Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Ghost Hunt in The Dark?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Why do TV ghosthunters always (seem) to go ghosthunting in the dark?

Is that a TV thing to make things scarier? Or are spirits more active at night? And if so, why?

Thanks..

Comments

Probably just to make it scarier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Thank you for sharing. Yes that must be why.

Probably just to make it scarier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Its to create an atmosphere as most people growing up were afraid of the dark as children so it brings the childhood fear of the dark back when watching the show.

Shows like that just wouldn't be scary in the daytime. Especially because a lot of them rely on you not actually seeing anything, as such, so it just wouldn't work in the bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MeadhbhL3

Shows like that just wouldn't be scary in the daytime. Especially because a lot of them rely on you not actually seeing anything, as such, so it just wouldn't work in the bright.

Ya there is the not being scary element but also your senses are heightened when the light is taken away from you, your eyes adjust and your hearing and smell etc is heightened. Plus if there is something there that doesn't want to be found it would prefer to lurk in the dark.
    And its loads more fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the main reason yet, they shoot the footage in the dark because it's easier to pretend there are ghosts, werewolves, and tooth-fairies etc when the person viewing cannot see so well because of the lack of light.

dusf wrote: »
    I am surprised nobody has mentioned the main reason yet, they shoot the footage in the dark because it's easier to pretend there are ghosts, werewolves, and tooth-fairies etc when the person viewing cannot see so well because of the lack of light.

How about we just add, in your opinion to that statement above and leave it at that eh?

MeadhbhL3 wrote: »
    How about we just add, in your opinion to that statement above and leave it at that eh?

Well it's not just my opinion, it is a fact that none of these things have ever been proven, this is mostly likely due to the fact they do not exist.

Well it's not just my opinion, it is a fact that none of these things have ever been proven, this is mostly likely due to the fact they do not exist.

It is not a fact. It is an opinion. You cannot say they do not exist when you don't know.

It is not a fact. It is an opinion. You cannot say they do not exist when you don't know.

The onus of proof is not on the person saying something does exist, it's on the person saying something does exist.

You cannot prove I do not have a gold toilet but if I were to profess to the onus would be on me to prove it.

Also, you are saying it is not a fact the existence of ghosts, leprechauns, or Santa Claus has been proven? Which do you think has been proven, and where is this proof?

Please do not present me with things like "I felt a presence", if you were to it would not be proof, it would just be something in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Can you say for a fact that ghosts do exist? If so please provide evidence. Thank you.

I didn't say a word about feeling a presence. I'm not a medium, I'm not a psychic, I am a skeptic and I came into this field to find out for myself if there is life after death. I throw a lot of things out that people would consider as proof but again its a matter of opinion. I like to believe that there is another life after this one. I have had my own experiences that I cannot disprove and that is amazing to me.
    Why are you on a paranormal forum if you do not believe in even the possibility that something might exist?

Can you say for a fact that ghosts do exist? If so please provide evidence. Thank you.

Can you say for a fact that they do not exist?

Can you say for a fact that they do not exist?

I absolutely can. Until I am proven otherwise they do not exist. You need to raise your burden of proof a little. Can you prove to me the existence of a flying teapot orbiting Venus? If not, why not?
    I throw a lot of things out that people would consider as proof but again its a matter of opinion

Like what for instance?
    Why are you on a paranormal forum if you do not believe in even the possibility that something might exist?

To debunk utter garbage I would say.

I absolutely can. Until I am proven otherwise they do not exist. You need to raise your burden of proof a little. Can you prove to me the existence of a flying teapot orbiting Venus? If not, why not?

Like what for instance?

To debunk utter garbage I would say.

lol I am not even going to bother telling you what I have seen and haven't seen. Not worth my while.
    All matters of opinion. But I'd rather you keep yours to yourself from now on on this forum.

I didn't say a word about feeling a presence. I'm not a medium, I'm not a psychic, I am a skeptic and I came into this field to find out for myself if there is life after death.

Sceptics do not believe in life after death.
    I throw a lot of things out that people would consider as proof but again its a matter of opinion.

Proof is proof, it is there or it is not, and it is definitely not a matter of opinion.
    I like to believe that there is another life after this one.

I do not think you understand the term sceptic.
    I have had my own experiences that I cannot disprove and that is amazing to me.

Whatever warm fuzzy feeling or hallucination you had can be explained away by science.

Because this is a free and public forum, the OP's question came up
    on the boards homepage, and the question had not been answered correctly.

Sceptics do not believe in life after death.

Proof is proof, it is there or it is not, and it is definitely not a matter of opinion.

I do not think you understand the term sceptic.

Whatever warm fuzzy feeling or hallucination you had can be explained away by science.

Because this is a free and public forum, the OP's question came up
    on the boards homepage, and the question had not been answered correctly.

I'd rather you not cast aspersions on my mental state or my capabilities of undestanding words. I do not hallucinate, I do not make things up and yes I am a healthy sceptic. I want to believe there is something and so I am out to find out whether there is or not.
    I rely on science in all investigations, all of my team do.

I'd rather you not cast aspersions on my mental state or my capabilities of undestanding words.

Then look up the dictionary, sceptics do not believe in things that are not there.
    I do not hallucinate, I do not make things up and yes I am a healthy sceptic.

You have mentioned your experiences being the reason for your belief, if you are experiencing something that is not there it's either an hallucination or a fraud etc.
    I want to believe there is something and so I am out to find out whether there is or not.

I want to believe I am a billionaire, but I do not want to believe it enough that I actually believe that I am one.
    I rely on science in all investigations, all of my team do.

And apparently thus far science has shown you have no proof, and I would not hold your breath on that changing any time soon.

M3eadhbhL wrote: »
    lol I am not even going to bother telling you what I have seen and haven't seen. Not worth my while.

Please do tell me what you have seen. Why wouldn't it be worth your while? Are you just not bothered with trying to convince people?
    M3eadhbhL wrote: »
    All matters of opinion. But I'd rather you keep yours to yourself from now on on this forum.

I'd rather a lot of things happened in this world, but things sometimes don't work out the way we want them to. Why shouldn't your opinions be challenged on a public forum? If you don't like it you could always start your own forum.

Hear hear!

Also, that was a good book :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Is it not to do with electro magnetics and the belief that spirits feed off electrics which are stronger in the dark

I'm not here to convince anyone. I don't give a rats ass whether you believe or not. Just do not tell me that things do not exist when I know what I have seen and heard.
    I am a sceptic, which means I maintain a doubting attitude and I question things. If I doubt something, then I throw it out.

alie wrote: »
    Is it not to do with electro magnetics and the belief that spirits feed off electrics which are stronger in the dark

How convenient for those profiting from ghost shows being on television.

Then look up the dictionary, sceptics do not believe in things that are not there.

You have mentioned your experiences being the reason for your belief, if you are experiencing something that is not there it's either an hallucination or a fraud etc.

I want to believe I am a billionaire, but I do not want to believe it enough that I actually believe that I am one.

And apparently thus far science has shown you have no proof, and I would not hold your breath on that changing any time soon.[/QUOTE

How about you look up sceptic in the dictionary and tell me what you find.

Just do not tell me that things do not exist when I know what I have seen and heard.

You hallucinated or someone was playing a prank on you etc. If they did exist there would be proof. You have no proof.

I think it is important here that you mentioned you want to believe. This may very well have contributed to a hallucination. Some people see what they want to see.
    I am a sceptic, which means I maintain a doubting attitude and I question things. If I doubt something, then I throw it out.

I suspect you throw out things that do not agree with what you want to be the case. This is not scepticism, it is faith.

If you truly were a sceptic you would demand proof before belief.

How about you look up sceptic in the dictionary and tell me what you find.

It says 'Not MeadhbhL3'.

And apparently thus far science has shown you have no proof, and I would not hold your breath on that changing any time soon.
    It says 'Not MeadhbhL3'.

Nobody played a trick on me, a few people saw the same thing. Yea I would like to believe but it takes a lot to convince me.

Nobody played a trick on me, a few people saw the same thing.

I would imagine all these people that were with you ghost hunting wanted to see ghosts too.
    Yea I would like to believe but it takes a lot to convince me.

A lot, but short of proof apparently.

I'm not here to convince anyone. I don't give a rats ass whether you believe or not. Just do not tell me that things do not exist when I know what I have seen and heard.

They do not exist. It was in your mind.

Unless you have something that can substantiate what you have "seen and heard" you will not convince me. Nor many others for that matter.

You do not seem to realise that the term 'sceptical' can cut both ways.

• Advertisement

They do not exist. It was in your mind.

Unless you have something that can substantiate what you have "seen and heard" you will not convince me. Nor many others for that matter.

You do not seem to realise that the term 'sceptical' can cut both ways.

You are the one disagreeing so this is all on you. I present as findings what I believe is something that cannot be explained. After that it is up to people what to make of it. But it has to be something very strange for us to look into it and try to debunk it.

Advertisement