Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The All Ireland Run

• 02-03-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys...just putting an idea out there to see if anyone thinks I'm mad as hell...travel through the 32 counties of Ireland in 32 hours...four day period with 8 hours traveling every day...well??? And photograph, document, media saturate the whole thing....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Thekopkid

It's a great idea but I'm going to try the around Ireland in. 24 hours first

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gortan60

Do you plan to do the 24hr run without a break or what? Interested in your angle for doing it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thekopkid wrote: »
    It's a great idea but I'm going to try the around Ireland in. 24 hours first

Is that even possible?

Yea you have to do a total lap of the country and have 24 hours to do it and you have to get date and time printed receipts at listed points along the way .you must have a withness and a receipt from your stating point it's 950 miles in 24 hours it might sound easy but it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Did 1000 miles in 24 hours (no motorways, except brief bits up North) and got an Iron Butt certificate for it. Was in 2000 I think :)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Did 1000 miles in 24 hours (no motorways, except brief bits up North) and got an Iron Butt certificate for it. Was in 2000 I think :)

That's fantastic we'll done that's where I got the idea from
    " iron butt association " it's pretty complex rules to get a cert so fair play

Dunno if I'd recommend it really, even at the time it seemed a bit mad :eek: :pac:
    Very hard to keep an average of 42mph (including stops) without using motorways hardly at all, or even dual carriageways much, most of the 'main' roads then were crap!
    The hardest part was reaching the petrol station at the end point in Inchicore and getting proof of reaching 1000 miles, yay! - then the adrenaline ran out and I still had to ride the few miles home. Could hardly get my leg over the bike :pac: Had a bath, slept a bit, got on a bus to Dun Laoghaire and went to the awards party... don't remember much of that...

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

My father did Sligo-Malin head-Mizen head-Sligo in a day for charity a couple of years back, not quite 1000 miles but an awful lot of bad roads on it.

Hes also gone through Texas in a day, similiar distance but mostly decent straight road. He said actually found that one more difficult due to boredom!

Can't say that type of riding particularly appeals to me personally though!

AgileMyth wrote: »
    My father did Sligo-Malin head-Mizen head-Sligo in a day for charity a couple of years back, not quite 1000 miles but an awful lot of bad roads on it.

Just did a quick check and that's almost 1000km as the crow flies. Obviously it would be a lot more on the road and, as you say, a lot of the roads wouldn't be great.

The 1000 mile route was (IIRC) Dublin - Wexford - Waterford - Cork - Limerick - Ennis - Athenry - Sligo - Letterkenny - Derry - Coleraine - Ballymena - Belfast - Dublin - pretty much 1000km / 600 miles, you could stop at that point and get a lesser award. To complete the 1000 miles you then had to do Limerick - Cork - Dublin.

It was cleverly enough worked out that (given the bad state of the national routes at that time) you'd be doing the hours of darkness - not too many in the middle of June - on the best roads : Ballymena - Belfast - Dublin - Limerick, with Cork-Dublin being a relatively easy road for the most tired part. The worst bit was Ennis up to Sligo, tough roads (poor surfaces, lots of bends etc) which was OK at the time as it was still daylight, but tired you out a lot, and the effects of that were felt later! There was always the feeling every time you stopped that the clock was ticking, too.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

On the Ennis to Sligo route you have a nice break from bad roads once you hit Mayo. For some reason the stretch through Mayo is a lot better than the rest of that road..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Redfred100

Did it - June 24th 2003 - one of 3 riders. All 32 counties in 18:15 - confirmed by Iron Butt Association. Go for it, its a great achievement. Good luck and looking forward to hearing of your success.

Advertisement