Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault Scenic 'Check Injector' Fault?

• 02-03-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 1.5 diesel 03 Scenic II. It recently flew through the nct, no problems with anything.
    However, since I purchased it a few months ago, when the diesel runs down to just under half a tank, the 'check ignition' message would appear a few times then disappear.

I don't usually let the fuel run down too much after the empty light comes on (at this point it indicates you still have a range of 100km left til empty), however twice in the past week when it has run down to near the 100km left range & the 'check ignition' message has appeared more frequently.

Today when driving it, a new message appeared 'Injector fault'.

It had previously been taking 2 attempts to start it from cold (first time it would chug, accelerator would not respond, then would cut out. on second attempt engine would start immediately & run smoothly).

Googling the fault leaves me terrified with stories of €2000+ repair costs for replacing full fuel systems/injectors :eek:

A few weeks ago my husband cleaned out the EGR valve, it was really coked up & I think he said the pipe to it had a small gap where it was loosely connected.
    He gave that a thorough clean & refitted it. After doing that, there was an increase in performance & the 'Check ignition' message didn't appear as frequently.

I have come across the following recommended solutions for the fault on Renault forums:

Faulty cam shaft sensor
    Faulty injectors
    Dirty fuel filter
    Faulty glow plugs
    Faulty glow plug module

I know the most logical advice would be to bring it to a Renault dealership & get it put on the computer for them to read the fault.

However I've also read lots of forums where people have been told that the standard response from Renault is the dearest option (replace 4 injectors & full fuel system) only for the individual to get a second opinion & find it was only one injector faulty :eek:.
    I really don't want to fork out €60+ that I don't have only to be given an inconclusive response (or heart attack :o).

Is it only Renault garages that have the equipment to read the error codes or should smaller independent garages be able to do the same?

Also, would a glow plug or glow plug module fault really prompt an error message while the car is warm & running?
    I thought at they only affect start up that it should only really prompt an error message at start up. (no error message of any sort appears when I start the car).

Should I be looking at the two issues (needing two attempts to start when cold and 'check ignition' message) as two seperate faults? or does it sound like they could be related?

I know it sounds like I'm going ar$e about face asking for advice online instead of getting it checked by a mechanic as would be the most logical course of action.
    But to be honest after spending €400+ to get it through the nct last month, my funds are entirely depleted so I need to try work through the cheapest possible options first.

Any advice and/or feedback from someone that has experienced the same fault would be really appreciated!

I'm tempted to try new fuel filter/oil filter/glow plugs - but doing that is €100 odd in parts.
    One one hand it may be no harm to do this anyway as the filters anyway are service parts. Ramble over!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

OP, the car you own is probably the most troublesome conveyance ever known to man.

The Mods will slate me.

The professional mechanics reading this will chuckle. They've been there, done that...

Its a dog. get rid of it ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

OP it would be cheaper to have the car diagnosed properly then to start buying parts and hoping for the best.

Be prepared though, as you've researched, expensive injector/fuel system are far from uncommon with this engine.

As an aside, I'd recommend some research on the early scenic II's numerous other expensive issues before you make any decision on its future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks folks, unfortunately I was won over by the fuel economy on it & the spacious interior on it :rolleyes:

It's only now that I am the proud owner that I am discovering the myriad of faults that come with ownership of said vehicle.

I'm hoping to sort the fault then sell asap, just can't afford to hang on to a car that needs so much regular tlc! need to get the problems sorted before I sell it though, catch 22 really :(

Advertisement