Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

OMFGJUSTONEDAYTOGOICANTWAITIMSOEXCITEDEVENTHOUGHIMLOCKEDINTOACONTRACTFORANOTHER18MONTHS!!!!1!!!1!!!!!!!1!!!!2!!!!!!ELEVENTY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

RangeR wrote: »
    OMFGJUSTONEDAYTOGOICANTWAITIMSOEXCITEDEVENTHOUGHIMLOCKEDINTOACONTRACTFORANOTHER18MONTHS!!!!1!!!1!!!!!!!1!!!!2!!!!!!ELEVENTY

nice........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Hehe. It's unbearable at this stage

I'm no where near as excited as I was last year to be honest, I guess thats because id had the Desire for nearly 18 months at that stage. The GS2 is still a great phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

fionny wrote: »
    I'm no where near as excited as I was last year to be honest, I guess thats because id had the Desire for nearly 18 months at that stage. The GS2 is still a great phone.

Same here, I thought I'd be jumping at the chance to change my SGS II to an SGS III but the more the rumour mill churns out seemingly creditable information and images the less interested I seem to become.

It's a shame to see it have a physical button and it looks like Samsung have failed to really push the design forward in my opinion.

Still want physical home buttons myself but ya the specs that are leaking are kinda meh... Im thinking ill just change to a SIM only plan and save the cash on my monthly bill unless the GS3 is something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

subway wrote: »
    Meh... Thurs better deliver something better than that :(
    People are setting themselves up for disappointment. They've massively over-hyped the phone and now people are expecting the phone to be something unique or phenomenal. If the leaks are anything to go by, it's just an S2 refresh with a bit more power.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment. They've massively over-hyped the phone and now people are expecting the phone to be something unique or phenomenal. If the leaks are anything to go by, it's just an S2 refresh with a bit more power.

To an extent, maybe.

The S2 is a marvelous phone. The S1 was a marvelous phone. I'm sure the S3 will be a similar step.
    • NFC should be an absolute
    • Screen size may increase the the S2 is pretty much the perfect size for a phone. Any bigger [Read Note] and you are getting into terotiries where it's hard to be portable. Might as well go Tab.
    • **Rumour** Wireless charging would be fuppin marvelous
    • The phone isn't going to get much slimmer
    • The camera isn't going to get better quality, maybe more mega pixies
    • PLEASE include either a HDMI cable or dock [They're not that expensive]
    • PLEASE keep external SD Card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I agree, I reckon the SGS2 will remain a top seller. Seems to be the sweet spot for smartphones in terms of weight, size, screen, battery, picture etc.

I was anticipating something special with the Galaxy Nexus and ended up being disappointed, unless all the leaks have been part of an elaborate deception then the SGS3 looks like it is going to be an upgraded version of the Nexus.

• Advertisement

To an extent, maybe.

The S2 is a marvelous phone. The S1 was a marvelous phone. I'm sure the S3 will be a similar step.
    The S2 is a great phone. The S1 on the other hand was plagued with terrible software problems (I had two and they both had the same issues) and lacked some key features such as camera flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

subway wrote: »
    Meh... Thurs better deliver something better than that :(

Rumours has it there will be two devices announced the 9300 which many believe will be the galaxy s3 and the 9800. Make what you will of what the 9800 may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

thomasj wrote: »
    Rumours has it there will be two devices announced the 9300 which many believe will be the galaxy s3 and the 9800. Make what you will of what the 9800 may be.

The 9800/other device is supposed to be a tab is it not?

The S2 is a great phone. The S1 on the other hand was plagued with terrible software problems (I had two and they both had the same issues) and lacked some key features such as camera flash.

Not too interested in software on the phone as, for me, it will always be going Darky. I'm more interested in the hardware.

Software always has alternatives. Hardware you're stuck with.

draffodx wrote: »
    The 9800 is supposed to be a tab is it not?

Galaxy Tab 10.1 v2 and to an extent Galaxy Note 10.1 should officially be announced. Although I think they unofficially announced them a month or two ago anyway, if I remember roightly.

Not too interested in software on the phone as, for me, it will always be going Darky. I'm more interested in the hardware.

Software always has alternatives. Hardware you're stuck with.
    The S1s I've used still have the exact same problems even with custom ROMs. Random reboots during intensive tasks, lock ups when opening applications.

Worse yet, my dad's S1 actually exploded during use. Normal use, the phone locked up and then a whoosh of smoke and a smell of fried electronics came up from the phone and it was kaput.

The S2 is a great phone, the S1 not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Just spotted this on o2's website....

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/coming-soon/

Just spotted this on o2's website....

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/coming-soon/

The S Advance is NOT the SIII. It's an S refresh. This has already been released by some networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Well only a meer 10 hours to go, just been looking at what i can get for my second hand GS2 on ebay there they are selling at around 280euro which is sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Anyone here like myself waiting to see what Samsung unveil before deciding on it or the One X or are most people going to go for the S III regardless?

Hopefully I know by tonight which one I wanna get, think the Hero has had its day!

• Advertisement

Not a fan of HTC's looks so if the Sammy is a let down then I wont change phone at all until something better comes along.

flugel wrote: »
    Anyone here like myself waiting to see what Samsung unveil before deciding on it or the One X or are most people going to go for the S III regardless?

Hopefully I know by tonight which one I wanna get, think the Hero has had its day!

Yep here too. Am waiting to see what Samsung come out with before i jump in... Lol no sheep here!
    if not the GS3 then its the one X for me but having a GS1 (buggy as hell) and GS2 (kick asss!) I would like to take one more from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thats an easy conclusion to come to when the PR stuff for today's launch has those blue and white blobs of paint. If that is true, all of the leaks purporting to be the S3 have all been fake, not one of them has been blue or white..

And as for the people criticising the S1, yes, it was't held in as high regard as the S2, but it was probably still in the top 3 (If not the best) android phones of 2010, along with the HTC desire and desire HD. It was the S1 that showed Samsung that they could really compete with the iphone and co. They never expected it to do so well..

and yes, it is blighted with software issues. Just upgraded to CM9 at the weekend and it still just turns itself off sometimes. Other than that though, it is a great phone. Great battery life still(Was FAR superior to the desire and desire HD in that regard), nice design and(still i think( a fantastic screen

If it can't be called a great phone, it can still certainly be called a very very good phone..

Well only a meer 10 hours to go, just been looking at what i can get for my second hand GS2 on ebay there they are selling at around 280euro which is sweet :)

Thinking of going the envirfone route myself as you hand it over and its done, ok you get a little less for it but its gone with no disputes.

http://www.envirofone.ie/en-ie/search?search=Samsung+I9100+Galaxy+S+II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

god's toy wrote: »
    Thinking of going the envirfone route myself as you hand it over and its done, ok you get a little less for it but its gone with no disputes.

That's really not bad, I was considering selling mine discounted for a quick and easy sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Deal breaker here is potentially the screen. I'm not crazy about what i've seen of Super AMOLED... so unless the display is pretty impressive, of there's some other 'got to have' about it, i'll probably go for a one x.

Network availability is an issue too.

I refuse to sign an 18 month contract again. If it's not available with a 12 month contract: no sale.

I'm going a bit off topic, but saying this just in case.

Saying this just in case; Are envirofone reasonably quick to cough up?
    IIRC, there've been some comments on boards about them being erratic.

There's also money4urmobile. I've only sold them one phone, but found them quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Deal breaker here is potentially the screen. I'm not crazy about what i've seen of Super AMOLED... so unless the display is pretty impressive, of there's some other 'got to have' about it, i'll probably go for a one x.

Network availability is an issue too.

I refuse to sign an 18 month contract again. If it's not available with a 12 month contract: no sale.

I'm going a bit off topic, but saying this just in case.

Saying this just in case; Are envirofone reasonably quick to cough up?
    IIRC, there've been some comments on boards about them being erratic.

There's also money4urmobile. I've only sold them one phone, but found them quick.

I believe Super Amoled is pretty good in terms of quality. I does have a few issues, but to be honest nearly every type of screen does.

At the end of the day, they could do alot worse.

I would prefer a 12 month contact myself, but at the end of the day, networks what to keep for you as long as they can. Also they generally don't offer that good of a deal on 12 months and I think just buying the phone sim free would be a smarter way to go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

They may not advertise it online but they will give you a 12 month contract if you call and ask -usually just costs you a bit extra on the contract and the purchase price.

Zascar wrote: »
    They may not advertise it online but they will give you a 12 month contract if you call and ask -usually just costs you a bit extra on the contract and the purchase price.
    Yeah, i think thats the case with Meteor, they wont offer 12 month contracts online but they will in store..

Sim free is nearly always a better option except maybe when the model is brand new and sim free prices are ridiculous.. That was the case with the ONE X..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Review envirophones (or any other crowd) if you are going to use them. I used cash4phones before and had an awful experience. It was only after that I researched them and found many others had the same experience.

You will have to send the phone by registered post. I didn't and they claimed that it only arrived there seven weeks after postage. Seven weeks! And conveniently the price offered for the phone had dropped significantly in this period.
    They contacted me stating this and said that they would send the cheque out, 'please allow 5 days'. Six weeks later the cheque arrived.
    So it took almost 4 months and I received significantly less than I had originally agreed to.
    Others reviews are just as bad.

Just be careful!

(Actually if anybody has a mint S2 contact me)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Saw a screenshot from the Carphone Warehouse stock management system on Twitter, the S3 will be available in blue and white

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thor wrote: »
    I believe Super Amoled is pretty good in terms of quality. I does have a few issues, but to be honest nearly every type of screen does.

At the end of the day, they could do alot worse.

I would prefer a 12 month contact myself, but at the end of the day, networks what to keep for you as long as they can. Also they generally don't offer that good of a deal on 12 months and I think just buying the phone sim free would be a smarter way to go.

Samsung's screen technology is the only tech that gives you added features such as burn in and fade out. I know I keep bringing it up but its just puts me off so much. Now I'm not putting down the S2 at all, I think its a terrific quality phone, great build and specs. But moderate/heavy users should avoid it, especially if you're going to hold onto it for about a year.

It's a great screen but once you see some exposures on the screen you begin to wonder if Samsung is going the right way with their top range phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Saw a screenshot from the Carphone Warehouse stock management system on Twitter, the S3 will be available in blue and white

whose twitter?

*edit* found it myself, and it was UK CPW not ireland and has since been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

If it is it will be the same blue as the Galaxy Note. Which is so dark it is almost black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

thomasj wrote: »

WANT!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Zascar wrote: »

Will all networks offer you a 12 month contract if pushed?

eMobile, (so i assume available on Meteor too?) and IIRC, 02, openly advertise
    12 month contracts........but VF seem not to.

I was under the (false?) impression networks had been told by the EU to stop enforcing minimum 18 month contracts, but assumed at least some networks found a way of sidestepping it.

Thor wrote: »

Sim free isn't off the uhmmmm....cards. I've just found the colors on Amoled, Super Amoled to be TOO saturated at times.
    Perhaps it's time for a rethink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

So if this turns out to be a dud, is everyone getting the HTC One X?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Will all networks offer you a 12 month contract if pushed?

eMobile, (so i assume available on Meteor too?) and IIRC, 02, openly advertise
    12 month contracts........but VF seem not to.

I was under the (false?) impression networks had been told by the EU to stop enforcing minimum 18 month contracts, but assumed at least some networks found a way of sidestepping it.

Sim free isn't off the uhmmmm....cards. I've just found the colors on Amoled, Super Amoled to be TOO saturated at times.
    Perhaps it's time for a rethink.

AFAIK they have to allow a 12 month contract, but they don't need to sell/advertise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

The S3 preorder has been removed from expansys, i wonder are they preparing for a proper listing

Jeebus ya if I can get that straight up the im sold! Though i suspect that figure will drop like a rock once the next galaxy is out

Jeebus ya if I can get that straight up the im sold! Though i suspect that figure will drop like a rock once the next galaxy is out

Lol lock your price in tonight so! (if its a worth while update)

Chet T16 wrote: »
    The S3 preorder has been removed from expansys, i wonder are they preparing for a proper listing
    Was there a price listed there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Was there a price listed there?
    Nope, just a holding order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

3 hours to go before the launch. Let's hope it's what we're all expecting ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Count down timer on the Unpacked App says 4 hours.

Tis true, 19:00 GMT is winter time. In summer, we use GMT+1, so its on a 8 o clock tonight..

Lol lock your price in tonight so! (if its a worth while update)

Would they honour it if you waited a month to buy? Because I reckon it wont physically be available on the networks until June or even July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Would they honour it if you waited a month to buy? Because I reckon it wont physically be available on the networks until June or even July

Your quoted price is applicable for 7 days with envirofone.
    If they don't receive your phone, it just stays at a status of "awaiting receipt" on the website.
    If you sent it after a month, they might honour the original price quoted, but it's entirely up to them if they want to, once 7 days has passed!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Your quoted price is applicable for 7 days with envirofone.
    If they don't receive your phone, it just stays at a status of "awaiting receipt" on the website.
    If you sent it after a month, they might honour the original price quoted, but it's entirely up to them if they want to, once 7 days has passed!

So totally not worth the gamble.

I wonder what CPW are offering as trade in on the GS2 also, I know that they gave me 150euro for the desire last year which was higher then the going rate on ebay :)

Never mind they are only offering 175euro!

Its crap either way when you can get 270 for a little more work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement