Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

fionny wrote: »
    So totally not worth the gamble.

I wonder what CPW are offering as trade in on the GS2 also, I know that they gave me 150euro for the desire last year which was higher then the going rate on ebay :)

At the moment it's €175 trade-in with the S2 from CPW.
    It's not bad if you are using a bill pay upgrade as most phones wouldn't even cost that much, but if you are using a PAYG upgrade, you'd get more money for it elsewhere :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

If any of you have the unpacked app on your phone there is an update in the app store now. It changes the menu (you get a message to check back later) and the count down timer to an hour earlier.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17937312#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Even though I think it will be great, I'm just not prepared to wait another 6-8 weeks to get one, I might just get the One X. Still looking forward to the launch though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Zascar, when I click on your link, all I see is Bin Laden :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Zascar, when I click on your link, all I see is Bin Laden :pac:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17931797

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Weird, works for me, is the videos on bbc...

Guys when i try to install that Unpcked app, i just get a blank black screen, has anyone else has this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Zascar wrote: »
    Weird, works for me, is the videos on bbc...

Guys when i try to install that Unpcked app, i just get a blank black screen, has anyone else has this problem?

Nope working fine for me, Just updated it (second update of the day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Looks like it's at 7 o'clock, the Unpacked App has lost an hour somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Nope working fine for me, Just updated it (second update of the day)

What happens if you click on the teaser video? Mine locks up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Three Ireland, have as good as confirmed, that they will be selling the S3.

From 3 News:
    We'll be live tweeting the latest news from the Samsung #Unpacked2012 later this evening. Stay tuned for more on the next Galaxy! #S3 #Epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Would they honour it if you waited a month to buy? Because I reckon it wont physically be available on the networks until June or even July

Maybe not but Im sure you get a amount of time before they have to receive it.

Wife was just talking with Three and they said they wont have it till June.

so is that fb page up yet? Im getting an error.

https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobile/app_366547110058162

Edit: Live stream is up (looping video)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

So any predictions.

I'm predicting 2 phones tonight including the galaxy s3. Maybe an s2 plus phone?

My unpacked app is still not working at all. Am I missing out not having this or will I still be able to see the same thing on the web somewhere?
    Edit: looks like I'm not the only one having this problem: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsungmobile.unpacked2012_1&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zYW1zdW5nbW9iaWxlLnVucGFja2VkMjAxMl8xIl0.

god's toy wrote: »
    Wife was just talking with Three and they said they wont have it till June.

Id say that's about right, we usually get Samsung phones a month after the UK.

Id say the uk will have a near immediate release.

Off Topic but do three still brand their phones - I remember years ago when I was with three they had the three logo printed onto the phone - I hated it

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Id say that's about right, we usually get Samsung phones a month after the UK.

Id say the uk will have a near immediate release.

Off Topic but do three still brand their phones - I remember years ago when I was with three they had the three logo printed onto the phone - I hated it

My last two phones from them only had a three splash screen and that was nuked with firmware

ok guys its up and on air!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

None of the feeds working for me?! Mobile app is blank and facebook page isnt loading?

ok guys its up and on air!!

Link me to the awesome!

http://www.thenextgalaxy.com/

click live stream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Link me to the awesome!

Im watching it on

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=13477

dillo2k10 wrote: »

This one works, but jittery though.

• Advertisement

15FPS for everyone or just me?

15FPS for everyone or just me?

Same for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Is it still just the blue screen with people moving inthe background??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Same for me.

works fine for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/3/2996619/samsung-galaxy-s-iii
    Capping months of rumors and speculation, Samsung has announced its Galaxy S III smartphone at an event in London today. Major specs include a 4.8-inch Super AMOLED display at 720p resolution, 8-megapixel primary and 1.9-megapixel front-facing cameras with burst and best-shot modes (similar to the HTC One series), 16 or 32GB of storage (a 64GB version is coming later) with microSD expansion, Bluetooth 4.0 support, high-throughput 40MHz 802.11n Wi-Fi, NFC, and a relatively large 2,100mAh battery. Processor specs aren't mentioned, but it's widely understood that the global version of the device will be using the recently-announced Exynos 4 Quad quad-core system-on-chip — regional variants could be using alternatives, just as the Galaxy S II did.

The hardware seems incremental over the Galaxy Nexus released late last year, but Samsung's touting some fascinating software customizations — an emphasis on "natural interaction," it says — that'll debut in the S III. First off, Smart Stay uses the front-facing camera to monitor your eyes and maintain a "bright display for continued viewing pleasure." S Voice is a customized voice recognition system that allows the phone to recognize a variety of commands at any time — as an example, Samsung says you can simply say "snooze" to shut off your alarm when it goes off or "direct call" to dial someone that you're in the middle of texting. S Beam, meanwhile, is an enhanced version of the Android Beam system that launched in Android 4.0 and allows large files to be transferred between phones quickly — a 1GB file within 3 minutes, for instance. Something called "Pop up play" lets the user watch a video anywhere on the screen while continuing to use other apps, good for watching a video attachment without leaving your email.

Samsung is also enhancing its DLNA-based AllShare media sharing system with a few additional modes. AllShare Cast allows content on the phone to be immediately sent to a compatible display; AllShare Play lets you send media "regardless of the distance between devices," suggesting that it may route content through the internet to reach its destination. The most intriguing mode may be what Samsung is calling "Group Cast," which shares your phone's screen with other users on the same network and allows them to annotate and add comments — good for an ad-hoc presentation with coworkers, for instance.

There's no word on carriers or pricing, but Samsung says that Europeans can look for the Galaxy S III to launch at the end of May; other markets around the world will follow after that.

• Advertisement

Joshua Topolsky ‏ @joshuatopolsky
    Galaxy S III official! Before the event.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/3/2996619/samsung-galaxy-s-iii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

For all my cheap digs at Apple over the years, i am now doing the sort of thing i would probably have accused an Apple supporter of doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

0a1f1da0ef.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

"Designed for humans". Well that's usually a good start when designing a phone.

Well that's a "meh" looking phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

bah pentile display - think I'll stick with my combo s2 and 7.7tab.
    no improvement in camera.

overall let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

A bit underwhlemed... right now i'm more inclined to buy a one x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Might go for the htc now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

"Designed for humans". Well that's usually a good start when designing a phone.

Inspired by leaves..?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yep. HTC goofed up last gen with the Sensation but it looks like their offering is better this time around (The LTE/Snapdragon S4 version at least).

Also the embargo lift timing by Samsung was really stupid. Let's preempt our own livestream by letting blogs put posts up right before we start!

Well my One X is looking quite smug right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Epic fail, this round goes to HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

What an awful looking phone.

HTC one for me now

How is it a fail?

Looks like they focused more on gesture and voice control than design. They really don't know what people want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

What a bloody let down! Talk about an underwhelming design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Good lord... the material doesn't look as cheap as the old Galaxy series but the design and general aesthetic of the phone is just awful. The phone looked better with its dummy case.

• Advertisement

Underwhelming design? It has more "design" than a one-x. I don't know what people were expecting!

http://www.htc.com/managed-assets/www/smartphones/htc-one-x/marquee/marquee-fallback.png

Advertisement