Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old sea dog black rum any good?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

hi guys i devoliped a taste for really dark rum on ice (havana club 7year) recently but can only find old sea dog jamican rum in my local offies and shops. i have not tried this before and want to know is it rubbish or nice?
    i cannot seem to find any online revews anywhere

if it is not up to scratch then a trip to the celtic whisky shop or drinkstore is called for if so can anyone recomend anything to look out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

I love rum and usually drink straight, but couldn't handle Old Sea Dog without any Coke. With Coke, on the other hand, tastes delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I woke up in a car park after drinking it, Still to this day I don't know how I ended up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

It's pretty strong stuff. Nice though. Try get yourself a bottle of kraken rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

charlemont wrote: »
    I woke up in a car park after drinking it, Still to this day I don't know how I ended up there.

not sure if thats a good or bad thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I think it's awful stuff, I picked up a bottle last week instead of my usual bottle of spiced or dark rum and was gutted I wasted my money on it.
    I'm no rum expert but i don't think you can compare it to Havana club 7.
    Just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

i wouldn't class havana 7 as a dark rum, sea dog is black so a lot more full on. black rums can be very good but not in that price range imo.

they stock the 7 in tesco and supervalue most of the time if your local offie doesn't want to get it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ugh, horrible stuff.

Krakem is nice tho. I prefer golden/spiced rums, so maybe not the best person to ask!

Also when you add it to coke it turns into pure tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

thanks guys i cannot hear any really good opinions on it so i think ill give it a miss and just hold out till i get to the city center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I love my Rum..

OK here are my Top broken into their Groups

BLACK:
    Bacardi Black
    Bacardi Anejo is one of the nicest Bacardi i have every tasted
    Captain Morgran Dark Rum is nice
    Lambs Navy Rum not thats Some Strong Rum(put hairs on your chest!)

Legendario is nice cant get it here got it on hols 2 years ago really nice Cuban rum

Four Bell (NOT FOUR BELLS RUM) you could only get it in ships cant get it any more by GOD i could remember that drink! my dad used to swear by it old Navy drink rule once the Bottle was opened you didnt leave the table till it was gone about 6 of them would call over ever time the Uncle came home from Sea..

Gold Rum:

Bacardi 8 Year old.
    Captain Morgan Gold Rum is for Fake Rum Drinkers dont like it
    Bacardi 151 brothers sends me bottles of that stuff once in a while from Canada.. this stuff would kill you..

Mount Gay Rum one of the nicest Gold Rums out their

White Rum all i can say Bacardi is far the nicest white rums out their

if you making Mojo's your meant to make them with White Rum,, Start making them with Gold Rum Bacardi 8 year old is the nicest Mojo i have tasted.. i tried it with Mount Gay Rum it wasn't as nice as the 8 year old mojo..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Sea dog has a distinctive taste, it is heavy on the molasses and does not taste anything like a golden or spiced rum. It's wonderful for cooking with , nothing like it for making rum balls but it is an acquired drinking taste. I was the first rum I drank a long time ago but I still like it every now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

charlemont wrote: »
    Shipwrecked?

That Havana club is nice with crushed ice

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Sea Dog in my opinion is the second nicest rum out there,Second only to O.V.D. rum.

The darker the rum the nicer in my opinion.

Captain Morgans spiced rum is disgusting in my opinion. I think its for girls and kids that just start off drinking.

(Apologies but no offense is intended to any ladies out there i meant as in its a girls drink)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Goslings Black Seal Rum is a lovely drop & available in Drinkstore.

504.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Pogmothone wrote: »
    Sea Dog in my opinion is the second nicest rum out there,Second only to O.V.D. rum.

The darker the rum the nicer in my opinion.

Captain Morgans spiced rum is disgusting in my opinion. I think its for girls and kids that just start off drinking.

(Apologies but no offense is intended to any ladies out there i meant as in its a girls drink)

Tbh i dont think men drink Captain Morgans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Zombie thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement