Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle safe

Options
  • 02-03-2012 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Sorry lads posted in wrong section.i bought a new Cz 452 silhouette .22 with Bsa scope in Angling and Shooting in Lucan,very helpful man there and seem to know a lot when it comes to guns,ammo etc.Anyway question is do I need to buy a safe before I get licence(applied last week),don't want to buy until I'm granted a licence as im not sure if I would get a refund.Will my home be inspected before licence is granted,if ever.Comments appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

the safe has to be fixed to a solid wall before you get the licence, at least around here anyways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When applying for a firearm (rifle) you tick section 3.5 saying you comply with the secure accomodations SI. Meaning you have all the necessary security measures required before you applied. If you do not have a safe then technically you should not have ticked the box.

My advice is to get the safe. If refused you can re-apply again and will already have the safe.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Thanks for that, do the Gardai inspect your safe before licence is granted,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

depends some do some don't luck of the draw.

Ezridax wrote: »
    When applying for a firearm (rifle) you tick section 3.5 saying you comply with the secure accomodations SI. Meaning you have all the necessary security measures required before you applied. If you do not have a safe then technically you should not have ticked the box.

My advice is to get the safe. If refused you can re-apply again and will already have the safe.

Thanks Ezridax,will pick up safe tomorrow so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Look for a second hand one on DoneDeal or here in the sales section. You should get a 3/4 gun safe that will hold 1 scoped rifle for under 100€ easy second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

When I put in I bought a safe and attached a copy of the receipt with the application. Whether you legally need one or not this shows your security aware and conches. IMO this go's in your favor when it comes to the outcome of the license

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Serious question here - since the RoI is outside the UK, which has the British Standards Institute test and assessment organisation that provides the famous 'kite-mark' and ISO9000 standards to objects like gun safes, what standards of manufacturing security and materials are required in the Republic?

Here, as many of you know, all gun safes/containers have to meet the required standards of construction and use - nothing else is acceptable.

TIA

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Hi Tac,

We have to meet the British standards as a minimum, below is taken from the Garda Website on Secure Accommodation SI 307 of 2009.

Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securelyfixed to a solid structure.

Then if you have 2 or more restricted or the in total or more you must also meet:

The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

I think all manufacturers of Safes (as very few if any are produced here) meet or exceed the standard.

Regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Scalachi wrote: »
    Hi Tac,

We have to meet the British standards as a minimum, below is taken from the Garda Website on Secure Accommodation SI 307 of 2009.

Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securelyfixed to a solid structure.

Then if you have 2 or more restricted or the in total or more you must also meet:

The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

I think all manufacturers of Safes (as very few if any are produced here) meet or exceed the standard.

Regards

DB

Sir - many thanks for that information - as I 'spected - exactly the same as here!

tac

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info,much appreciated.

Advertisement