Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

query re bus lane etiquette

• 02-03-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hi all,

Is it considered illegal to cross a continuous white line to leave a bus lane (which was not in operation at the time) onto a dual carriageway?

Thx
    Trix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nothing wrong with that if I understand you correctly. The continuous white line separating a bus lane, is not that same as a continuous white line that means you can't overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

hi all,

Is it considered illegal to cross a continuous white line to leave a bus lane (which was not in operation at the time) onto a dual carriageway?

Thx
    Trix

I was wondering the same thing, but I doubt it is legal.

However sometimes there is no other way, as bus lane goes somewhere else you want to drive, or f.e. there is a bus stop on the lane, and there is a bus parked there for 10 minutes.

Nothing wrong with that if I understand you correctly. The continuous white line separating a bus lane, is not that same as a continuous white line that means you can't overtake.

Why would it be different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Depends really. I know there is a section of road I use quite regularly where you come down off a slip road and have to merge with the buslane before merging again to outter lanes for the motorway.

There's a section a couple hundred yards where the bus lane solid line breaks and permits you to merge for the motorway.

However merging early, unless it was wreckless with heavy traffic already in the outer lanes, I can't see a member of AGS pulling you on it.

Merging INTO a bus lane I'd expect them to alright, but not out of one unless there was considerable reason to do so.

In saying that, on the legal side of things it probably still does fall into crossing a solid line offence if someone really wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If the bus lane is not in use the lane should be regarded as any other lane, ie yield before changing. Note also most bus lanes have a yield mark at the end (not that taxi drivers see it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Are you saying if you ended up in a bus lane by mistake or otherwise, you can't exit it because of the solid line?

Are you being serious or having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

This forum just keeps gettin dumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

CiniO wrote: »
    Why would it be different?

Cause it's a bus lane, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

ironclaw wrote: »
    Are you saying if you ended up in a bus lane by mistake or otherwise, you can't exit it because of the solid line?

Are you being serious or having a laugh?
    To be fair a bus lanes' line is massive compared to a normal line. Pretty hard to enter one by mistake IMO.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Cause it's a bus lane, maybe?

You are right, but that's not so obvious...

That's the definition of Continuous white line in the centre of roadway (the one separating two directions of traffic).
    Centre of Roadway .

11. (1) The following traffic signs may be provided along the centre of a roadway:—

(a) traffic sign number RRM 001—a continuous white line approximately 100 or 150 millimetres wide and extending not less than 20 metres along the centre of the roadway, or

(b) traffic sign number RRM 002 — a broken white line extending along the centre of the roadway and consisting of segments having the following dimensions and spacings:—

(i) segments approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide, 3 metres and spaced 3 metres apart, or

(ii) segments approximately 100 millimetres or 150 millimetres wide, 3 metres long and spaced 9 metres apart.

(2) Traffic sign number RRM 001 may be provided along a roadway other than at the centre of the roadway where it is appropriate in accordance with the layout of traffic lanes.

And here is description of continous white line which marks buslanes:
    Bus Lane.

27. (1) Traffic sign number RRM 024 shall, in association with traffic sign number RUS 028, RUS 029 or RUS 030, indicate a bus lane.

(2) The sign to which sub-article (1) refers shall consist of

(a) a continuous white line, or lines, 250 millimetres wide, save where one edge of the bus lane coincides with the centre line of a roadway between the bus lane and an adjoining traffic lane; and

(b) lettering consisting of the words "BUS LÁNA", the dimensions and design of which shall be as set out in the diagram contained in section 4 of the Seventh Schedule.

Both from here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0181.html

Below is the prohibition to cross the RRM 001
    Centre of Roadway Lines

25. (1) Where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided on a roadway or where two such traffic signs are provided in parallel, a driver shall not cross that sign or signs.

Source from here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a32

But there is nothing mention about prohibition to cross the continuous white line which indicated bus lane (RRM 024)
    Bus Lanes

32. (1) A bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 028 or traffic sign number RUS 029 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024, and a contra flow bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 030 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024.

(2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(3) A person shall not enter a contra flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.

(4) A person shall not enter a bus only street with a vehicle other than an omnibus except for the purpose of access.

(5) ( a ) Sub-articles (1) and (2) shall not apply to a vehicle crossing a with flow bus lane or a contra flow bus lane solely for the purpose—

(i) of entering or leaving premises or property adjacent to such a bus lane, or

(ii) of entering or leaving a road inset adjacent to such a bus lane in order to load or unload goods.

( b ) Sub-article (2) shall not apply to a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi which is being used in the course of business.

So generally speaking - yes - you are ok to cross the continuous white line which indicated bus lane, and you can join or exit this lane anytime, assuming you are allowed to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

Dont worry about it, just do it, if its safe.

If the bus lane is not in operation, then you are allowed to use it... and if you are allowed to use it then you are allowed to leave it.. and therefore you must cross that big white line!!

If this bus lane is in operation, and if you find yourself in it, i imagine under the laws of common sense the traffic police would want you to get out of it and cross that big white line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I don't see the problem with it. Hell I even do it on the bike

Advertisement