Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper Maps (OS) - do you have them for your area?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Just off out and was checking exactly where I was going on an OS map (god forbid I had to stop and ask anyone the way) then I thought I wonder how many people actually have real paper maps of the area they live in and might be stuck in during a SHTF senario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Yeah, I've four, a road map for the country, an OS map of the west of Ireland, a general map of the country, and a tour guide. Never know when you might want to check out the local attractions after a hard days scavenging and fending off renegade units of the RDF.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yep, urban and country for the car and a selection of the roundabout terrain for the BOB. A compass and a h/h gps finish the pack ;)

If you're in the east of the country, I'd highly recommend http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

OS Country-wide road map (In vehicle), and discovery series for most of the areas I tend to travel between/to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I'd have the discovery maps for the local area (why do I always manage to live on the join between 2 maps?), OSi street maps for all the major towns (used to be on the road delievering stuff), several country wide road maps and the whole of the discovery series on CD for Ireland (not paper so no good SHFT). Also have quite a few tourist maps and old maps of Ireland I've picked up at car boot sales, second hand book shops etc, some are really handy as they give older information thats not on new maps like names and locations of country "estates" and old houses (my interest is in old walled gardens).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No paper maps here, but I do have detailed map of Ireland downloaded to my phone (for offline use).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a few;)

1:50,000 OS maps for much of Cork & Kerry and about half of Waterford. I even have quite a few doubles for the areas that I frequently go to.

Each vehicle has a Europe road atlas and my favorite for Ireland is waxed fold out map I bought in a service station in the middle of nowhere but is small any has a bit of terrain shown.

I will admit that electronic maps are my mainstay now, my Iphone has downloaded maps of every country I have visited either with work or pleasure. Its also my car sat nav and most of my geocaching is done on my iphone. I have a old Magellan handheld GPS which is much more accurate for back up. I do plan at least 3 hikes a year with only map and compass to keep the skills up but the recce is done on google maps:o

Finally I have a few silk maps that I carry in my jacket. These are country maps with main towns and very basic terrain details. This is a throw back from the military escape and evasion maps .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Did you know you can buy the OS 1:50k series maps unfolded directly from the OSI?
    Very handy for route planning, and just for leaving at home.
    When out on terrain I use the laminated versions.
    Often I will scan an A3 size section, reprint and laminate at home. Very handy for keeping in the outside of the bag that can be reached easily, and much more manageable than the full map. Of course for serious recce and navigation the full map is necessary to get a sight on distant target etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Khannie wrote: »
    No paper maps here, but I do have detailed map of Ireland downloaded to my phone (for offline use).

what if you dropped your phone in water?, what if you lost it?.... what if your phone malfunctioned?.... get a paper map as a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Always! Never know when your electronic black box is going to die for some reason!;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you're buying a map, make sure it's laminated. Paper maps are great, until you need them on a wet day.

I've got Discovery maps for all the areas around me and also the Harvey Superwalker map for Connemara. If they latter do a map for your area then buy it, it's much more detailed than Discovery but the scale is different and can take that bit extra time working out timing and distances.

Got plenty of unlaminated road maps.

Heve a few compasses and know how to use them :D Can navigate day or night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Have OS 1:50,000 discovery for kildare, dublin, wicklow and kerry. Have water proof, see through, foldable map covers for them that are very handy. I only use google maps on the iphone in dublin when im working and cant find somewhere because its quicker any other time i just use the maps. Would not rely on the gps

Advertisement