Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touring Nepal- what do I need to know?

• 03-03-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm taking a month out of my year in New Zealand to travel to Nepal. My mate there is an Irish expat working as a photojournalist. He wants us to go on a months road trip to see the country from the back of a couple of Royal Enfields and write a series of articles based on our adventures.

He will have almost everything arranged for my arrival. He's been there five years and speaks the language. He has at least one bike arranged free-of-charge from a bike rental company. He has a choice of bikes through friends that will work as backups if the rental company doesn't come through with the other. and a rough itinerary of what we'd like to see.

Personally, I'm just concerned about surviving the trip relatively comfortably without falling foul of the authorities. Aside from that, I just need to try to find out what's likely to happen to these little Enfields and what's problems are surmountable in the bush. I'm wondering about laptops and technology out there and I'm also concerned about the quality of local helmets and safety equipment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are plenty of companies offering guided tours through India (near enough, eh) with a mechanic and a van on hand when your Royal Enfield inevitably breaks down...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Local safety equipment - flip flops and a t-shirt (optional)

In places like that, helmets (if worn at all) are regarded as more of a sun shade than anything else. It's bad enough in Spain, lots go round in something that looks like a builder's hard hat.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow that sounds amazing, fair play! I was watching "Worlds most dangerous roads" last night - two comedians go on mad adventures - and it was through nepal. Seems incredible. Potentially suicidal, but incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Zascar wrote: »
    Wow that sounds amazing, fair play! I was watching "Worlds most dangerous roads" last night - two comedians go on mad adventures - and it was through nepal. Seems incredible. Potentially suicidal, but incredible!

Yes, I saw that too, unbelievable. Top Gear did something similar recently, through India I think. I remembered their Vietnam trip on scooters...hilarious.:p

Seems to me two wheels is suicidal....yikes!!!!
    I ride a Goldwing, I prefer to stick to tarmac whenever I can...

QDM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Saw that show last night. you need a tight sphincter to go riding there

• Advertisement
Advertisement