Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stevia? Side effects?!

Options
  • 03-03-2012 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hey bought some stevia today and couldnt wait to try it!!
    a way to have tea with sugar or artificial sweeteners!!!
    but to sadly be disappointed that im suffering side effects from it!!
    its causing alot of gas :(
    is there any reason behind this?? i'm very disappointed it doesn't seem to agree with me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

sorry was meant to put this in nutrition and diet forum not health and fitness ! how do i delete or move this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Pure Stevia can be quite expensive.

Do you know or does the product tell you the REB-A%

Basically the higher the % the closer it is in terms of sweetness compared to say Sucralose.

Sucralose is 600 times sweeter than table sugar and 98-99% REB-A Stevia is 480.

Get to the point I hear you cry - ok! :D

Not all Stevia is the same - some use methanol, enzymes and formaldehyde in their extraction process.

In theory this could explain the gas - HOWEVER the quantities used are so small that it is difficult to say it is the cause.

A stevia using water extraction is coming to the EU now perhaps this would be better but only time will tell as this one is over 6 weeks away from getting to production co's.

What else is in your stevia product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The Guvnor wrote: »

What else is in your stevia product?

Probably maltodextrin. All the stevia products I've seen have had that.

Advertisement