Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible motherboard failure ?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hope this is the best place for this question.
    PC (3 1/2 years old) was fine last night when I shut it down; today - no go. PSU Ok, it comes on, goes through some stuff, last message I can see is checking NVRAM, a blue page flashes by too quickly to read, then I get a whole black page saying unfortunately Windows cannot start, blah blah. If there was a recent power failure, select Start Windows Normally, if I really changed any settings/hardware, select Use Last Known Good Configuration.
    But both those just take me in a loop going nowhere fast, as does trying to start in Safe Mode - in all cases I can see the Windows graphic as Windows starts loading, and then it fails, back to square one.
    I've cleared the CMOS, changed the battery on the motherboard (green light comes on on mb when I turn the PC on).
    No loose cables that I can see.
    I'll buy a new board if that's what I need - I've found one that takes DDR2 RAM and with an Intel 755 socket so that I could just replace the board only - but can I be sure that's what I need before I spend the money?
    System specs:
    Intel 2Core Quad Q6700
    NVidia GeForce 9500GT
    4GB RAM
    500G SATA-II drive
    XP Pro

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisement