Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I simply dont think, that samsung, almost 16 months since they unveiled the S2 wouldnt have at least, a HD Super AMOLED Plus, and a quad core chip in this, not with the pressure they knew they were under, given the success of the S1 and S2, not the mention the Note and Galaxy Nexus. After the hype, the spec's i'm expecting in this are;

Quad core 1.2GHz+ chip
    4.6/4.7" Super AMOLED Plus
    12MP camera, at least as good as that on the Iphone 4S or ONE X
    Slimmer than the S2
    One big mutha****ka of a battery(>2000mAh)

A very nice design also an obvious one there as well obviously. As soon as phones like the LG 4X and HTC One X showed up in February, it was pretty obvious the S3 would have to have the specs mentioned above to live up to the hype around this phone. I hope samsung remembered that android users are not iphone users(i.e, sheep) and will switch allegiance between manufacturers pretty easily.

Dual boot between vanilla and TouchWiz would also be a serious plus, and would please everyone. A microSD card slot would also please users greatly(Let that in for another generation anyway..), as well as some sort of cloud storage solution from samsung (Rumours about this already, 'S-cloud', apparently)

Lets hope this isn't Samsungs 'Sensation'. They can avoid that by not launching a sh!t load of phones and then not marketing them particularly well. The importance of a clearly defined range can't be overstated. Having a few phones in the mid range is fine but keep the top of the end range small and well marketed.

I reckon HTC have got it fairly right this year, the ONE X, S and V all look very nice IMHO, and the ball is now very clearly in samsungs court. My prediction would be for just one phone (The S3) to be launched in early May, with a refreshed S2 coming within a couple of months as well, to sit underneath the S3

coldfire1x wrote: »

Still seems a bit dodge to me, as if its just some preliminary listing or something. Like, when i let Chrome translate the description, it reads;

11.9 (4.7 inches) Super AMOLED touchscreen with 16 million colors
    12-megapixel camera with autofocus, LED flash and face detection
    Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system
    16 GB of internal memory, expandable up to 32GB
    Delivery: Phone, battery, charger, data cable, headset, manual (Note: exact scope of delivery are not known)

'16 GB of internal memory, expandable up to 32GB' This doesn't really make sense IMO. Presumably, it would be expandable by microSD, but if its only expandable to 32GB, it would only be able to take 16Gb microSD cards, which is rubbish considering the S2 can take 64GB microSD cards..

'

A teaser will be unveiled tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Interesting.......it could be anything:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Interesting.......it could be anything:confused:

It's SOMETHING!

I'm lubing up my F5 in preperation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

A teaser will be unveiled tomorrow.

Very strange URL!
    Any idea what it means? :D

It's an anagram of The Next Galaxy.

It's an anagram of The Next Galaxy.

You're right :D

If I wasn't so hungover, I might have spotted that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

From the html description meta tag:
    Discover how Samsung is about to challenge the way you view the GALAXY once more.

Strange!
    They are hardly going to reveal the phone 10 days out from the launch event are they?

double post, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Strange!
    They are hardly going to reveal the phone 10 days out from the launch event are they?

'tis a teaser, i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Strange!

Probably not but I'd imagine they might have seen the demand for the HTC phones and might have decided the need to take action. Who knows?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

wernstrom! wrote: »
    'tis a teaser, i'd imagine.

Yeah probably something similar to the Nexus teaser they did

• Advertisement

Well theres no harm in 'drip-feeding' a bit of info now is there! Even just letting us know there will be a quad core chip or an edge to edge screen design would hye the device up and make anyone considering a ONE X rethink their decision..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think I read in the comments section of The Verge or Engaget that Samsung do this every time they release a new phone.

Might be some cheesy video or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I have to hand it to Samsung. I always Thought they were **** at making phones and then they produce they galaxy series and make it the most anticipated phone out there.

I don't think they are too worried about what HTC are doing unless the s3 is an absolute clanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

That preview site must be getting hammered with traffic, its very slow at the moment :D

That t-gel site is getting hammered already!
    Cant connect to it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Is it sad that I have butterflies in my stomach?

3...2...1...................This web page is not available :(

Page is still reloading, must have tons of people waiting to see what happens.

Bah, I'm in work and youtube is blocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Counter has gone back to 10 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Lame, not a single image of the phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

LOL @ iSheep! Brilliant! Anything that has a direct jibe at Apple Fanboys gets a big thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Abit of a let down to be honest:(

• Advertisement

boc121 wrote: »
    Counter has gone back to 10 mins

went back to 33 mins for me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Can someone post the Youtube link [without embedding it]. YT blocked in work [by me :(] so will be viewing on phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can anyone get onto that www.thenextgalaxy.com site?

Skerries wrote: »
    can anyone get onto that www.thenextgalaxy.com site?

I'm trying for the last few mins, looks like it's being hammered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Nothing much there really, not even a pic of the phone, disappointing!!!

Sheep one is good though :)

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Nothing much there really, not even a pic of the phone, disappointing!!!

Sheep one is good though :)

I think they're just pulling the wool over our eyes! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Wait, did I miss the first teaser?

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Wait, did I miss the first teaser?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdNMO-zm1ls

........ unless the s3 is an absolute clanger.

I think there's too much riding on it for that too happen. The One X upped the Ante a bit...kind of hoping for something that ups it again, rather than just matching HTC.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If it only did match it, which would you guys go for?

I'm only used to HTC's but I do like the Samsung's too from what I have seen/used. I know some people think they feel flimsy but I never thought that, the S2 feels a lot nicer and lighter than the fairly heavy and clunky Sensation. Personally I like Sense but I have not used Touchwizz enough to really know it, and people talk about pure Android without Sense - again I have not used it - I just guess I'd miss some of what Sense does of integrating things together....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

at this stage iv waited for somthing major so kinda have to go with this. didnt realise the apple 4s had such a decentr processor for once.
    only thing im hoping for major improvement in the galaxy 3 is the camera. wanted the nokia 808 pureview, because having an awesome camera wud be handy... but its windows 7 or smybian so a no for me.
    s3 is being fairly hyped anyway.. im guessing its gonna be a triple core processor atm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I fail to see why the ridiculous hype on the Samsung phones, ANY of them. AMOLED is rubbish. My brother has an S2 and its started to burn out images onto the screen, and he only has it just over 6 months. Samsung need to move away from their own technology imo. S3 is going to feature the same damn tech.

Reviewers always look beyond this huge frailty as they don't review phones for a long period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Zascar wrote: »

I'm only used to HTC's but I do like the Samsung's too from what I have seen/used. I know some people think they feel flimsy but I never thought that, the S2 feels a lot nicer and lighter than the fairly heavy and clunky Sensation. Personally I like Sense but I have not used Touchwizz enough to really know it, and people talk about pure Android without Sense - again I have not used it - I just guess I'd miss some of what Sense does of integrating things together....

Assuming >= i'd take the samsung. Pretty much only because i have one of the samsung smart tv's and i can stream tv to my S2 which is nice while i haven't a tv in the toilet.

When it comes to froyo/gingerbread a sense rom wins hands down, it adds a lot of polish that stock is missing. With ICS its much closer, i'm running vanilla ICS on my S2 and love it.

FWIW i was set to replace my desire with an evo 3d (most likely) when i won my S2 so i am a HTC fan

• Advertisement

I fail to see why the ridiculous hype on the Samsung phones, ANY of them. AMOLED is rubbish. My brother has an S2 and its started to burn out images onto the screen, and he only has it just over 6 months. Samsung need to move away from their own technology imo. S3 is going to feature the same damn tech.

Reviewers always look beyond this huge frailty as they don't review phones for a long period of time.

I use my s2 in the car as a satnav/google maps display every time I drive and Im rocking the phone from day one release and ive not seen any burn in/out of the display.
    Granted I don't have a new one to test it next too but to me anyway it looks as good as it always has.

Is burn in/out an issue with Samoled screens? Have any pics of this happening?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

god's toy wrote: »
    I use my s2 in the car as a satnav/google maps display every time I drive and Im rocking the phone from day one release and ive not seen any burn in/out of the display.
    Granted I don't have a new one to test it next too but to me anyway it looks as good as it always has.

Is burn in/out an issue with Samoled screens? Have any pics of this happening?

It's an issue with all the AMOLEDS and SAMOLEDS. I don't have any pics of my brothers phone at hand but I have seen it and its very annoying. There's a large amount of other people reporting it too.

lines41.jpg

Now given its not very noticeable with multi-coloured pictures/apps/web pages, but on one solid colour its very noticeable. The burn out is very apparent on the top bar too. My brother is not impressed and neither am I. Thankfully he's a multi-platform app developer so he has other phones to use and assess if it gets too serious :P I'll get him to post up some pics when he's free.

It's an issue with all the AMOLEDS and SAMOLEDS. I don't have any pics of my brothers phone at hand but I have seen it and its very annoying. There's a large amount of other people reporting it too.

Interesting. thanks for pic.

Wonder if this is covered under the phones warranty? The GS2 is only with us a year and its two years cover in EU...

Zascar wrote: »

Neither.

I just haven't quite seen enough from the One-X to make me want to ditch my DHD.

But if i HAD to....... it probably would be the One X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

considering that its based on amoled technology i cant see how it is causing burn in :S
    even the above pic isnt terrible burn in (maybe pic is unclear) but yeah obviously annoying i guess...
    i generally dont have constantly the same thing on so cant see it being an issue.. maybe if you have a screensaver on or something which just has a constant pic it might do it.. menu buttons are the only thing that i can see on a phone possibly causing serious burn in...
    and any modern plasmas iv seen have no issues with it, or very very minor... samoled tech has prob gone the same direction...

• Advertisement
Advertisement