Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holidays

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

JohnCleary wrote: »
    probably South America this time
    This sounds great. I always wanted to see Machu Picchu and I hope I'm gonna do it some day. South America is absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

none really, have family in Spain so going to them next week for a few days, am brokedy broke all the time so cant afford anythnig else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Galway,fishing and drinking....everyone wins, me, her and the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Haven't a pot to piss in so hoping for a break in the clouds sometime in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Drops hints at your fella

That's what my post was for :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Drops hints at your fella

That's what my post was for :pac:

Well played! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Lanzarote in 10 days for a week with the family.

Driving to Poland in June with 3 lads for the Euro 2012's.

Maybe a small trip in Sept.

In the middle I will be travelling the country for competitions and surfing, thereby helping the local economy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I hate going on holiday :mad: rather just have a few days chilling at home with loads of money to do cool stuff I wouldn't normally budget for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A couple of friends and I have tentative plans in place to travel to Poland for the Euros. They want to fly out but I'm thinking of acquiring a camper and driving there, make it into a proper adventure.

The only potential drawback would be the long drive home if we're out on our ear after the group stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

McGaggs wrote: »
    Driving from san Diego to san Francisco, taking in Vegas and yosemite

Used to live in SF. You would be much better, if possible, driving down the coast from SF to San Diego, via Half Moon Bay, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst Castle and Santa Barbara. Stay the night in Santa Barbara and Carmel.

Don't miss The Grand Caynon. Set off am from Vegas, do The Hoover Dam tour (incredible), drive on to any seedy motel near the canyon, get up early am and gasp at the sheer beauty of what you see :eek:. Stay for sunset, drive back to Vegas that evening and marvel at the city lights in the distance as you drive thru the hills, blaring Queen's "Don't Stop me Know". Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Originally Posted by McGaggs viewpost.gif
    Driving from san Diego to san Francisco, taking in Vegas and yosemite

I am not the envious or the begrudging type, but I have decided not to like you.

I jest that sounds like a dream road trip, but you have to get in the Canyon, it truly is magnificent, and if you could spend the night there wait till you see the night sky it is breath taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

3 nights in Waterford courtesy of a cheap voucher from Heatons is my summer holiday this year.

1 wk July & 1 wk August in West Cork and Westport but not during The Olympics!

Have been looking on home exchange sites & thinking of swapping - just have to clean the skirting boards with a toothbrush first.

Do you think anyone in The Cote d'Azur with an infinity pool, would swap for a 4-bed-semi in Dublin??? Okay, okay, it's a 3-bed with an attic conversion :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Used to live in SF. You would be much better, if possible, driving down the coast from SF to San Diego, via Half Moon Bay, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst Castle and Santa Barbara. Stay the night in Santa Barbara and Carmel.

Don't miss The Grand Caynon. Set off am from Vegas, do The Hoover Dam tour (incredible), drive on to any seedy motel near the canyon, get up early am and gasp at the sheer beauty of what you see :eek:. Stay for sunset, drive back to Vegas that evening and marvel at the city lights in the distance as you drive thru the hills, blaring Queen's "Don't Stop me Know". Enjoy!

Bang on!

Last year I drove from Vegas to Kingman, AZ then R66 to Santa Monica, then PCH to San Fran and stayed in Santa Barbara and Monterey along the way. Great trip but driving the PCH there are SO many places to stop and it's much handier if you're going south as you can just pull off to the side of the road rather than cross so on more than a few occasions I didn't stop at some of the many, many beauty spots.

Did the sunrise helicopter tour over Grand Canyon and landed in a ranch for breakfast. :)

44leto wrote: »
    I am not the envious or the begrudging type, but I have decided not to like you.

I jest that sounds like a dream road trip, but you have to get in the Canyon, it truly is magnificent, and if you could spend the night there wait till you see the night sky it is breath taking.

+1. It is a dream road trip (not forgetting north of SF too if time/finances permit Point Reyes............oh, how I dream of this place).

Without a doubt, walking from a parked car towards the Canyon and seeing that sight was the most unexpected moment I have ever experienced (sightseeing wise)

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Bang on!

Last year I drove from Vegas to Kingman, AZ then R66 to Santa Monica, then PCH to San Fran and stayed in Santa Barbara and Monterey along the way. Great trip but driving the PCH there are SO many places to stop and it's much handier if you're going south as you can just pull off to the side of the road rather than cross so on more than a few occasions I didn't stop at some of the many, many beauty spots.

Did the sunrise helicopter tour over Grand Canyon and landed in a ranch for breakfast. :)

Am swooning over your description. So many happy holidays in California. It's 10/10 IMO. Went for a year and stayed 6. Love it.

Went over SF and Alcatraz in a helicopter, think you get the brownie points here thou. WOW!

How long was your trip?
    What time of year?
    Besides The Grand Canyon, favourite place/day of your hol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Bang on!

did this too with the lads when we went to vegas, the cowboy of the ranch sang galway girl. very surreal to be in the desert in the middle of the morning and he cracks into that!

For anyone going to the canyon try go to the south rim-the best bit. stayed in log cabins inside the boundaries of the national park almost 9 years ago now with my folks. got up for sunrise-breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I've been away from Ireland since August so I'll be holidaying at home in Galway in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

A villa in Portugal for a week with my wife and daughter. Looking forward to it a lot. Haven't been on a foreign trip in a while that didn't involve work.

Holidayed in Clare last year, got some great weather and had a good time.

Going to go with the last year Ireland, this year abroad, next year Ireland thing for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Poland and Ukraine for all of the Euro's is looking likely, followed by 2 weeks in the Spanish sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've been away from Ireland since August so I'll be holidaying at home in Galway in April.

That's not how deportation works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That's not how deportation works

So long as I stay away from any primary schools I should be alright. According to my solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Was in Australia for 5 weeks just there.

Going to India or China in may/june for 3-4 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I haven't been on any kind of holiday in 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

We've done Belfast, West Cork and Kerry the past few years, but a friend is really constrained by the quality of bed he can sleep in, so we're not going to do any holiday homes this year. We'll probably head to his parents house in Tipp when they're away for a week, where he knows the bed he had as a child is good enough for him. Then we'll spend a few days in the country side, walks with his parents dogs in the daytime, boardgames and booze at night, barbeques in the evening, fries in the morning.

There's also a plan for either a long weekend in London, hitting the museums and galleries by day, a show or two at night along with good beer and food. Or maybe a beer tour to Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gavinwavin

Living in BC in Canada at the moment. Big group of around 20 of us are driving down the coast to Coachella festival in April. Leaving here on the 15th and spending a night each in Seattle, Portland, San Fran and maybe somewhere else along the way. Then the festival and then Vegas for a couple of nights. Can't wait for it!

Then hopefully Shambhala music festival in August.

Then home to Ireland in September for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm in Canada, East Coast b'y.

Gonna head to Ontario/ Quebec region on holidays next month, then travel round the East Coast August, possible camping trip to the West Coast in between.

It's a tough life.

I haven't been on any kind of holiday in 5 years.

Why?

Day trips??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Buceph wrote: »
    We've done Belfast, West Cork and Kerry the past few years, but a friend is really constrained by the quality of bed he can sleep in, so we're not going to do any holiday homes this year.
    WTF????:confused:
    Going to France in April, then in the summer I plan to spend a good bit of time working in Germany

Buceph wrote: »
    We've done Belfast, West Cork and Kerry the past few years, but a friend is really constrained by the quality of bed he can sleep in, so we're not going to do any holiday homes this year. We'll probably head to his parents house in Tipp when they're away for a week, where he knows the bed he had as a child is good enough for him. Then we'll spend a few days in the country side, walks with his parents dogs in the daytime, boardgames and booze at night, barbeques in the evening, fries in the morning.

There's also a plan for either a long weekend in London, hitting the museums and galleries by day, a show or two at night along with good beer and food. Or maybe a beer tour to Belgium.

I'm with The WTF Brigade :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Am swooning over your description. So many happy holidays in California. It's 10/10 IMO. Went for a year and stayed 6. Love it.

Went over SF and Alcatraz in a helicopter, think you get the brownie points here thou. WOW!

How long was your trip?
    What time of year?
    Besides The Grand Canyon, favourite place/day of your hol?

Went late Oct into November for 2 weeks in total. Santa Barabara was my favourite. I went to Alcatraz also. San Fran is a pretty cool place too! :cool:
    df1985 wrote: »
    did this too with the lads when we went to vegas, the cowboy of the ranch sang galway girl. very surreal to be in the desert in the middle of the morning and he cracks into that!

For anyone going to the canyon try go to the south rim-the best bit. stayed in log cabins inside the boundaries of the national park almost 9 years ago now with my folks. got up for sunrise-breathtaking.

Legend that chap!

Sang that for us too. We were sitting down having breakfast and he comes over with the guitar and asks where we're all from (3 couples from IRL, UK, US) and makes up a song on the spot! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was in italy last week. I have 3 months off college but I have a part time job so I'll do something for a week or two I suppose.

Advertisement