Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

people who dont thank you for being nice

• 03-03-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭

so , you know the score , you hold open the door , allow them out in traffic , you say good day or thank you and ........ zilch nada nothing

is it just me or i this just rude and bad manners ? or is it me being 2 sensitive ?

bugs the crap out of me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Just looking for a clap on the back for being a nice person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yeah, sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Samich wrote: »
    Just looking for a clap on the back for being a nice person.

no , not at all - being nice because it makes things easier for all

just dont understand not doing the same in return for a random act of kindness

my question is why would you not return the gesture ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ryan06

I agree. Especially the traffic one, it doesn't take much for someone to give a quick press of the hazard lights to say thanks. When I let someone out and they don't say thanks it makes me wish I could turn time back a few seconds like the prince of persia and not let them out. Is the hazard lights being a thanks button an Irish thing I wonder, like the clapping when the plane lands?

Domo230 wrote: »
    Be nice for the sake of being nice.

Don't do it just to get your ego stroked.

but i dont , im just a nice guy - its nice to be nice , why be a prick

i dont get it ? who benefits ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

dj jarvis wrote: »

bugs the crap out of me

It's nice to be nice

But there are more important things in life that would bug me

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Or the people who don't bother taking the door off you as you hold it. I'm not a bloody doorman! If you time it right, you can let go and give a side of the door to the face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

OP, do you do all this nice stuff because you want a Gaisce Award, or because you think it's the right thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

but i dont , im just a nice guy - its nice to be nice , why be a prick

i dont get it ? who benefits ?

You are a nice person, the fact that some people don't acknowledge that reflects badly on them, not you.

sgb wrote: »
    It's nice to be nice

But there are more important things in life that would bug me

LOL , ffs i know more important things happen in life :-)

this just happens to be one i dont understand - just asking the question

its nice to be nice - so why be a prick ??? this is the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

you say good day or thank you and ........ zilch nada nothing

This is why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's not as bad as people who don't thank your posts.

Sauve wrote: »
    This is why.

ok sorry , i should have said whatsthecraic , howarya , storybud , sup , weeeelllllllll , *grunt*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

ok sorry , i should have said whatsthecraic , howarya , storybud , sup , weeeelllllllll , *grunt*

Do you really say 'good day'? I'm genuinely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

I normally don't care if people don't say thanks but I remember one day I was going into the bank and a woman behind me had a pram. So I helped her get the pram up the 3 steps and held the door for her.

Not only did she not say thanks but she went ahead of me in the que and then had a 5 minute conversation with the girl behind the counter about how great her pram was!!!

So did a nice thing and lost 5 minutes listening to her go on and on about her bloody pram.

Worst part of it all is that I still hold the door open. Never learnt my lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just yesterday I was driving along a country road and pulled in to let a woman by, I could see her 17 offspring having a party in the back of her minibus/SUV....did I get a "thank you" gesture. I did in my hole. Eyes fixed straight ahead, I may as well have been part of the hedge.

Some people are so absorbed in their own existence it makes me sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I hate when someone bumps into you and even though it's not your fault, you say 'sorry' anyway, and then the other person doesn't say sorry, making it seem like they think you're the one who should have apologised.

I feel like running after them and shouting "hey, you know that 'sorry', well I take it back, I take it back!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If I had slaves I'd beat them whether they did a good job or not. In fact I'd beat the ones who tried to do a good job harder than the ones who did a half-arsed job.

FoxT wrote: »
    OP, do you do all this nice stuff because you want a Gaisce Award, or because you think it's the right thing to do?[/QUOTe

the right thing to do - manners are part of who i am - cost nothing
    99% of people respond the same , its the 1% i dont get

even if im in a foul humor i would still try and be mannerly
    why would you not?

Sauve wrote: »
    Do you really say 'good day'? I'm genuinely interested.

LOL no ..... no i dont - poetic license ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Domo230 wrote: »
    Be nice for the sake of being nice.

Don't do it just to get your ego stroked.

People who do things like hold doors open for others, or let cars pull out at junctions, rarely do so to get their ego stroked.

It's simply a matter of common courtesy.

It's also a matter of common courtesy that you acknowledge these acts. People who don't are pricks.

People who do things like hold doors open for others, or let cars pull out at junctions, rarely do so to get their ego stroked.

It's also a matter of common courtesy that you acknowledge these acts. People who don't are pricks.

bingo - thank you :D

not so common apparently

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm very mannerly with a great memory for faces. I'll always hold a door open unless I've happened upon you 6 or 7 years ago when you didn't say thanks, then....

BANG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Mohammed Ali - “A man who truly does something from his heart don’t look for thanks, nor do he look to see the results, he just do it.”

:cool:

Mohammed Ali - “A man who truly does something from his heart don’t look for thanks, nor do he look to see the results, he just do it.”

im not doing it from my " heart " , doing it it from my social responsibility to try not to be a prick - again why not be nice ?, even at a basic level

what do you gain being a asshole - dont get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Ryan06 wrote: »
    like the clapping when the plane lands?

the only thing i hate more then this is people clapping after the film ends in the cinema...its just fu***** re******

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

im not doing it from my " heart " , doing it it from my social responsibility to try not to be a prick - again why not be nice ?, even at a basic level

Arseholes derive a certain amount of pleasure from being arseholes.

It's the main reason they're arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Exactly. It costs nothing to be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

its nice to be nice - so why be a prick ??? this is the question

Cause some people are pricks :)

• Advertisement

that is the bit i dont get - how do you get pleasure from being something most people dislike ?
    strange to me - who would actively befriend a asshole ?
    why would you want to be a asshole - it has no benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Oh all sorts my friend. Self-amusement is the main one I guess. I also have got some degree of satisfaction that I have wound someone up. But most of all it amuses me the endless supply of the number of eejits who come on After Hours to rant about nonsensical and banal things who then expect serious responses. After Hours is not the place to be if you want a serious discussion. What did you really hope to gain from posting this on a public forum at 1 in the morning I wonder? People to agree with you? Reassurance? Lively, intellectual debate? Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

the only thing i hate more then this is people clapping after the film ends in the cinema...its just fu***** re******

Oh come on its a good thing to do, inside, many celebrity worlds away Peter Jackson gets an inexplicable feeling of warmness when you put those hands together.

Oh all sorts my friend. Self-amusement is the main one I guess. I also have got some degree of satisfaction that I have wound someone up. But most of all it amuses me the endless supply of the number of eejits who come on After Hours to rant about nonsensical and banal things who then expect serious responses. After Hours is not the place to be if you want a serious discussion. What did you really hope to gain from posting this on a public forum at 1 in the morning I wonder? People to agree with you? Reassurance? Lively, intellectual debate? Please.

sorry but im not a noob on AH and was full aware the posts i was going to get , but after i trawl past the usual smart arse comments i might ,just might get a funny and intelligent answer to a simple question

i understand in AH the range on ****e i have to wade into might put most off, but sometimes you do get some genuinely enlightening responses

but thanks for fitting the profile perfectly ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Sometimes when I see extreme arseholery at work, I wonder to myself: "Were these people born arseholes or did they have to work really hard at it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Thanks for being nice op

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

so , you know the score , you hold open the door , allow them out in traffic , you say good day or thank you and ........ zilch nada nothing

is it just me or i this just rude and bad manners ? or is it me being 2 sensitive ?

bugs the crap out of me

It would be nice if a person was thanked.
    However if I hold a door open etc, I do it to be helpful, not for self-gratification or validation of my personal worth in expecting a thanks.
    I do it (often) to be nice to a fellow human being, thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Chivalry is dead, it's with O'Leary in the grave

If I hold the door for someone, it's not hard to say thanks. One word, an excelling of air, I mean really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I usually nut them and beat them up for not being polite, It teaches them a lesson, they will thank people from there on in.

I am such a nice person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's weird. I always hold the door for whoever's behind me, and I don't typically see other people fail to do so, and think nothing of it. The other day, however, I held the door for someone coming behind me and she stopped short, looked surprised, as if this wasn't normal. She smiled and said thank you, and it kinda occurred to me then that most people don't do that. I know I do, out of habit. That Ali quote kinda rings true to me there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I honestly don't get why people get annoyed if someone doesn't thank or acknowledge them. Who cares?!!

As has been said already, it's nice to be nice. Couldn't give a flying fuck if someone acknowledges something as trivial as me holding a door open for them. I do it out of common courtesy and to be polite/nice, not to stroke my ego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

It doesn't have to be classified as being nice, it's common courtesy.

Someone holds the door just say fecking well thanks, they didn't have to hold it open...

If someone is serving you, even if they're being paid, say thanks, it can make a long shift seem a bit easier.

Swear to christ, my 3 and 5 year old have better manners than a lot of adults I've met. My granny used to be very rude to waiting staff, I was always mortified when she did it. She was short of snapping her fingers at them. I reckon there were times when she got more than she ordered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It just doesn't take any effort to make the lives of those around you a little more pleasant really. For that reason, I'm still going to hold doors and stop lifts for running people and the like, but by the same token, getting a smile or a thanks in return isn't too bad. Just kinda oils up the mechanism of the social contract really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think the op secretely hates the fact he has to carry on with these customs . And this is why it upsets him so much. I hold doors open all the time. Some people sy thanks some dont. Some are nice people some are dicks. I dont get offended , its not a personal insult their mothers just never thought them manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

After Hours is not the place to be if you want a serious discussion. What did you really hope to gain from posting this on a public forum at 1 in the morning I wonder? People to agree with you? Reassurance? Lively, intellectual debate? Please.
    Haha, look at you, imagining you're on reddit or 4chan.
    After Hours isn't the sadistic shïthole people like you imagine it to be, y'know?

grindle wrote: »
    Haha, look at you, imagining you're on reddit or 4chan.
    After Hours isn't the sadistic ****hole people like you imagine it to be, y'know?

Sure it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Sure it is!

Wishful thinking. AH is a bit nudge-nudge, wink-wink, but I've yet to see a constant stream of people who've had their lives ruined by it.

grindle wrote: »
    Wishful thinking. AH is a bit nudge-nudge, wink-wink, but I've yet to see a constant stream of people who've had their lives ruined by it.

I know, I probably should have hit the sarcy smilie. There are times when I want to get a poster and b1tch slap a poster upside the head, but once the ars3holery dies down on a serious topic it can be very lively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

cloptrop wrote: »
    I think the op secretely hates the fact he has to carry on with these customs . And this is why it upsets him so much. I hold doors open all the time. Some people sy thanks some dont.
    I think you may be right. I know i do small stuff like hold doors etc and whether or not i'm thanked makes no difference. I do admit to being once annoyed at not being thanked nicely enough for parting with two precious euros for charity.. would like to hope i've loosened up on the stinginess a bit since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Was driving up a narrow lane, pulled in when saw a car coming maybe 100 yds ahead.. and waited.

Yer wan crawled along and past me, never so much as looked in my direction. I had more than half a mind to go after her and tear the skin off her face and feed it to her kids.

cloptrop wrote: »
    I think the op secretely hates the fact he has to carry on with these customs . And this is why it upsets him so much. I hold doors open all the time. Some people sy thanks some dont. Some are nice people some are dicks. I dont get offended , its not a personal insult their mothers just never thought them manners.

nothing of the sort - i find being mannerly and courteous a big plus in life , takes NO effort and spreads the good vibe to the masses

my point was why do some people just ignore this gesture , it takes no effort to respond , not that i REALLY care if i get one or not
    it has nothing to do with ego stroking or the like

why would you not respond in kind when somebody obviously went out of their way to be nice to you - not looking for thanks - just don't get it

i definitely DON'T get offended - i just wonder why

• Advertisement
Advertisement