Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Proficiency

Options
  • 02-03-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking to get a .223, this would be my first rifle. Currently have contacted my local gun club who are helpful but I get the feeling not to interested. Only want to do some target and vermin shooting.
    Need land permission to apply for a license but they require or would like one to have already applied for a license and be in the Pulse system.
    The area I'm in I don't know any farmers that would give me permission. I could get permission from my GF's family who are in Galway and I'm in Kildare. Would that impact greatly on applying for a license?
    Also where around Kildare would you go about doing a firearms proficiency course? I have contacted the Nargc and they were helpful also. Will contact my local garda station and see what they say to me. Have been thinking about this for a while and as I'm currently in a house that I can safely say is my own I would like to own a Firearm and do something that I enjoyed when I was younger and get out and about.
    Thanks for any feedback and replies.

Regards,
    Bull76.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For target shooting you need to be a member of an authorised range. For vermin you do need land permissions. Having land in Galway, is fine. it should not matter where you shoot. It's down to where you live in relation to where you apply. So if you shooting Galway, Cork, etc you still apply to Kildare Gardai for your license.

As for preficiency courses. The NARGC do hold some, but so too do most every rifle range in the country. Find the nearest one to you, ask them when they hold a course and then attend. It's more about safe handling than your markmanship abilities.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Kildare is overran with foxes go knock on doors.
    Don't call them go into them and speak with FO and not the gard at the desk. The FO will tell u all u need to know. Wereabouts in kildare are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

if your going for your first rifle i'd say go .22 first, less margins for error, some supers don't like granting centrefire licences to first timers also. you'll learn alot with the .22 and get to shot it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi Folks,

Thanks again for the replies. I'm based in north Kildare, Kilcock/Maynooth area.
    I'll pop into the local garda station in Maynooth or Leixlip and se what the story is.

Regards,
    Bull76.

Bull76 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks again for the replies. I'm based in north Kildare, Kilcock/Maynooth area.
    I'll pop into the local garda station in Maynooth or Leixlip and se what the story is.

Regards,
    Bull76.
    Don't!!!!! LOL go to Lexilep and speak with Antoinette or Maria there the local FO in this region! Don't bother going to kilcock as there out doing security guarding the explosive factory and maynooth gards haven't a clue :D. Go to the the source bud or u will get the run around.

Maynooth gun club
    Kilcock& Newtown GC
    Rathcofey GC
    Sallins GC
    Kilcollun( think that's the name) GC

Are in your local area but for getting in with no firearm is not going to happen unless you have someone in it who will sponsor u in,LoL it's hard enough even with firearms and references. if your trying to get in tell them all your interested in is vermin control and you will do pheasant pens,feeding,rearing and all that malurky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

For what it's worth there's an NRA Basic Rifle Course running @ Hilltop tomorrow. I have no idea how full the course is, and I know you won't get them on the phone at this hour, but check their website or FaceBook page for an email address as that's your best chance of checking availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

They require someone already on PULSE?? That's wrong!! Don't know who told you that. You need suitable land permission. A letter from the land owner is good enough. A farm folio number on it is better. When I frist applied I had 2 permissions from farmers who never gave permission before. Not a bother.
    Also, no Guard at the desk will no anything about firearms. Not their fault, just not trained in it nor are they expected to know. The FO should know. Though some of them arent too hot either.

Most clubs now are having new members do the proficiency course before joining, it weeds out people who just join the club for the license. Don't think you will have a problem getting permissions were your living :D anyways! Drive the back roads to sallins/ clane and see how many sheep farmers are there ;)

Advertisement