Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holidays

• 02-03-2012 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

I think I'm just going to rent some cottage in Donegal for a week, go fishing, drink Captain Morgan, have long walks and chill. The next week I'm going to spend camping near Galway, barbecue and all that.
    I'm so fed up with sun, Canaries and all this "must do and see" hassle, tourists, expensive restaurants, etc.

So what are your plans? Have you got any at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Tokyo and Kyoto :) Looking really forward to seeing the Sanja Matsuri festival.

I agree with the "fed up of the sun" quote. Been to one sun destination, you've been to them all. However, it is nice to lay about in the sun once every now and then. Can't beat a nice beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Tokyo and Kyoto :) Looking really forward to seeing the Sanja Matsuri festival.

Ugh - SICKENED!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm of to a lovely spot called 'cloverhill' next week for a month.

Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Were going to Malta for a week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

A cycling holiday in Mayo
    London
    and don't know yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

Old Tom wrote: »
    I think I'm just going to rent some cottage in Donegal for a week, go fishing, drink Captain Morgan, have long walks and chill. The next week I'm going to spend camping near Galway, barbecue and all that.
    I'm so fed up with sun, Canaries and all this "must do and see" hassle, tourists, expensiverestaurants, etc.

Couldnt agree more , pure hassle , so im not gonna go near costa-bleedin-fortune , maybe Co.Kerry for a week , Great spot and excellent beaches , for body boarding etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

No holidays as I've 3 Weddings in Ireland to attend this summer. That'll cost more than any holiday I would have booked:/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I haven't got any holidays planned. Would like to go somewhere for a few days.just as an experience really rather than needing a break.

I'm not a sun holiday kinda person,somewhere where you can relax but have loads of options too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

Well I have no money so I'll probably stay at home and try to convince myself I'm doing my bit for the local tourism industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I find holiday flying stressful & would prefer not to fly anywhere. Hoping to entice my wife & 9yo to come on a shannon cruise. Did this about 20 years ago & it was great fun. Would love to do again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Going to the Aquadome in Tralee every day for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Alessandra wrote: »
    No holidays as I've 3 Weddings in Ireland to attend this summer. That'll cost more than any holiday I would have booked:/.

I'll see your 3 and raise you 7.

It's like a bloody bill everytime an invite comes through the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Couldnt agree more , pure hassle , so im not gonna go near costa-bleedin-fortune , maybe Co.Kerry for a week , Great spot and excellent beaches , for body boarding etc

Lol, you'll prob spend more in Kerry than Spain in a week. Hate to be the one to break it to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

A European city weekend break _ there are always deals for those. I haven't picked a destination yet as that'll depend on what's on offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Going to the Aquadome in Tralee every day for a month.

There's no way you'll survive that with your mind intact. Not even if you spend half of it hanging out on the pirate boat with a mock cutlass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'll see your 3 and raise you 7.

It's like a bloody bill everytime an invite comes through the door.

Wedding invitations should really be sent in brown envelopes :)

Cote d'azure again for us this year, mingling with the rich & famous in our penney's best :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Heading to Portugal with the family.

OP considering your plans; you'll welcome some sunshine the following year after the rain filled holiday you're planning. It will probably cost just as much

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Since i've seen that hotel that was bought in Donegal yesterday (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0301/breaking39.html?via=mr) I'd love to spend a week there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Poland-Euro 2012!

Festival in Belgium.

After that I dont know but either a week in the sun or visit a mate in New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I'm not one for extended holidays, especially sun holidays, and I'm pretty broke...so I'm having a short city break to London in May for the Burlesque festival, then over to Madrid for a week during the summer at some stage to stay with a friend who has just emigrated to there.

Other than that, just take a few long weekends and have day trips methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

2 weeks all inclusive in Madeira, 4 days in New York, 5 days in Ventimiglia, Italy and a week in the Haut Jura region of France for Christmas. Not a bad year lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

summerskin wrote: »
    2 weeks all inclusive in Madeira, 4 days in New York, 5 days in Ventimiglia, Italy and a week in the Haut Jura region of France for Christmas. Not a bad year lined up.

No recession here then

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

A weekend in Tralee, which me and Himself went on a few weeks ago. I'd love a bit of sun. Beautiful place though, and we're already planning our next trip somewhere else in the west, whenever we can make it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Dingle for a fortnight, bring it on!!Renting a house, stuffing in as much Murphy's Icecream as I can and as many swims in Wine strand as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Ghandee wrote: »

Can't wait!

What did you get caught doing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

sgb wrote: »
    No recession here then

Please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Mosney:mad:

It was cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Old Tom, that sounds brilliant :) Can I come along? :D

Was in the caribbean year before last .... nowhere but weekend breaks last year and probably the same again this year, but I am not overly bothered.

I loved camping as a kid... we used to pitch a tent in the backyard and sleep in it in sometimes in the summer, fun times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Old Tom wrote: »
    I'm so fed up with sun, Canaries and all this "must do and see" hassle, tourists, expensive restaurants, etc.

was in cambodia and ankor wat, ko samui, krabi and other places in thailand back in december so im done for a bit.

ibiza can f**k off, anyone who goes there is not getting a 'holiday', they are getting pisshed and laid.

which can be got like anywhere.

• Advertisement

Old Tom, that sounds brilliant :) Can I come along? :D

Was in the caribbean year before last .... nowhere but weekend breaks last year and probably the same again this year, but I am not overly bothered.

I loved camping as a kid... we used to pitch a tent in the backyard and sleep in it in sometimes in the summer, fun times!
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Going on a J1 to Boston.

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Going on a J1 to Boston.

Heard B7 is much more "Me Gusta" this year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Similar to yourself OP. I go out to a cottage in Roscommon that's owned by a relative for a week here and there. I run my dogs, a bit of fishing and maybe a barbeque if weather permits. It's only a half hour from where I live so practically no expense.

I've done the boozy Spain/Greece thing and ended up coming home more stressed out than I left. There's a lot to be said for chilling out in the countryside with no noise and plenty of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

seoul & jeju island for 2 weeks in the summer, cuba for xmas.

planned anyway, not booked yet

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

ibiza can f**k off, anyone who goes there is not getting a 'holiday', they are getting pisshed and laid.

Nope, it's actually a beautiful island. It's not all like Ibiza Uncovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

Foghladh wrote: »
    Well I have no money so I'll probably stay at home and try to convince myself I'm doing my bit for the local tourism industry.

then you need to visit your local pub at least once:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

sgb wrote: »
    summerskin wrote: »

No recession here then

Nope, just got a large bonus and hefty pay rise, never had it so good to be honest. The recession doesn't affect everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

just back from a week snowboarding in Austria, going to Portugal for 10 days in may. got flights, transfers and a villa with a pool for less than the cost of a b&b would cost here per night. And they tend to have this thing called "summer" which might be nice to see.

they have a recession too, so I'm off to help our neighbours. I'm good like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Venice for 3 days, then taking the train to Florence for 3 days . But not looking forward to the thoughts of getting around Venice with a baby in a buggy - all those canal bridges :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm jetting off to the Big Apple in 2 weeks :P

It's a tough life really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I haven't got any holidays planned. Would like to go somewhere for a few days.just as an experience really rather than needing a break.

I'm not a sun holiday kinda person,somewhere where you can relax but have loads of options too.

Drops hints at your fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

New York and San Francisco, can't wait, never been to the States, am stoked! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Ghandee wrote: »

Can't wait!

Nice one, i'm getting out next week, you can have my old cell.

*Posting this from my phone that was smuggled in. Don't tell the screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

chirogirl wrote: »
    Venice for 3 days, then taking the train to Florence for 3 days . But not looking forward to the thoughts of getting around Venice with a baby in a buggy - all those canal bridges :rolleyes:

Oh ouch, that's going to be a bit irritating, it's pretty much all steps around Venice! Beautiful city though, I absolutely loved it and had heard very mixed reviews of it, people saying that it smells really bad cos of the water- I didn't experience that at all and I was there when the weather was quite hot in July.

I've 4 weddings this summer, one abroad so that covers that. I will never be converted to thinking that weddings abroad are a good idea, no matter how brilliant they are. They're just way too expensive for the guests and I would never put my friends in that position where they feel they have to fork out a fortune for me or at the very least plan their holidays around my wedding. I know I don't have to go, but then I'd feel guilty and besides, I do want to be there- it's just no one should have to fork out 500 euro or more to be there for someone else's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Santiago de Compostella for a week in June (planned, if not yet booked)! Maybe a week in Italy also later on over the summer. And a mini-tour of golf which should get me to counties Kerry and Antrim to name but 2!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In only back from Ansterdam. Going to Valencia for the F1 in June, then hopefully heading away in July again. Will probably giro Berlin before the end of the year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Told the kids they could choose where we went this year. They chose a very quiet part of Kerry where my Dad grew up. We went there 2 years ago, and it was the best family holiday we ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Driving from san Diego to san Francisco, taking in Vegas and yosemite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Two trips down to Kerry for 2 weeks each, can't wait.
    Can't be arsed going abroad anymore, hate travel and hassle and I'm allegic to a lot of the insects in hotter climates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just back from a 3 month trip in SE Asia exploring Thailand, Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam. Gonna be realistic and stick around Ireland for the summer except maybe a 2 week trip to Marbella (I only need pay for flights) and wait until November 2012 to go travelling again... probably South America this time

• Advertisement
Advertisement