Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking

Options
  • 02-03-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads for my LCVP i need go on a weeks work experience. Luckily enough a got a spot in a local PC repairs shop. The manager asked me if i knew anything about networking. I said no. So he said he will get me started on some of that.
    So my question is do any boardsies have any links or sites that I may find useful to learn a bit about networking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1st/2nd year CS students use Data Communication and Networking by Fourzan. Its not light reading, but would give you a really good base knowledge of the concepts. I'm sure one could source it online :pac:

Dunno if you have much tech in the household but you could get an old router and some cat 5 and start messing with things. Try and work out what everything does.

Also, learn how to crimp cat 5/6 ethernet cables, even if dont have the tool to practice, watch how you do it on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Networking is the one thing a lot of people have trouble with, I've found. If I was to pick one area I'm not as well up on as everything else (asside from table manners) it would be networking. Have a look on Wiki for the basic definitions of stuff: Router, Ethernet, Internet, Intranet, VPN, Port forwarding, etc. You'll at least be able to follow along if/when someone starts spcheiling on and name-dropping a lot.

Advertisement