Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Im getting rightly sick of this phone at the moment, first the mainboard fails and apparently lots of them are after 5 months now it apparently seems the usb connector is dodgey and the vibrating i the phone connecting and disconnecting from the charger.... Im going to push for a totally new handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've had mine for months and literally had no problems with it.

Sure the battery life could be better, but I use it quite heavily at work and it lasts from 7am to about 11.30pm. So its not so bad.

I'm more annoyed o2 haven't pushed out the 4.1.2 update yet, I wouldn't mind so much but I do work for them and they haven't given us an update yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've had mine for months and literally had no problems with it.

Sure the battery life could be better, but I use it quite heavily at work and it lasts from 7am to about 11.30pm. So its not so bad.

I'm more annoyed o2 haven't pushed out the 4.1.2 update yet, I wouldn't mind so much but I do work for them and they haven't given us an update yet.

Just end the pain and go flash a generic or the latest available version. You don't lose any personal data anyway.

Just end the pain and go flash a generic or the latest available version. You don't lose any personal data anyway.

I'm tempted, but with luck something would happen the phone and my warranty will be void.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm tempted, but with luck something would happen the phone and my warranty will be void.

As far as I'm aware all you would be doing is changing the ROM region. Which shouldn't affect the warranty. You would be flashing official Samsung software.

So I don't see any reason why your warranty should be void. Now if you decided to root it, its a whole different story. Sammy could see your running unapproved software and decide to not to honor the warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

SuperNexus 2.0 is out, going to flash later

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076672

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Sounds nice and minimal, I'm very interested! Gonna have to double check what way the SD card's set up first, it says there's a known issue with exFAT formatted cards.

Sounds nice and minimal, I'm very interested! Gonna have to double check what way the SD card's set up first, it says there's a known issue with exFAT formatted cards.

Id be all over it, but no video out support stopping me. Super Nexus beside that is a great stable ROM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

So I'm watching sky on the xbox when I go into the gallery app on my phone. Suddenly all pictures and videos are displayed on the tv....

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    So I'm watching sky on the xbox when I go into the gallery app on my phone. Suddenly all pictures and videos are displayed on the tv....

WTF?

allcastshare?
    guessing u have a nice samsung tv. wud like one alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

As far as I'm aware all you would be doing is changing the ROM region. Which shouldn't affect the warranty. You would be flashing official Samsung software.

So I don't see any reason why your warranty should be void. Now if you decided to root it, its a whole different story. Sammy could see your running unapproved software and decide to not to honor the warranty.

nah flashing anything increases the binary count i believe. so it would increase it making the warranty void unless u use triangle away.
    saying that im with o2 and have 4.1.2 for the past 2 months caus i flash everything. although my contract is finished now so i moved to three prepay.
    not had any of the roaming issues peoples reported also which is good, though their mobile network isnt as consistent as o2 i find in that the phone keeps going on G or 3G mode and being slow as hell for like 10 mins before going back to H+ where i get infinitely faster speeds.
    ofc thats the phone, not the network. still to find a fix for it to force the phone to stay in H+ mode

kenyard wrote: »

allcastshare?
    guessing u have a nice samsung tv. wud like one alright.
    Jvc non smart tv 2 years old.
    Don't even have blue tooth on. Pretty impressive. The future.

kenyard wrote: »
    nah flashing anything increases the binary count i believe. so it would increase it making the warranty void unless u use triangle away.
    saying that im with o2 and have 4.1.2 for the past 2 months caus i flash everything. although my contract is finished now so i moved to three prepay.
    not had any of the roaming issues peoples reported also which is good, though their mobile network isnt as consistent as o2 i find in that the phone keeps going on G or 3G mode and being slow as hell for like 10 mins before going back to H+ where i get infinitely faster speeds.
    ofc thats the phone, not the network. still to find a fix for it to force the phone to stay in H+ mode

If your flashing official Samsung Firmware it does not increase the flash counter. The flash counter is only for custom firmware, you don't have to be rooted to flash an official ROM.

I just tried it there for theory sake. Triangle still isn't there and flash counter remained at the same number.

I used to get that a lot in Dublin, I just fixed by setting it to 3G only mode. I don't allow it to fall down to GSM network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

My guess its the xbox and your phone is set up for sharing.

there are a few apps that allow this imediashare is one according to the interweb.

have you any sharing programs open in your phone or settings?

quick enough for a ninja edit??

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1946006
    Surprised no one has talked about this at all. Anyway, happened to be watching Netflix on my XBOX last night, and while doing so, was checking out some pictures on my phone. Saw a button I never seen before that kind of looked like a little computer screen with 3 lines kind of going through it. I guess it said something like "view on another player". This apparently being the first time I was using my S3 and XBOX at the same time. So I press the button, and it stops my movie, and shows my picture on my TV!

more in the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

PogMoThoin wrote: »

flashed directly from build5 of 4.2.1, no issues to report.

i did have a prob with the gapps not downloading properly to my pc and it wouldn't load in CWM but I quick download via the phone and it worked fine.

4.2.1 on the gs3. reading the comments it'll take a day or so for the battery to settle down.

Q - NFC on supernexus...does it work? I had probs with build5 on 4.1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

This also happened me. I was watching a movie on the xbox and I took a picture on the phone and went to share it on viber but the viber icon was replaced by an icon I didn't recognise. I pressed it and the picture just suddenly appeared on the screen. When the xbox was off the icon disappeared from the share option. I have a few media share apps I downloaded including that I media one but couldn't figure out which one it was. I tried it the next day with my son's xbox but it didn't work on that for some reason.

I must mess around with it again and figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

DarkBlonde wrote: »

This also happened me. I was watching a movie on the xbox and I took a picture on the phone and went to share it on viber but the viber icon was replaced by an icon I didn't recognise. I pressed it and the picture just suddenly appeared on the screen. When the xbox was off the icon disappeared from the share option. I have a few media share apps I downloaded including that I media one but couldn't figure out which one it was. I tried it the next day with my son's xbox but it didn't work on that for some reason.

I must mess around with it again and figure it out.
    Pretty sure it's xbox smart glass. I've used it to stream video to the xbox.

The button only shows up in the regular Samsung video player and gallery, not in third party ones, and then only if you've recently been in smart glass. (I.e. It needs to be running in the background I think.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭big_show

Yep exFAT isn't recognised under vanilla android, I had the same problem. I copied everything off the sd card onto my laptop and reformatted to fat32 and then copied everything back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

fionny wrote: »
    Im getting rightly sick of this phone at the moment, first the mainboard fails and apparently lots of them are after 5 months now it apparently seems the usb connector is dodgey and the vibrating i the phone connecting and disconnecting from the charger.... Im going to push for a totally new handset.

Looks like a fix to the motherboard issue is on the way!

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_admits_to_galaxy_s_iii_sudden_death_issue_fix_is_on_the_way-news-5278.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

kaimera wrote: »
    Q - NFC on supernexus...does it work? I had probs with build5 on 4.1.2

Working fine for me on 4.1.2. I've not flashed yet, I think I'll wait for build 2 for some of the niggly bugs to be ironed out.

thomasj wrote: »

does anyone know if these updates will be able to be applied to custom roms?

or will i have to revert to stock or just wait for the AOKP release to have the update included?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

danniemcq wrote: »
    does anyone know if these updates will be able to be applied to custom roms?

or will i have to revert to stock or just wait for the AOKP release to have the update included?

crdroid will have it in tonights update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

thomasj wrote: »

So a software update will prevent the sudden death thing ? I am absolute n00b but I presumed it was a hardware problem. Would be delighted if there was an easy fix though.
    crdroid will have it in tonights update

Where can we get this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

already had the mobo replaced for a separate issue (audio not working with calls) a few months back. fingers crossed she's all good from future fails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So a software update will prevent the sudden death thing ? I am absolute n00b but I presumed it was a hardware problem. Would be delighted if there was an easy fix though.

Where can we get this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1944481

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it's xbox smart glass. I've used it to stream video to the xbox.

The button only shows up in the regular Samsung video player and gallery, not in third party ones, and then only if you've recently been in smart glass. (I.e. It needs to be running in the background I think.)
    Yeah it's definitely done through the xbox.
    Snazzy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

How do i add words in to the dictionary for predictive txt on android version 4.1.2

Marco85 wrote: »
    How do i add words in to the dictionary for predictive txt on android version 4.1.2
    What keyboard you using?
    I find SwiftKey the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

What keyboard you using?
    I find SwiftKey the best.

Samsung stock keyboard. Its changed now since the android upgrade and wont let you add in new words.

• Advertisement

I think the function most people find with the video is called PlayTo and was introduced to Xbox vs the last update.

Previously you could only stream from a network drive. Laptop only or an app. No need for servers now. As long as you have dlna you can push the video to the Xbox straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

interesting bit of news from sammobile
    http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/03/galaxy-s-iiis-latest-software-update-fixes-exynos-security-exploit-sudden-death-issue-too/
    On 2nd January, Samsung pushed a software update (I9300XXELLA) to the Galaxy S III and we can confirm that the new software update fixes the infamous Exynos 4 vulnerability. The security flaw was in the kernel which made the device R/W by all users, apps and gave access to full Physical Memory. In short, this vulnerability gave root permissions to *any* app and there was no control over it but now with the new system update the security hole has been patched.

We believe that the new system update also fixes the sudden death issue as the new firmware ships with brand new bootloaders and this is the first time Samsung has updated the bootloaders of the device since it started shipping back in May 2012. But, we can’t confirm if sudden death issue has been resolved or not as Samsung is the only one who can confirm about the fix.

As regards to fix currently only available in uk but expect on the way
    For now the new software update is only available for the United kingdom (BTU) but we expect other countries to follow soon. We would urge Galaxy S III users to immediatly update their device to the latest firmware via Kies or OTA (Over-The-Air).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Interesting ... I got that update yesterday via Kies.

Even though the Android version still says 4.1.2, the update took noticeably longer than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I'm thinking of upgrading from a Samsung Galaxy S to the S3 and giving my OH the S as she has the Mini. If I upgrade do I need to switch everything or if I do a factory reset does it revert back to the original firmware?

Anyone see this before?

sam2016o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

I'm pretty new to all this. I got the phone as a present and it was unlocked and had a cyanogen 10 rom on it so its on 4.1.2. However there's no fm radio! Is this normal on this rom? If I reverted back to stock would I get it back or if I update to a new rom?

Radio is a deal breaker for me,

Fistycuffs wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to all this. I got the phone as a present and it was unlocked and had a cyanogen 10 rom on it so its on 4.1.2. However there's no fm radio! Is this normal on this rom? If I reverted back to stock would I get it back or if I update to a new rom?

Radio is a deal breaker for me,

I think CM just didnt bother with the radio. Well just because no one uses it. It should be there on stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

I think CM just didnt bother with the radio. Well just because no one uses it. It should be there on stock.

Thank you. I found an fm radio app I'm very happy with anyway so I'll keep the Rom. Its called Spirit Light. Cost 3.99 but better than using my data on radio apps long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Anyone see this before?

If you install the latest ELLA upgrade and subsequently root or install a custom Recovery/ROM, you'll get that red exclamation mark.

Twiki wrote: »
    Anyone see this before?

If you install the latest ELLA upgrade and subsequently root or install a custom Recovery/ROM, you'll get that red exclamation mark.

So I presume if I ever need to lose id need to flash back to ICS?

• Advertisement

So I presume if I ever need to lose id need to flash back to ICS?

If you flash to stock JB (incl stock recovery), you'll get rid of it. If it's then rooted, it needs to be TriangleAway'ed also.

Anyone know or use any budget oriented Bluetooth controllers with their phones? Cant really justify spending around 40 quid on a PS3 controller just for the phone. Would be quite good combo with MHL and a wireless controller on the TV sometimes :)

EDIT:

I was using an app called Unified Remote for a couple of days now. Had zero hiccups, everything from mouse to keyboard works perfect, its beyond that though, there's remote controls for media players and so on. Bought the full version and found out it even has more remotes and even more functions.

This this is a great buy and well worth $3.50 Price Tag. You can always try or use the free version. Handy when you want to control music or video from your PC when watching a movie or so without having to get up. It has a file explorer, task manager built in, works with Windows 8 too. It has support to be a BT controller, so might have to look into getting a USB BT Sender/Receiver

Here's a link to PS - > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Relmtech.RemotePaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hey lads, I just found out about Samsung dive, a free find my device service for Samsung users. You'll need to activate your Samsung account, but I just tried it out and it's great. You can remotely track, ring and wipe your phone. Highly recommend it!

Edit. I don't think thst could sound any more like a bot post if I tried. But seriously though, it is a great free service.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

Hey lads, I just found out about Samsung dive, a free find my device service for Samsung users. You'll need to activate your Samsung account, but I just tried it out and it's great. You can remotely track, ring and wipe your phone. Highly recommend it!

Edit. I don't think thst could sound any more like a bot post if I tried. But seriously though, it is a great free service.

Linkie?

[COLOR="Blue"]Linkie?[/COLOR]

Samsungdive.com

Been playing with it the last few weeks, and is very easy to use.
    Added bonus points because my girlfriend is constantly losing her phone around the house, so it's easy to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Doesn't seem to be an option to set it up on the phone if you've got a rom on it.

Are there any good alternatives?
    On ios there's a jb app that does all this offers and also emails your account a photo taken silently with the front facing camera if an incorrect password is entered more than once on the phone.It includes time and location details. Anything similar for android ?

Doesn't seem to be an option to set it up on the phone if you've got a rom on it.

Are there any good alternatives?
    On ios there's a jb app that does all this offers and also emails your account a photo taken silently with the front facing camera if an incorrect password is entered more than once on the phone.It includes time and location details. Anything similar for android ?

If its a TW based ROM all you have to so is sign in or sign up for a Samsung account. Then you can use Samsung Dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Anyone see this before? [red pixel picture from earlier post]

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.chris.blackspotdetect&hl=en

As for the above messages, try Cerberus. It's a root application, but it eats up SamsungDive and the other competitor apps. It is total piece of mind, and it is only €1.99 for a lifetime licence.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I've noticed something odd since I've gotten my s3. My earphones just aren't lasting, I think I've gone though 4 sets in the 6 months I've had the phone, normally I'd get at least a year out of them. It also coincidentally seems to be the left ear that is always breaking. Has anyone else had this or am I going crazy?

And another set have broken. This is starting to get a bit ridiculous, I can't understand how they keep breaking, and its always the same way. Thinking I might try and get it looked at if another set break soon.

Advertisement