Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pale blue dot- do we need another one?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭

do we need another pale blue dot picture. I am surprised after all these years and all the spacecraft that have gone out to distant planets that we have not taken another one?

i think it would be interesting to see it done again.

Hopefully it will be but with NASA funding being cut i cant see it happening anytime soon.

Comments

I'm not sure it needs to be done again, to be honest.

There's something magical about not just the picture itself--the Earth suspended in a sunbeam--but about Sagan's speech which often accompanies it.

It's already a masterpiece, and any image which tried to replicate it--even if only replicated in its idea--would be nothing compared to Pale Blue Dot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

gvn wrote: »
    I'm not sure it needs to be done again, to be honest.

There's something magical about not just the picture itself--the Earth suspended in a sunbeam--but about Sagan's speech which often accompanies it.

It's already a masterpiece, and any image which tried to replicate it--even if only replicated in its idea--would be nothing compared to Pale Blue Dot.
    I agree it was a classic image and Sagans words are beautiful and inspirational. We have no other spacecraft far enough away to take a shot like that at this time. New Horizons on its way to Pluto might be able to do it after its main mission is complete but I don't see it happening unless there is a scientific benefit to it.

We live on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam ~ Carl Sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

As this article indicates, we may be getting closer to discovering other "pale blue dots" (Earth-like planets) around stars other than the Sun. A new technique promises to overcome the difficulty of detecting planets against the background of the glare from their parent stars.

http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1210/

eso1210a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cassini took its own "pale blue dot" photo from Saturn orbit a few years ago:

Saturn%20Earth%20Cassini%20cr.gif

Spirit took this one of Earth from the surface of Mars a few years ago:

youarehere.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    As this article indicates, we may be getting closer to discovering other "pale blue dots" (Earth-like planets) around stars other than the Sun. A new technique promises to overcome the difficulty of detecting planets against the background of the glare from their parent stars.

http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1210/

eso1210a.jpg

I wonder how we will cope when we find out that there are other forms of life throughout the cosmos?,i have no doubt that there is.
    Carl Sagan i wonder sometimes did he create humanism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement