Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm not sure what exactly i'm looking at in that pic. Is it the vertical lines all down the screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Linky
    Samsung Mobile, as part of what has certainly been an epic lead-up to a new flagship so far, released an official Unpacked 2012 companion app to Google's Play Store today, bringing some awesome functionality both to those lucky enough to attend the event and everyone else.

One of the most impressive features of the app is that it allows users to watch the event in real time. This means users can watch the unveiling of the "Next Galaxy" live no matter where they are. The app will also show the new product's details, an official press release, and give helpful venue and transportation maps, as well as a map of London.

The app also features an excruciating count-down timer in the corner, but those anxious for the event can check out the app's description of past Unpacked events in the meantime. If you haven't already, grab the app from the widget below and prepare to meet the next Galaxy…in about a week and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

god's toy wrote: »
    Interesting. thanks for pic.

Wonder if this is covered under the phones warranty? The GS2 is only with us a year and its two years cover in EU...

It happened to my GS2 about two weeks ago I dropped it off at an authorised repair center were it was fixed under waranty,I,ve been due an upgrade since december and have been waiting for the GS3 a mate of mine got the HTC one x so I'm going wait and see what specs the Samsung has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what exactly i'm looking at in that pic. Is it the vertical lines all down the screen?

Yeah no idea what is wrong with that pic either.
    Apart from the big elipse! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

How long did you leave that "ok" screen on to do that?
    Tried the same program and I've no such issues showing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

draffodx wrote: »
    From previous launches it doesn't look like there does be any significant drop in prices until the new device really starts to saturate the market so 4 - 6 months after it hits Ireland so if its announced on May 3rd, expect 2 months for Irish carriers to pick it up, then 4 - 6 months for prices of the SGSII to start falling.

I would tend to agree

(no thanks required) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Is it just me, or is that a lot of bezel for a phone with a 4.6 inch plus screen?

...and i'm not anti or pro any manufacturer particularly, but looking kinda plasticy again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Most sites seem fairly certain it's a dummy case, prototype case if you will. Keeping the real casing hidden until the reveal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Really hope so.
    I think that one is butt ugly.

Must be a fake, is that 2 home keys?

I'm inclined to take other people's word for it on the case TBH. I'm not aware enough to really be 100% sure what housing is real, or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/25/samsung-announces-1-4ghz-exynos-4-quad-as-basis-for-galaxy-s3/

Quad Core chip anyways, and 20% net energy gain over the chip in the S2..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/25/samsung-announces-1-4ghz-exynos-4-quad-as-basis-for-galaxy-s3/

Quad Core chip anyways, and 20% net energy gain over the chip in the S2..

Posted about that myself.

Makes me believe that the benchmarks are real, Or at least could be.

Samsung Galaxy SIII Benchmark shows up on AnTuTu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

In fairness, if this phone hadn't trounced everything else, it would have been a disappointment, considering the hype about it. Its almost better regarding the energy use though, this phone being much better than the ONE X in that regard would be great, and go a long way toward making it the top android for 2012, IMHO anyway.

So, that'd be two bases covered anyway, battery life and processor, now just needs the stunning hardware bit! :)

Zonda999 wrote: »
    In fairness, if this phone hadn't trounced everything else, it would have been a disappointment, considering the hype about it. Its almost better regarding the energy use though, this phone being much better than the ONE X in that regard would be great, and go a long way toward making it the top android for 2012, IMHO anyway.

So, that'd be two bases covered anyway, battery life and processor, now just needs the stunning hardware bit! :)

Totally agree.

I'm hoping for a stand out feature. The way I see it we can of course expect upgrades in most aspects like screen size, resolution and of course camera quality.

For me I'm hoping they add some sort of feature that makes this phone stand out other than just sheer power. While siri wasn't all that great, it was still the most talked about feature and really did and was the only thing to set the iPhone 4s apart from other devices.

I hate to give any iPhone feature as an idea, but what i really mean is that I'm hoping for something new and different. Think the galaxy note(current phone) the s-pen is fantastic and also sets the device apart and gives it a unique feature. I was read about a possible rumour of wireless charging. That would certainly be a feature would of course give it the advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 lucy2012

Now is in April, should come out now. ?Does anyone but it?Are you content with it?

lucy2012 wrote: »
    Now is in April, should come out now. ?Does anyone but it?Are you content with it?

You are VERY late to the party. It's being announced on May 3rd by Samsung in London.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thor wrote: »
    I was read about a possible rumour of wireless charging. That would certainly be a feature would of course give it the advantage.
    That would be fantastic. I'm sure it's an expensive addition, but even if the base is not included just having it as an option would be brilliant.

For me I'm hoping they add some sort of feature that makes this phone stand out other than just sheer power. While siri wasn't all that great, it was still the most talked about feature and really did and was the only thing to set the iPhone 4s apart from other devices.

It didn't really stand out, it was just as **** as the rest of them :pac:
    Google voice, htc car, vlingo, iris, the list goes on :)
    The only thing Siri seemed to do different was give smart arse answers if you asked a stupid question?

So back to the topic! Who has an S3 already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone think there will be an updated version of the Note this year which will incorporate the new features of the SIII, something like the Note II?

Anyone think there will be an updated version of the Note this year which will incorporate the new features of the SIII, something like the Note II?

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet is due to be released soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Looking for something a bit more solid than a third-party benchmark? We can do that. "Already in production the Exynos 4 Quad is scheduled to be adopted first into Samsung's next Galaxy smartphone that will officially be announced in May," the horse's mouth reveals. Samsung boasts that the new 32nm 1.4GHz quad-core processor flaunts twice the processing power over its predecessor, thanks to its High-K Metal Gate (HKMG) low-power technology. The net energy savings? About 20-percent. "The application processor is a crucial element in providing our customers with a PC-like experience on mobile devices," explains Hankil Yoon, Senior VP of Product Strategy Team at Samsung, "Samsung's next Galaxy device, which will be officially announced soon, offers uncompromised performance and ground breaking multitasking features, thanks to Exynos 4 Quad's powerful performance and efficient energy management technology." Sammy says it's shopping the new processor around to other handset manufacturers (like Meizu), noting that the Exynos 4 Quad is pin-to-pin compatible with the Exynos 4 Dual (the brains behind the Galaxy S II and Note), which gives designers the ability to update product designs with minimal costs. Check out Samsung's full press release after the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

While I know some people love it, I am not a big fan of the on screen buttons like the Nexus. I was always a big fan of the physical Samsung home button and its a pity they have removed it (if the leaks are to be believed).

Quad core chip etc is all well and good, but the decision on whether or not I end up buying it 100% comes down to the form factor. Something that is easy or relatively easy to operate in one hand and has higher grade materials than what was used in the S2 is vital imo. I don't even care if it is 20g or so heavier than the S2, but I doubt that will happen - Samsung are great at keeping things thin/light.

• Advertisement

Linky

Well, what do you know - another Galaxy S III leak! Only this time, it's directly from the source. You see, the Galaxy S III has made an appearing in Samsung's own program used to manage its mobile devices, called Kies.

This basically verifies two bits of information: the device name and model number. There have been rumors that Samsung may call it something different and make it more of an incremental upgrade to the S II, but unless there's a change of heart between now and the release, it looks like it's officially going to be called the GSIII.

Aside from that, it's clear the GT-I9300 is, in fact, the model number for the SIII. Again, there have been rumors that the I9300 is a different device altogether.

What this doesn't show us, however, is what the device looks like. While the images may be tiny, it's pretty obvious that the device in the GSIII's slot is the Galaxy Note - so it's clearly a placeholder. It's not that big of a deal though; we should have all the details we can eat about this device in a little over a week.

subway wrote: »
    It didn't really stand out, it was just as **** as the rest of them :pac:
    Google voice, htc car, vlingo, iris, the list goes on :)
    The only thing Siri seemed to do different was give smart arse answers if you asked a stupid question?

So back to the topic! Who has an S3 already?

I totally agree, It wasn't great and isn't great, but it was something different. It was instead of just the basic upgrade of hardware, they included a new feature that wasn't present before. Now I know they did soley because of the fact there wouldn't have been that much of a difference otherwise, but remember the iPhone 3G and then the iPhone 3GS, no difference except for speed.

Also, Siri is far more advance then any other voice control software imo, I still couldn't care that much to use it and I have used iris on Android, but again that was just a rip of siri, It's siri backwards after all. I believe the typical Irish accent is too difficult for them to conquer as of yet. at least not with any ease of use.

At the end of the day, I just hope there is something new, and not just a run of the mill hardware upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Have to disagree, in fact I don't think Siri comes close to apps like the Speak To It Assistant, Can Siri even open apps or hardware controls yet?
    Maybe its my Irish accent but mine never has any problems understanding me. (but like all of them without an internet connection they are next to useless.

Have to disagree, in fact I don't think Siri comes close to apps like the Speak To It Assistant, Can Siri even open apps or hardware controls yet?
    Maybe its my Irish accent but mine never has any problems understanding me. (but like all of them without an internet connection they are next to useless.

I mean it simply compared to other basic iPhone and Android apps, but at the end of the day the argument stems from is Android better than iPhone and there is no need for one of them.

I'm simply trying to make a point about a new feature being included that isn't just a hardware upgrade. While nearly all phones had voice control, none were on par with the implementation that Siri provided and it was only afterwards that other software started to do so. That really isn't just my opinion but considering the amount of Siri knockoffs that showed up, that must mean that it brought some functionality to the game otherwise the knockoffs would have been pointless.

Also, Siri would infact work on anything with an internet connection and a mic, because it uses the internet connection to avail of this functions as you said. So not an upgrade but a decent feature that was a selling point for some people. but let's try to get back on topic now, my example of Siri was just that an example and in no way did I mean to suggest it was a good one.

I do hope to see something not on any other device and new to the SGS3 and not even covered my rumours although it is extremely hard these days for rumours not to leak the big deals. The performance increase is a given and so is the bump in resolution of both the camera and screen. The ceramic casing will be an interesting one, but until we get one in are hands, we can't know if it will be a good thing or a bad thing, but also the fact it's ceramic may meant he wireless charging is either in or out, I'm not sure on that one. I did read that it was going to have full on wireless charging and it would be a no contact base wireless charging system, again it was a rumour and probably still a few years away.

I'm looking forward to the May 3rd event and really do hope to see something unexpected.

Samsung Galaxy S3 pictured in draft service manual?

specs don't match up.

www.theverge.com/2012/4/26/2977529/samsung-galaxy-s3-draft-manual-specs-sketches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Do you know what I'm waiting for? Samsung to upgrade the optics in their flagship handset to be the absolute best in the mobile field. I mean, it's not like they don't make actual cameras themselves which they could easily use to their advantage. I don't care for megapixels, so they could easily stick an 8 MP camera in the SIII and I'd be happy... so long as it provided better image clarity, contrast and detail.

Then again, Samsung are also known for their "let's make the thinnest phone ever", so some trade-offs will no doubt be made for form and appearance.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Do you know what I'm waiting for? Samsung to upgrade the optics in their flagship handset to be the absolute best in the mobile field. I mean, it's not like they don't make actual cameras themselves which they could easily use to their advantage. I don't care for megapixels, so they could easily stick an 8 MP camera in the SIII and I'd be happy... so long as it provided better image clarity, contrast and detail.

Then again, Samsung are also known for their "let's make the thinnest phone ever", so some trade-offs will no doubt be made for form and appearance.

I think the reason behind this is that they actually don't want to make the best camera. I mean if they were to put an amazing camera on a smartphone they would risk removing the business from there camera departments. Leaving the camera on the Smartphones decent but not ground breaking means the smartphone will still sell but not negatively affect there camera sales.

That being said, it would be nice to see a lends upgrade, just bumping the resolution on not the sheer camera quality would be a mistake, people will just have higher sized images and not gain more quality and that alone would have some impact. Now while people can just lower the resolution on the camera. It would be a pointless add-on cost in the end. So here is hoping for a least an upgrade lens.

VP Robert Yi let it slip at the tail end of its Q1 2012 earnings call today: it's the Galaxy S III.

"WE ARE ANTICIPATING VERY STRONG DEMAND OF GALAXY S III."

(info from theverge.Com

its funny to me that we only now gets its official name... Like why hide it!?

its funny to me that we only now gets its official name... Like why hide it!?

Anything that builds hype for a product is a good thing. It's a marketers dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thor wrote: »
    I totally agree, It wasn't great and isn't great, but it was something different.

SIRI was part of a software update, as in it came with iOS 5, not with the iPhone 4S, Samsung are releasing new hardware, not software. So it's unlikely you'll see something new like that from a software point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Another leaked Pic. Looks much better than any I've seen so far IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Majel should be around soon I wouldve thought.

Seems to match up with the service manual link posted earlier. Also styling looks very similar to the Nexus which makes me think this is the real deal

See what i said previously in 'That looks like a lot of bezel for a four and a half inch screen'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If that's the final design, it certainly doesn't look as if it will be winning any style competitions...

That said, it may look better in white.

• Advertisement

I don't like it. 6 days to know.

wernstrom! wrote: »
    See what i said previously in 'That looks like a lot of bezel for a four and a half inch screen'.

Doesn't seem excessive to me, seems just about right in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Genuinely surprises me that when the Galaxy Nexus has definitively proven that buttons are not needed on an ICS phone that HTC and Samsung have decided to use them in their 2012 flasgship handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Inquitus wrote: »
    Genuinely surprises me that when the Galaxy Nexus has definitively proven that buttons are not needed on an ICS phone that HTC and Samsung have decided to use them in their 2012 flasgship handsets.

I agree, if it turns out that it does have hardware buttons I'll be well put off it to be honest, there's no need for them at all, remove them and make better use of the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I beginning to think ill just hold onto my GS2 a while longer... switch to a sim only plan and save :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

That phone looks awful. Looks like a bigger version of an old Samsung phone that was out a few years back.

s_carnage wrote: »
    That phone looks awful. Looks like a bigger version of an old Samsung phone that was out a few years back.
    Yup. the SGE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

draffodx wrote: »
    I agree, if it turns out that it does have hardware buttons I'll be well put off it to be honest, there's no need for them at all, remove them and make better use of the space.

No buttons on the HTC One X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    No buttons on the HTC One X

Em yes there are

htc-one-x-press.jpeg

Them things at the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Em yes there are

Them things at the bottom

galaxy-nexus404v_large_extra_large.jpeg

Erm ya mean the EXACT same 3 buttons on the bottom of the Galaxy Nexus!!!

Advertisement