Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't get into any nursing programs?

Options
  • 02-03-2012 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i'm graduating high school this year and i don't have good grades at all. i wanted to go to school for nursing but i hear that all nursing programs are really competitive and it might take me years to get into one. i don't know what to do. should i take classes to bring my gpa up until i can apply or should i just try to find something else i could pursue? all i want to do is nursing and i'm upset that i won't be able to get into any programs and i can't think of anything else i would rather do. what should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

i'm graduating high school this year and i don't have good grades at all. i wanted to go to school for nursing but i hear that all nursing programs are really competitive and it might take me years to get into one. i don't know what to do. should i take classes to bring my gpa up until i can apply or should i just try to find something else i could pursue? all i want to do is nursing and i'm upset that i won't be able to get into any programs and i can't think of anything else i would rather do. what should i do?
    Hi elatrobear - If you want to be something bad enough you MUST go back and get better grades. Don't settle for doing something second best in life because you'll probably end up back on this forum in 5/10 years time, full of regrets and wishing you'd pursued your dream the first time round. Well that’s only my opinion. I'm trying to get into science at 40 and I wish I'd done this years ago instead of making do with retail and admin jobs. You'll never feel fulfilled in anything less than the job you are most passionate about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Hi scoob , just read your post, inspiring. Did you go back to repeat leaving cert? I'm in two minds, go back and repeat or apply to the colleges in Ireland and the UK. The points needed are high so not sure if would get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Hi scoob , just read your post, inspiring. Did you go back to repeat leaving cert? I'm in two minds, go back and repeat or apply to the colleges in Ireland and the UK. The points needed are high so not sure if would get them.
    Hi Anyusername
    No I haven't got the leaving cert. Infact I did terrible at school and didn't leave with much at all. But from the age of 25 I went back to education and got my English, ECDL, a diploma in Business and Marketing (cause it seemed a good idea at the time lol) and later the leaving cert maths. At 38 I felt I was pretty much locked into admin work until I was made redundant from a legal advice line. I was unemployed for a year looking for similar work when I came across a FETAC 5 that contained science modules. Over the years I enjoyed reading science books/mags and decided to go for it. A year later I got all distinctions and now there's no stopping me. I have applied as a mature student to do a higher cert in science for next September, with the intention of doing a biomedical degree. I've taught myself junior cert chemistry and physics and leaving cert physics. I've already got my Biology. I feel really excited about my working future for the first time in my life. You mention about doing a Speech Language course - where do you plan to do this? How old are you - are you a mature student because if so I would def apply as a mature. Doing the leaving cert will improve your chances of getting on a course (esp. if the points are high) as you can apply as a mature and with your leaving cert results too. It's up to you, but obviously doing the leaving cert route will take a lot longer. If you do decide to just apply as a mature student (without the leaving cert) you need to be able to bring something to the table (as it will be an interview) with respect to work experience or something that shows your dedication to the course and your understanding of what you are really getting into as a career. Anyway hope I'm not rambling too much - it's late and I'm tired lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

FETAC offer a Nursing Studies course (one year) that includes work experience and fulfils the 'recent study' requirement for mature applicants to UK nursing courses.

(Are you in Ireland OP?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP
    From your post I'm assuming you are in the US. If so the specific advice and info on this forum may not be as relevant to your situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement