Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Try a sim in it from a different network

I don't have another sim unfortunately so was wondering if there was another way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Knine wrote: »
    I don't have another sim unfortunately so was wondering if there was another way

Fair enough. I think another sim is the only way to do it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Knine wrote: »
    How do I tell if my S3 is unlocked?
    Try dialing the code *#7465625#

That spells pinlock. Mightnt work on jelly bean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KAGY wrote: »
    Try dialing the code *#7465625#

That spells pinlock. Mightnt work on jelly bean

Doesnt work on JB.

AFAIK the only way on JB is with a SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Are these expensive to unlock? Thinking of getting a second hand one off amazon for £210 but its locked to orange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Are these expensive to unlock? Thinking of getting a second hand one off amazon for £210 but its locked to orange

Free apparently
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=41194615

Would I have any difficulty in sending it back to Samsung(free repair) regarding the insane chip if I got it second hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

it might be ok.

few years back i had to get onto sony about phone that pretty much caught fire in my pocket.

I asked about warrenty and they got me to read out the serial number etc but didn't ask for names or if it was second hand. you might get asked where it was bought (city/town should do)

Ring them and tell them your situation and see if they ask for anything else. if not you should be sorted

Would I have any difficulty in sending it back to Samsung(free repair) regarding the insane chip if I got it second hand?

As the phone isnt two years old yet they may not ask but normally they look for proof of purchase date to verify a device is within the warranty period.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, I'll could be caught there so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

OK, I am sad to say, it looks like my S3 phone has the SDS bug....

It has reset itself on numerous occasions, for no discernable reason....checked with the eMMC check Brickbug App

Screenshot below:

Screenshot_2013-05-28-16-33-52.png

Also, the results of the Check Memory test here:

Screenshot_2013-05-28-16-47-28.png

The phone is rooted, and there is a little red Hyphen visible on re-boot....

I left it on the Stock ROM, and it is still on 4.1.2 Android....

I have Custom Recovery TWRP 2.5.0.0

I9300XXELLA baseband...

Version info below:

Screenshot_2013-05-28-16-59-55.png

I got this phone from my son, before Christmas....I think eMobile.

I can't do OTA Updates, due to "modified phone"...rooting??

So, if there is a SDS problem, what should I do to avert a dead phone?

Can I get back to unrooted, and can I get rid of the little red hyphen giveaway?

Who do eMobile use to repair or replace a S3 with this insane chip??

Any help appreciated, thanx!!

The custom recovery and rooting would both trigger the flash counter, causing that warning on boot and the modified status.

They may not care with the SDS, but they may, so safest bet is to factory reset, then use "triangle away" to clear the counter(Doesnt always work, but most of the time it does AFAIK).

Then return it to emobile for a repair(which will mean a mobo replacement).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Ah ok, I'll could be caught there so

The serial number from the phone will have the sale date of the phone. With the phone not out 2 years anyway you should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I bought one second hand and rang up and explained I was concerned as I had the dodgy chip and was afraid it might break on me.I said I'd got it as a gift and had no receipt. They were ademant there would be nothing they could do without proof of purchase. That said ,from reading here it seems phonemenders are to be fixing them sometimes without question so I'd try there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Any idea how much I should charge if I was to sell my year old one of these ? its in perfect condition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

What do people make of this phone in comparison to the S2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone know of a decent repair centre for galaxy s3's. mine has a speaker problem and has been rooted to unlock when it was originally bought but has long since been reverted back to stock. Unfortunately I brought it in to fonemenders looking for a warranty repair but they refused to do anything with it as it had at one stage had a custom rom and if course they blamed the fact that it was rooted for the problem, funny thing is one can temporarily fix it by tapping the back of the phone so indicating to me that its a hardware fault.

Anyway as I've no real options left I want to get someone to have a go at fixing it. I was going to try triangle away and send it back through another repair agent but I'm not sure whether fonemenders would have logged the original repair with Samsung.

Does anyone know if Samsung have a centre over here that could look at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

closeline wrote: »
    What do people make of this phone in comparison to the S2?
    imo, not worth the upgrade over the s2.

in hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

kaimera wrote: »
    imo, not worth the upgrade over the s2.

in hindsight.

Why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

There are some really annoyances for me with this phone.

I find the speaker volume ridiculously low (especially when watching youtube) and tends to buffer a lot (even on wifi)

Battery is shi*e :( and I have to charge so often... :(

Probably a 3 thing but when I switch between 3G and H, I lose the sound during a call and until the arrows up and down come back, I won't hear anything at the other end and I am fed up of it :mad:

• Advertisement

closeline wrote: »
    Why
    The build quality isn't as good imo.

The quad core power, great for benchmarks but in reality you prolly won't notice it as much as you think.

and the SDS - motherboard problem.

The s4 prolly is, just for the 1080p screen

Buuuump, anyone get the new FW OTA, servers still busy for me.

Been having problems with 3G "locking up" requiring a reboot for browsing to return to normal. Not idea.

ED E wrote: »
    Buuuump, anyone get the new FW OTA, servers still busy for me.

Been having problems with 3G "locking up" requiring a reboot for browsing to return to normal. Not idea.

I have that problem as well :(

Vahevala wrote: »
    I have that problem as well :(

What carrier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

With Vodafone myself checked was there any idea and there was. No problems installing it. Not much difference. Its still jb 4.1.2 but my battery length has improved slightly.

Pushed to me this morning. Gonna check if root will be maintained then install it.

anybody know what the mapservicesamsung is for? just looking in batt stats and its using nearly 15%

It's Bluetooth related, you can freeze it with TiBu if you don't use Bluetooth.

It's Bluetooth related, you can freeze it with TiBu if you don't use Bluetooth.

cant use TiBu yet phone isn't rooted yet. having issues with it lol

ED E wrote: »
    What carrier?

I am with 3

• Advertisement

Vahevala wrote: »
    I am with 3

Same. Hmmm, hope its a software bug and not shenanigans from three.

Updated.

Root maintained. <3 Chainfire, what a pro.

hf2iWXol.png3POtAKul.pngaBdTeO3l.png

Quadrant from 5657 to 5889.

Updated to xxxMG4 via Kies (OTA said my phone was modified - I assume it was the unsecured kernel + root)

Lost root after updating.

Whats new anyway? When is 4.2.2 coming?

kaimera wrote: »
    Updated to xxxMG4 via Kies (OTA said my phone was modified - I assume it was the unsecured kernel + root)

Lost root after updating.

Whats new anyway? When is 4.2.2 coming?

Afaik its not, wont be updated until 4.3 is ready.

You should have used TriangleAway to go into unrooted mode for the update and done it OTA, that would have preserved root.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Looking for a bit of advice regarding this phone.

Planning on buying it pay-as-you-go from Vodafone either via their own shop or through Carphone Warehouse. Both are offering it to me for €430 which is a lot cheaper than the rivals. Vodafone offer free calls, free texts, €20 credit, and 1GB data for the first month with a new phone. CW don't AFAIK

I was told in CW that you get 2 years's warranty with the phone - 1 year with CW, and the following year with Samsung themselves. I presume Vodafone match that.

Most internet usage will be on my home network or work's one.

Currently with O2 atm but I very rarely use much credit so I probably will only be using Vodafone's minimum top-up deal (seems to be a minimum of €10/20 p/m)

Looking for a bit of advice regarding this phone.

Planning on buying it pay-as-you-go from Vodafone either via their own shop or through Carphone Warehouse. Both are offering it to me for €430 which is a lot cheaper than the rivals. Vodafone offer free calls, free texts, €20 credit, and 1GB data for the first month with a new phone. CW don't AFAIK

I was told in CW that you get 2 years's warranty with the phone - 1 year with CW, and the following year with Samsung themselves. I presume Vodafone match that.

Most internet usage will be on my home network or work's one.

Currently with O2 atm but I very rarely use much credit so I probably will only be using Vodafone's minimum top-up deal (seems to be a minimum of €10/20 p/m)

But it from Amazon for €100 less.

But it from Amazon for €100 less.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the link. Who are TopT, though?

edit: oh TopT sell the Black version when you click it.

If I bought this I could stay with o2 I guess. I presume they'd give me a free micro-sim. Current sim is the old kind

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the link. Who are TopT, though?

I assume that's a third party seller? Buy direct from Amazon.

I assume that's a third party seller? Buy direct from Amazon.

Yes, know anything about Amazon's warranty. Is it like the phone shops? - 1 year with place you bought it? 1 year with manufacturer?

Is this one 4G ready? apologies if dumb question, just asking as Vodafone advertise their S3 as 4G ready. Is 4G even available yet in IRL?

• Advertisement

Yes, know anything about Amazon's warranty. Is it like the phone shops? - 1 year with place you bought it? 1 year with manufacturer?

Is this one 4G ready? apologies if dumb question, just asking as Vodafone advertise their S3 as 4G ready. Is 4G even available yet in IRL?

Yes you get 2 years warranty.

Ah I was unaware that the one Vodafone are selling is the 4g version, that's not a terrible price for it. They are two different phones (i9300 vs i9305), only difference being one can connect to 4g and other can't.

4g isn't availabe in Ireland yet (we are lagging behind our EU counterparts) but is due to be by the end of the year on some networks I think, not sure about Vodafone. It depends on how important 4G is to you.

I know very little about 4G tbh. What are the advantages?

Thanks again.

I know very little about 4G tbh. What are the advantages?

Thanks again.

Advantage: Faster internet speeds
    Disadvantages: Uses more battery, phone will be more expensive.

That's about it. It's up to you what's more important. You can probably force the phone to just use 3g if your battery is low, but I have no idea.

Advantage: Faster internet speeds
    Disadvantages: Uses more battery, phone will be more expensive.

That's about it. It's up to you what's more important. You can probably force the phone to just use 3g if your battery is low, but I have no idea.

Looks like there is some differences too:
    http://www.toptechblog.org/difference-between-i9300-i9305/

1gb v 2gb ram
    No Fm radio in i9305
    some people say the i9300 runs the dual core Snapdragon but that might be just in America and the info is old...

Looks like there is some differences too:
    http://www.toptechblog.org/difference-between-i9300-i9305/

1gb v 2gb ram
    No Fm radio in i9305
    some people say the i9300 runs the dual core Snapdragon but that might be just in America and the info is old...

Ah you are quite right, my apologies. And you are right, the European S3 has an Exynos processor.

Ah you are quite right, my apologies. And you are right, the European S3 has an Exynos processor.

Thanks for your help. Might go with the 4G version. Waiting for a response from Vodafone to confirm they stock the i9305.

Kinda wanted the FM radio :/

• Advertisement

If you can find a good deal with a lot of data use something like Tunein Radio, it will have all the usual Irish stations too.

Ah cool. Don't most buses and trains have wifi these days anyway. Can always stream that way.

Just bumping this thread again to ask about CASES for the S3. Anyone know where to get good quality ones?

Amazon list these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00830SBWI/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics
    but some seem pretty dodgy according to the 1-star reviews and the customer images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Just bumping this thread again to ask about CASES for the S3. Anyone know where to get good quality ones?

Amazon list these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00830SBWI/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics
    but some seem pretty dodgy according to the 1-star reviews and the customer images.

I was shopping round for a case like that last week. What I found was that the cover didn't close properly over the front of the phone, and it tended to pop open a little bit. The guy in the shop said it would settle down after a while, and that when its in your pocket it will stay closed. I wasn't happy with that.

So I got one of these, in a nice green colour:
    http://www.fonez.ie/samsung-galaxy-s3-leather-cover.html

The front closes nicely over the phone and its a very slim fit. It adds a few mm overall to the width of the phone, so if you're using a universal mount in your car you will be fine. If you have an S3 specific mount, it might not fit.

I was shopping round for a case like that last week. What I found was that the cover didn't close properly over the front of the phone, and it tended to pop open a little bit. The guy in the shop said it would settle down after a while, and that when its in your pocket it will stay closed. I wasn't happy with that.

So I got one of these, in a nice green colour:
    http://www.fonez.ie/samsung-galaxy-s3-leather-cover.html

The front closes nicely over the phone and its a very slim fit. It adds a few mm overall to the width of the phone, so if you're using a universal mount in your car you will be fine. If you have an S3 specific mount, it might not fit.

Nice. Do you have an image of your green cover? Kinda want something with a bit of colour myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement