Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭plhealy2000

Anyone know why carphone warehouse are not doing this on meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

kenyard wrote: »
    stop complaining and download kies so as has been suggested 4-5 times already. or just wait another few weeks and be quiet

latest version will have brightness thing in notifications pulldown.
    also was the muting thing there always a toggle between silent/vibrate/sound?
    never realised it went to silent as well as vibrate mode

With O2, Kies tells me that 'Updating software via Kies is not available' - I think O2 have jammed it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This post has been deleted.

I just bought this one - €14 all in

Quite happy with it - Stable grip and rotates from Portrait to Landscape easily..

Have a look at where your cigarette charger is though as this one is an all in one connector so you need a bit of space around the socket for it to fit.

I drive an Automatic so it's not a problem for me , but it might get in the way if you're driving a manual and the socket is near the gear stick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

With O2, Kies tells me that 'Updating software via Kies is not available' - I think O2 have jammed it!

They haven't block it. Same thing went on with the S1 and S2. They update kies and then it just works.

I don't think branded GS3 phones get the same updates the international version gets. Least not right away. (unless you rooted and/or ROMed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Varkov wrote: »
    Hey dude, I'm looking to do something similar. The only 6 month low cost plan I could find on the O2 site was the "My Choice 500" (250 minutes 250 texts + 350mb Data) at €40 a month + €359 for the phone = 599.

How did you get the 1GB data?

Looks like o2 are now charging €419 for the S3 on a 6 month €40/month contract!

So will work out at €659 now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭platinums

mollser wrote: »

I get teh same messages after installing Omega 7, it was to be expected as Omega is a custom ROM, but you should not be getting it if its and O2 official ROM?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

J o e wrote: »
    A friend of mine got the S3 from Three. I got it with eMobile. He's had problems trying to play GTAIII on it, it keeps crashing on him. It works fine with me, never crashes. He's also found the home screen takes a couple of seconds to load sometimes.

Could this be down to Three bloatware on the device?

I haven't got a hands-on look through his yet, may try replacing the firmware with an unbranded version later this evening if it is.

^ Any advice on this? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

J o e wrote: »
    ^ Any advice on this? ;)
    Does he have a lot of stuff running in the background and apps installed? Open task manager and close everything first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Yeah he's tried that. Also tried playing after a fresh restart, no joy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Recently updated my S3 using Odin and everything was working perfectly but only in the last week anytime I lose 3g coverage and am put on Three's 2g/Edge network it fails to switch back to 3g coverage when I return to an area where 3g is strong and available. It is strange as it was switching me between both networks for a good few days after I upgraded.

This happening to anyone else or anyone know a solution for this?

Recently updated my S3 using Odin and everything was working perfectly but only in the last week anytime I lose 3g coverage and am put on Three's 2g/Edge network it fails to switch back to 3g coverage when I return to an area where 3g is strong and available. It is strange as it was switching me between both networks for a good few days after I upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

s_carnage wrote: »

This is a known issue with the 3 network, they don't have a 2G network, you are moving from the 3 network to Vodafone for 2G and don't move back automatically
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056669102

PogMoThoin wrote: »

This is a known issue with the 3 network, they don't have a 2G network, you are moving from the 3 network to Vodafone for 2G and don't move back automatically
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056669102

Ya knew about switching to the Vodafone when out of 3g but it's only in the last week it's stopped switching back to the 3 network automatically. Serious pain having to manually switch back to 3g.

Yep my last few updates via Odin have left my phone in the same shape. Love the fact I can update but hate the after affects I'm left with when it stops jumping back to 3G cells.

Holding on to my Three firmware a little bit longer I think.

Only think it will be sorted out after the Three-Voda cell merge is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

god's toy wrote: »
    Holding on to my Three firmware a little bit longer I think.

Only think it will be sorted out after the Three-Voda cell merge is sorted.

It's not a 'cell merge'' it's a sharing of physical network. Radio spectrum will still be seperate.

• Advertisement

to me it's the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eh, no. They're just sharing masts. They will each have their own backhaul, network and equipment

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eh, no. They're just sharing masts. They will each have their own backhaul, network and equipment

And as I said to me that's the same thing.
    You can call it what you want and that's your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Lads would an s2 battery work in a s3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Bit of a newbie to smartphones but what can the new galaxy do that the iPhone 4s can't ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

god's toy wrote: »
    And as I said to me that's the same thing.
    You can call it what you want and that's your choice.

It still isn't going to solve the fundamental problem of the phone not transitioning smoothly between the two networks. It may mean better infilling of 3G so the phone doesn't need to rely on 2G as much. Won't be an overnight change though, will take months if not years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Kensington wrote: »
    It still isn't going to solve the fundamental problem of the phone not transitioning smoothly between the two networks. It may mean better infilling of 3G so the phone doesn't need to rely on 2G as much. Won't be an overnight change though, will take months if not years.

This is probably the only potential benefit to 3 (or Vodafone) customers.

The shared infra-structure should mean that it is substantially cheaper for both operators to expand their services.

So , in theory all those areas where Three users are pushed over to a 2G Vodafone mast - Three can now fairly cheaply add their own 3G aerial to that mast rather then having to source,licence,install and run their own mast.

Doesn't mean that they will and it certainly won't happen over-night...But it's possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bit of a newbie to smartphones but what can the new galaxy do that the iPhone 4s can't ?

Cheers

the main differential is the screen size and a different more open and customisable software (android v IOS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Faster processor, expandable memory, bigger battery, lighter weight, not apple.

Kensington wrote: »

Every little helps I suppose. We will have to wait and see.

Would one of those NFC chips work with this problem? With my particular situation it is always when I go to the far side of my work building it switches from 3g. So if I had a NFC tag at my desk to transfer the network back to 3g it might be quicker than having to do it manually.

Could this be done as I'm not too sure what exactly these NFC tags can be programmed to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

yes its possible, check this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher&hl=en

it will show what you can do with the NFC tags

I have them all over the house, car and work. Handy and good to have :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

does anybody know how to turn the volume up for incoming text messages, i have my notifications volume up full and i have picked a nitification sound but when i get a message in comes in sliently

does anybody know how to turn the volume up for incoming text messages, i have my notifications volume up full and i have picked a nitification sound but when i get a message in comes in sliently

Did you set the sound from within the text settings? If not just open your text and hlt menu and then settings. From there your scrolling down and setting your sounds. Think the default is silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

For some reason notification ringtones for one of my contacts is that ridiculous whistling. But when I go into contacts and that persons profile, under ringtones it says default. But the default is a different sound.

Anyone know how to fix this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For some reason notification ringtones for one of my contacts is that ridiculous whistling. But when I go into contacts and that persons profile, under ringtones it says default. But the default is a different sound.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Is the contact part of a group and does the group have a ringtone setting? If not maybe try setting it to something else then back to default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I seem to have an odd problem with mine. Even if I have the contacts number, and their number is unblocked no matter who is calling it just shows up on my phone as "unknown". Has anyone else had this problem or figured out a way to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

I can't get my s3 to vibrate for incoming calls and texts. I have the settings on and for it to vibrate but it still isn't happening. It works at other times just not calls or texts. Anyone know how to fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I can't get my s3 to vibrate for incoming calls and texts. I have the settings on and for it to vibrate but it still isn't happening. It works at other times just not calls or texts. Anyone know how to fix this?

This happened mine aswell. Had to do a factory reset to get it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I still can't get any volume on my incoming texts, I've done as a previous poster suggested, think I might have to do a factory reset, if I do a reset what will this mean for my phone, ie will I lose my apps

coach22 wrote: »
    This happened mine aswell. Had to do a factory reset to get it to work.

Will my phone not be unlocked if I do a factory reset?

Will my phone not be unlocked if I do a factory reset?

no

akamossie wrote: »
    no

So it will just be all the apps and music and stuff that will be lost? It will still be available to any network?

So it will just be all the apps and music and stuff that will be lost? It will still be available to any network?

factory reset, is restore the phone to default settings like bought in day 1.

so if phone is locked to a network it will be still locked and if its unlocked then its unlocked :)

all apps installed will be removed.

all Music will be there as they are saved in the memory phone.

• Advertisement

factory reset, is restore the phone to default settings like bought in day 1.

so if phone is locked to a network it will be still locked and if its unlocked then its unlocked :)

all apps installed will be removed.

all Music will be there as they are saved in the memory phone.

Okay thanks, had the phone unlocked after I bought it so I might just leave it for now.

Okay thanks, had the phone unlocked after I bought it so I might just leave it for now.

this is not going to effect anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Picked up the S3 Flip Case and 32GB MicroSD from amazon.

Both are working a treat. The flip case is exactly what I wanted - a cover to protect the screen in my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 alleyjoe

Cool ya .Android is best in apps . When it would be launch? Any idea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I got one a couple of years ago specifically designed for the model I had. It looked great. Then I changed my phone :mad:

So I got one something like this.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UNIVERSAL-CAR-MOUNT-WINDSCREEN-SUCTION-PHONE-HOLDER-S-/230472107008?pt=UK_Holders_Mounts&hash=item35a9354400#ht_2390wt_1185

I've changed my phone twice since and I don't have to think about the mounting kit for the car. It can be adjusted wider or narrower and once the phones in it, it's pretty secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

Picked up the S3 Flip Case and 32GB MicroSD from amazon.

Both are working a treat. The flip case is exactly what I wanted - a cover to protect the screen in my pocket.

i got a case and screen protector for 1.85 pound on ebay lol. working grand, was surprrised and am happy out. though the phone is big enough anwyasy without the case. in retrtospect i think a gel case with a screen protector is best option now.
    wow spelling errors there ^^

got the same sd card though. working grand. was running outta internal space when i tried doing a backup of my rom, so figured id get one. mate got a 64Gb one but i think its a bit extreme :P
    he has a few movies etc on it though, i guess its handy for that. especially if you get the mhl cable which he also did, and i will be shortly when i can find one for ~10 euro.
    would love to hook up gta and an xbox controller to my tv and play away off the phone haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yep, the flip cover ain't cheap.
    But I got a few cheap covers for my S2 and wasn't happy with them in the end. I got a better quality one for about 12 euro.
    Didn't bother messing around like that with the S3, plus this cover adds only about a mm to the overall thickness of the phone. It seems to be the only cover that had the integrated back cover too. Spare back cover anyone? :D

There was no way I was putting a screen protector on this bad boy.
    kenyard wrote: »
    i got a case and screen protector for 1.85 pound on ebay lol. working grand, was surprrised and am happy out. though the phone is big enough anwyasy without the case. in retrtospect i think a gel case with a screen protector is best option now.
    wow spelling errors there ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I got one a couple of years ago specifically designed for the model I had. It looked great. Then I changed my phone :mad:

So I got one something like this.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UNIVERSAL-CAR-MOUNT-WINDSCREEN-SUCTION-PHONE-HOLDER-S-/230472107008?pt=UK_Holders_Mounts&hash=item35a9354400#ht_2390wt_1185

I've changed my phone twice since and I don't have to think about the mounting kit for the car. It can be adjusted wider or narrower and once the phones in it, it's pretty secure.

I got a similar one to this in the O2 shop in blanch sc a couple of years ago. It was the "Kensington" brand, and it was about 30quid. Well worth it though. It has worked on 2 different cars and 3 different phones at this stage and still going strong.

this is not going to effect anything!!

I bought it second hand from a lad who unlocked it for me though and not sure what way he done it. Would it not reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I bought it second hand from a lad who unlocked it for me though and not sure what way he done it. Would it not reset?

No, a factory reset had absolutely nothing to do with a network lock!

• Advertisement
Advertisement