course too so they overlap :)

ok thanks for the advice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I may be wrong but I'd say part of the reason for the high amount of A is that many people doing it are doing it outside of school and so are probably very interested in it, and unlike many other subjects you don't have people doing it just because they have to pick a subject.

But yeah if you are good at maths, go for it shouldn't be too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Yeah the whole 30% of students getting an A in it means nothing when you consider the fact that the only people who take up Applied Maths are generally very smart and interested. Im not saying that your not btw.
    Its the same with Ag. Science, it has a low A rate because generally you will find that the messers all do Ag science because its an "easy" subject.

Advertisement