Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrated Graphics Card? Or something else?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I recently bought a new custom built computer that has;

Intel core 2 duo 2.13ghz.
    4 Gb Corsair DDR2 1066Mhz Ram 5-5-5-15
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 7
    68Mhz
    250Gb Hdd
    Asus P5LP-LE Motherboard
    500 watt PSU

It runs games (SC2 and LoL) really badly considering it has a graphics card, and when I checked dxdiag, the display tab does not list the Geforce. Instead it says I have some Intel Expresss Chipset... but I looked inside and the Geforce is there. Plus when I click on the little Nvidia icon on my taskbar to edit settings it says "You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU".

So my question is, does my computer have an integrated graphics card that it is using instead of the Geforce 8800? If so, any idea how I might go about getting the computer to recognise and use the graphics card?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Dannysaurus

Did you install/update the Nvidia drivers? If not, you could get them from the nvidia site. Google it :3

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Thanks for reply Dannysaurus. Yeah I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the graphics card but nothing changed. Any other ideas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Is your monitor plugged into the graphics card or the motherboard?

I think it may be plugged into the motherboard. Ill check and post results later, thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Pompous wrote: »
    I think it may be plugged into the motherboard. Ill check and post results later, thanks.

If its plugged into the motherboard you'll need to switch it to the GPU. You might need to change the display preference in the BIOS as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

deconduo wrote: »
    Is your monitor plugged into the graphics card or the motherboard?

Sounds like the problem that he has it plugged into the intel onboard gfx instead of the actual card

I think you guys are right, but I can't find out, because my monitor has a VGA connection and it looks like the connection for the video card is DVI.

Can I just get an adapter or do I have to get a new monitor that has a dvi connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Pompous wrote: »
    I think you guys are right, but I can't find out, because my monitor has a VGA connection and it looks like the connection for the video card is DVI.

Can I just get an adapter or do I have to get a new monitor that has a dvi connection?

You'll need one of these, you'll get one at Peats/Maplins if in a hurry, but cheaper online though.

I got a DVI monitor off my bro, so I will be able to hook it up later and test it out. Hopefully everything works.

YeS!!! I plugged the monitor with DVI connection into the tower and hey presto, the Geforce is working and my games are running smoother than I could have hoped for!

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement